Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!

Hope you are all well,

I'm having issues with the test on the official website in trying to figure out if i can apply yet it keeps asling me if I left the country on March 2014 when i wasnt even here yet. I came to canada august 2014 and got a visitor status and extended it. After i applied for PR and became a PR on March 30 2017. Its going to expire 15 May 2022. I also never left the country since my first visit.

Can i apply for citizenship?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So you need to have accumulated 3 years physical presence in the 5 years preceding the application date. This 3 years can be made up with a minimum 2 years as a PR and one half day for every complete day before becoming a PR to total 3 years.

In your case you gain 2 years as a PR after March 30 2019 and you imply that you were on visitor status without leaving from August 2014 through to the time you landed as a PR in March 2019 so you can claim 2 years residence as a visitor at one half day for each full day so 1 year credit.

So taking above you could apply for citizenship any time after March 30 2019 although generally recommended to have a few months buffer when applying so maybe wait until May.

Also note PR cards expire, PR status can only be revoked or renounced so your PR card validity is really irrelevant to applying for citizenship although you should submit an application to renew now in case you ever need to travel or as proof you are a PR. For the citizenship application important to have your COPR available and given the time you spent as a visitor any documentation supporting your visitor extensions.

The physical residence calculator just needs to show anytime in the 5 years preceding the application that you were not in Canada, so for you March - August 2014 even though that was not time ‘leaving’ but time you were not even in the country.

Last edited:

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you need to have accumulated 3 years physical presence in the 5 years preceding the application date. This 3 years can be made up with a minimum 2 years as a PR and one half day for every complete day before becoming a PR to total 3 years.

In your case you gain 2 years as a PR after March 30 2019 and you imply that you were on visitor status without leaving from August 2014 through to the time you landed as a PR in March 2019 so you can claim 2 years residence as a visitor at one half day for each full day so 1 year credit.

So taking above you could apply for citizenship any time after March 30 2019 although generally recommended to have a few months buffer when applying so maybe wait until May.

Also note PR cards expire, PR status can only be revoked or renounced so your PR card validity is really irrelevant to applying for citizenship although you should submit an application to renew now in case you ever need to travel or as proof you are a PR. For the citizenship application important to have your COPR available and given the time you spent as a visitor any documentation supporting your visitor extensions.

The physical residence calculator just needs to show anytime in the 5 years preceding the application that you were not in Canada, so for you March - August 2014 even though that was not time ‘leaving’ but time you were not even in the country.
I got it all messed up and said i became PR when i meant temporary resident through sponsorship. And on the card it says expiry is may 2022. So you are saying I should apply in may this year. And what exactly do I extend? Thanks in advance

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM

Can you help me with some advice ,I came to Canada on a OWP September 2016 , applied for PR march 2018 ,got AIP March 2019 , I left Canada for 3 weeks in January 2018 when my mom died , before that I was in Florida
December 2017 for 3 weeks ,how many days I get before my COPR towards my citizenship?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Can you help me with some advice ,I came to Canada on a OWP September 2016 , applied for PR march 2018 ,got AIP March 2019 , I left Canada for 3 weeks in January 2018 when my mom died , before that I was in Florida
December 2017 for 3 weeks ,how many days I get before my COPR towards my citizenship?
You can count one half day for each full day you were physically present in Canada prior to your landing date not the COPR issue date as long as is within the 5 years preceding the citizenship application date. You then need to have been a landed PR for with a minimum 2 years physical presence As a PR to total 3 years in the 5 preceding application date. Use the physical presence indicator tool to work it out but rough guess you are possibly looking at summer 2021 assuming you stay put until then.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?lang=en&pedisable=true

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi!

Hope you are all well,

I'm having issues with the test on the official website in trying to figure out if i can apply yet it keeps asling me if I left the country on March 2014 when i wasnt even here yet. I came to canada august 2014 and got a visitor status and extended it. After i applied for PR and became a PR on March 30 2017. Its going to expire 15 May 2022. I also never left the country since my first visit.

Can i apply for citizenship?
Did you have valid immigration status for every single day you were in Canada before landing as a PR? Days out of status can't be used for Pre-PR time.

Fruityfull22

Star Member
May 13, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you have valid immigration status for every single day you were in Canada before landing as a PR? Days out of status can't be used for Pre-PR time.
The first time I stayed I came with a dutch passport. I was allowed to stay for a certain time but before that time ended I made sure i got a visitor visa and I extended it. Then I got sponsored by my husband. Always made sure i stayed here legally. And i havent left the country since I first got here. Which was august 11 2014