+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undeclared Common-Law Relationship in Previous Co-op Work Permit

bers.ok

Mar 6, 2024
Hello everyone,

I hope someone would answer my question:

My girlfriend and I are both on Study Permit, we both studied in Canada and apply Co-op Work Permit during university. We started living together in November 2021. When we applied for our Co-op Work Permit in February 2023, we both didn't declare we were common-law at the time (living together for 15 months already). We were both lacking knowledge about Canadian law on common law and had no idea that we automatically became common-law partners when living together for 12 months and had to change our status. Now, we are planning to apply PGWP this June/July 2024 (separately). I want to correct the mistake now since we didn't declare we are common-law on our previous Co-op Work Permit application. And eventually, we will apply for PR and don't want this mistake back then to be fatal at that time.

I admit it was our fault, but mistakes were made, and I don't know what to do. Is there any way we can fix it?

I would like to listen to your opinions and how we can make up for our mistakes. Your help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!