+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unaffordable for plastic surgery (Answers). how true?

FiftyJeans

Sep 24, 2013
Thank you for your e-mail dated September 25, 2013 to the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care regarding eligibility for plastic surgery for non-residents under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage.

I have included hyperlinks below to help you find the information you are looking for.

Tourists, transients or visitors are not eligible for OHIP coverage. Therefore you would be financially responsible for any medical attention received in Ontario.

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must:

•be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
•be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
•be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
•make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

I encourage you to contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) regarding your request to enter Canada to seek medical care. CIC screens and approves for admission, immigrants, foreign students, visitors and temporary workers into Canada.

All hospitals are autonomous corporations that have the full responsibility for the care and management of patients.

The Ministry funds public hospitals, however they are independent corporations run by their own boards of directors. This is set out under the provisions of the Public Hospitals Act, R.S.O 1990 and other legislation. The boards are directly responsible for the day-to-day management of their hospitals, including the quality of care provided to their patients. You may follow the link for questions and answers about hospitals in Ontario http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/contact/hosp/hospfaq_mn.html

I trust this information helps. Thank you again for writing.

J. Dhamrait

Correspondence Services

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care

Confidentiality: If you have received this email in error, please advise us through the Ministry's website at http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/common/ and destroy all copies of this message. Thank you.

Confidentialité : Si vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, veuillez nous en informer sur le site Web du Ministère, http://www.health.gov.on.ca/fr/common/, et détruire toute copie de ce message. Merci.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm not 100% sure I understand your question.

As a visitor / non-resident in Canada, you do not qualify for OHIP (free health care). You will have to pay for any health care services (including surgery) you recieve in Canada yourself.

FiftyJeans

Sep 24, 2013
Same here, but My aunt who lives in, Ottawa as a Nurse can take care of that. but is it possible that the visa will be issued or denied?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry - I don't understand your question.

It sounds like your aunt is willing to pay for the surgery you require. She should expect this will cost tens of thousands to a few hundred thousand dollars depending on how complicated the surgery is.

No one here can tell you if a visitor visa will be issued or denied. To be approved for a visitor visa, you will have to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country (job, property, assets) and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have an injury or a birth defect that needs to be fixed, you could try to ask some charity organizations if they can help you. How old are you? If you are young, they would be more likely to help.

You can contact hospitals directly and ask if they have done surgeries on foreign patients paid for by charity organizations and which organizations you could ask but make sure you send your full story to them as well.

FiftyJeans

Sep 24, 2013
Nothing like Charity Organization that is happening over where i am. i've been having it for over 9yrs now. am 25. the Hospital i went to, the Dr told me i need to have the Plastic Surgery but is going to cost a lot.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FiftyJeans said:
Nothing like Charity Organization that is happening over where i am. i've been having it for over 9yrs now. am 25. the Hospital i went to, the Dr told me i need to have the Plastic Surgery but is going to cost a lot.
I mean you can contact charities and hospitals in Canada.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
It doesn't make sense to come to Canada to get plastic surgery done, the cost will be immense. If your aunt is willing to pay for it, find an internationally-oriented hospital in India or Thailand and get a quote from them. The quality of care can be very high, and the price far less. There are other options, depending on where you are now.

FiftyJeans

Sep 24, 2013
Leon, Thanks for the info. I will get back to you on here once i receive a good response from any of the organizations.

On-Hold. i don't think she might be interested since she lives in canada.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
You might be right -- what I understood is that someone was looking to pay for some possibly extensive or intensive plastic surgery out of pocket. If that's the case, even if she lives in Canada, she should go somewhere else where it's a fifth of the price.

FiftyJeans

Sep 24, 2013
Yes, she knows what to do "IF" actually she really cares. am still going for dressing in the Hospital to reduce injury not to heal it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the aunt was assuming that it might be provided for free but OHIP will naturally not be willing to pay for surgeries for somebody who isn't covered under OHIP.

However, a sad story of somebody who was injured as a teenager and needs the surgery to go on with their life could be a charity case. Sometimes hospitals or charities bring foreigners in for a necessary surgery, naturally advertising in the media what they are doing in order to get publicity and donations. It is definitely worth a try.

Start looking for charities and hospitals in Ontario where your aunt lives. If you have no luck there, try the rest of Canada, the US and even Europe.

FiftyJeans

Sep 24, 2013
Thanks a lot, Leon. I will try my best to make a research on that. Once i receive a good response i shall let you know or post it on here.

Happy weekend.