+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Qualifications - any use in Canada? Career Coach - any views?

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Hi All

How are UK qualifications and experience received by potential employers in GTA area?

I have a UK MBA (a top - tier school) and several years of experience with a FTSE 100 Financial Services company at a fairly senior level (AVP/VP depending on the reader's take on things - I say that as the designations in the UK are different i.e. not AVP/VP etc). How is this likely to be received in GTA?

My experience prior to UK is from India in the public sector. I doubt if that will carry any weight.

Also, what are the general attitudes of employers in GTA region regarding hiring ex-servicemen (from armed forces of countries other than Canada)?

Thanks in advance

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My experience has been that educational qualifications and work experience from the UK is highly acknowledged. While there may be some differences in job titles, this shouldn't be a key focus. They will look at 'where' you worked and what your achievements and accomplishments were in your last positions -- the focus should be approx. on the last 5-7 years.

Remember that Canadian CV's are structured a little different than UK and European CV's, so it's important to have a marketing tool that is reflective of the marketplace.

www.careego.com is powered and written by one of the leading HR Consulting Firms in Canada and will give you incredible information on how to attack the Canadian marketplace and provides examples of both resumes and cover letters.