+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"United Kingdom and Colonies" apparently doesn't include England!!!!!!!

stubaxle

Aug 17, 2010
My application for spousal sponsorship reached Vegreville in December 09 and for a few months I've been extremely worried as I couldn't track it online, it just didn't seem like it had reached the CPC although I had the tracking confirmation from the postal service.

I was checking every week and had recently read other peoles timelines on this and other forum sites which really made me worry(as they had alot more information than was available to me), to the point that I tried phoning Vegreville about 50 times, never getting thru and each time it taking 3 1/2 minutes to find out they're too busy!

Then yesterday by complete fluke while scrolling down on the drop down menu for "Place of Birth" on another attempt to access my online tracking, I noticed that Scotland appears on the list. Then I wondered about England.......Oh yes, there it was.....Eureka, months of worry followed by weeks of hair pulling and close to crying worry evaporated! IT WORKED! I know its not been lost, yay!

It would be worth noting that I imagine all British people would automatically look for United Kingdom on such a form, probably followed by Great Britain if there was no UK....

When you find "UK and Colonies" you'd imagine it'd include the UK (The United Kingdom of Great Britain(which is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) and any British colonies (possibly Gibraltar and Falklands etc).
BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this should be changed, hopefully this may help out some other Brits in a similar boat!

Best of luck to all.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

stubaxle said:
My application for spousal sponsorship reached Vegreville in December 09 and for a few months I've been extremely worried as I couldn't track it online, it just didn't seem like it had reached the CPC although I had the tracking confirmation from the postal service.

I was checking every week and had recently read other peoles timelines on this and other forum sites which really made me worry(as they had alot more information than was available to me), to the point that I tried phoning Vegreville about 50 times, never getting thru and each time it taking 3 1/2 minutes to find out they're too busy!

Then yesterday by complete fluke while scrolling down on the drop down menu for "Place of Birth" on another attempt to access my online tracking, I noticed that Scotland appears on the list. Then I wondered about England.......Oh yes, there it was.....Eureka, months of worry followed by weeks of hair pulling and close to crying worry evaporated! IT WORKED! I know its not been lost, yay!

It would be worth noting that I imagine all British people would automatically look for United Kingdom on such a form, probably followed by Great Britain if there was no UK....

When you find "UK and Colonies" you'd imagine it'd include the UK (The United Kingdom of Great Britain(which is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) and any British colonies (possibly Gibraltar and Falklands etc).
BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this should be changed, hopefully this may help out some other Brits in a similar boat!

Best of luck to all.
Why would they change it? Since England, Scotland, Wales and NI are separate countries within the UK, with their own laws (especially Scotland)

stubaxle

Aug 17, 2010
The differing laws in each Country of the United Kindom and its Colonies are completely unrelated to the point I am making here.

What I am saying is that a person from any of the countries of the United Kingdom of Great Britain (be it England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland) would automatically look for United Kingdom as a "Place of Birth" where countries are the options. Moreover, when an option appears as "United Kingdom AND Colonies" you would imagine it would include the United Kingdom.

My point is that this is misleading and may cause other people the same problem I had.

stubaxle

Aug 17, 2010
My suggestion would be a very slight change from "United Kingdom and Colonies" to simply "Colonies of the United Kingdom", if this were the case, then people from the United Kingdom would search the rest of the list and discover the correct options.

JLT

Aug 25, 2010
Hi there,

YES this happened to me too, it was nearly a year before I realised that I had to put in England and not United Kingdom and Colonies.........I agree that is is very confusing as most people in the UK would choose United Kingdom.

Thanks for this I'm so glad its not just me!