App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
We have 2 original letters, but we got 3 electronically that are documents without signatures. Do I need to have them redo it, and scan it in with a signature?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends on the type of sponsorship that you are submitting. If it's a Common-Law sponsorship, you are required to have two letters that need to be notarized.

Either way, an electronic letter without a signature will be worthless.

DB2101

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
We are applying for common law, where do you see that the letters need to be notarized?

Appendix A for Germany reads:
PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP TO SPONSOR
If you are being sponsored by your parent, you must provide proof of the relationship such as birth
certificates, baptismal certificates or other official document naming your parents.
If you are being sponsored by your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, you must send
evidence of the relationship between you and your sponsor such as wedding photos or proof that
you are partners, letters between you and your sponsor, and telephone bills showing contact
between you and your sponsor.
Note: Photos must be loose. Do not send them in binders, albums, frames or other such containers.
Do not send video discs or video cassettes. Do not send musical greeting cards or other similar
documents containing electronic or mechanical devices.
Proof of your sponsor’s visits such as airline ticket coupons, boarding passes, copies of pages of
your sponsor's passport showing entry/exit stamps.
If you are a common-law or conjugal partner, provide evidence that your relationship is genuine and
continuing and has existed for at least 12 months prior to your application. Also provide details of the
history of your relationship and at least two statutory declarations from individuals with personal
knowledge of your relationship supporting your claim that the relationship is genuine and continuing.
Note :The sponsor and the applicant who are common law or conjugal partners must provide
historical evidence of their ongoing relationship. If they are in a relationship of two years or less and
have no children together, the applicant will receive conditional permanent resident status, if the
application is approved.

And in IMM 5491, it specifically says to send in photocopies for them (Item 25, Supporting documents, Proof of relationship)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf

Can you tell me where you see instructions to get them notarized??

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just think about it...You could sit there and write two different letters in support of your relationship...No signature...Not notarized...How do they know Who wrote them?

DB2101

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
I understand that, but I am asking where it says it has to be notarized. Can someone refer me to where it says it has to be notarized? Maybe I'm blind but I'Ve been searching and see nothing.

In IMM3999 it doesn't mention it:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp

Development of your relationship

Question 9
Describe and explain how your relationship with your sponsor developed after your first contact/meeting. Provide details about outings, trips taken together and photos and documents to support your story.

DB2101

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
Further, you aren't even required to submit them at all....

Proof of Relationship
When you apply for permanent residence as a spouse or common-law partner, you have to prove that your relationship is genuine. The following items can be used as proof of your relationship:

Documents showing a relationship, such as a family medical plan and a joint bank account.
Documents showing shared ownership of property, such as a mortgage and a lease.
A marriage certificate.
A statutory declaration of common-law union (available on our website).
Proof of death, divorce or separation if either you or your spouse were previously married or in a common-law relationship.
Wedding or commitment ceremony invitations and photos.
Proof that you live with your sponsor, such as joint utility bills showing the same address for both of you.
Proof of visits to each other or trips together, such as airline tickets, boarding passes, and copies of the pages in your passport with stamps.
Long distance telephone bills.
Documents naming your partner as a beneficiary, such as insurance policies and a will.
Letters.
Photos of important events.
Statements from family members, friends or others confirming the good faith of your relationship.
Please note that it is not mandatory to include all these items to prove that your relationship is genuine. In addition, other proof can be taken into consideration.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DB2101 said:
We are applying for common law, where do you see that the letters need to be notarized?

Appendix A for Germany reads:
PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP TO SPONSOR
If you are being sponsored by your parent, you must provide proof of the relationship such as birth
certificates, baptismal certificates or other official document naming your parents.
If you are being sponsored by your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, you must send
evidence of the relationship between you and your sponsor such as wedding photos or proof that
you are partners, letters between you and your sponsor, and telephone bills showing contact
between you and your sponsor.
Note: Photos must be loose. Do not send them in binders, albums, frames or other such containers.
Do not send video discs or video cassettes. Do not send musical greeting cards or other similar
documents containing electronic or mechanical devices.
Proof of your sponsor’s visits such as airline ticket coupons, boarding passes, copies of pages of
your sponsor's passport showing entry/exit stamps.
If you are a common-law or conjugal partner, provide evidence that your relationship is genuine and
continuing and has existed for at least 12 months prior to your application. Also provide details of the
history of your relationship and at least two statutory declarations from individuals with personal
knowledge of your relationship supporting your claim that the relationship is genuine and continuing
Note :The sponsor and the applicant who are common law or conjugal partners must provide
historical evidence of their ongoing relationship. If they are in a relationship of two years or less and
have no children together, the applicant will receive conditional permanent resident status, if the
application is approved.

And in IMM 5491, it specifically says to send in photocopies for them (Item 25, Supporting documents, Proof of relationship)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf

Can you tell me where you see instructions to get them notarized??
I guess you didn't see that part. ;)

Statutory declaration is basically the same thing as notarized.

DB2101

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
I'm seeing it, but did not realise two statutory declarations meant notarized!!

DB2101

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
Considering we are ready to mail the package Thursday, it does kind of throw a monkey wrench in there. I'm still trying to sort out the difference between statutory declaration and notarized document to make sure we do this correctly. It's certainly not clear in the instructions.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DB2101 said:
Considering we are ready to mail the package Thursday, it does kind of throw a monkey wrench in there. I'm still trying to sort out the difference between statutory declaration and notarized document to make sure we do this correctly. It's certainly not clear in the instructions.
Unfortunately, you may have a problem with this, because the letters needed to be witnessed by someone of authority (such as a commissioner of oaths, or notary public). Hopefully they'll just ask for these when they start to process the application, but people have had their entire applications returned (deemed incomplete) for less.

Good luck!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You could risk it and send them un-notarized. We did, and nothing was mentioned about it. We did send signed original and not scans though.

DB2101

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
Thanks - luckily we are picking up the police clearance from a translator who has the notary stamp tomorrow afternoon so I (I am the sponsor's mum) can go along with my letter and get it notarized. We have 2 other ones that are from Canada so that would be too long of a delay, and a family friend here in Germany who wrote one. I guess my son will have to ask him.

Maybe a dumb question but do you know if there is an age restriction on the support letter authors? I'm wondering if we could use his sister, but she isn't 18 yet.

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
DB2101 said:
Thanks - luckily we are picking up the police clearance from a translator who has the notary stamp tomorrow afternoon so I (I am the sponsor's mum) can go along with my letter and get it notarized. We have 2 other ones that are from Canada so that would be too long of a delay, and a family friend here in Germany who wrote one. I guess my son will have to ask him.

Maybe a dumb question but do you know if there is an age restriction on the support letter authors? I'm wondering if we could use his sister, but she isn't 18 yet.
As long as she has the capacity to write such letter, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe attach a authorization from her parents, just to be on the safe side.
We applied as common law and didn't notarize ANY of the 3 letters we've attached - had no problems at all! But again, to be on the safe side and not stress about crap, notarizing the letters is always a good idea.

DB2101

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
File Transfer...
13-5-2016
Med's Done....
24-03-2016 Upfront
Thanks so much - I will do just that. phew. Thank goodness for this forum.