+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK police certificate validity question

little_bunny

Jul 9, 2014
Hello

I applied for CEC PR back in August 2014 and have a question about my UK police certificate. The original processing times for CEC was 13 months so I thought CIC would have requested my police certificate by now, however they recently increased the time to 14 months and I still haven't heard anything. I received my police certificate in March 2015. I read somewhere that CIC will only accept certificates that are within 6 months of expiry. I'm not sure exactly what this means since UK police certificates don't have an expiry date. Will I need to get a new one or will they accept the one I have?

Thanks
LB

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
I also send CIC PCC from UL for my spouse.. and it also had 6 months expiry.. i dont think they would request a new one cause they already asked me to pay RPRF almost 5 weeks back.. i will be surprised if they ask for it again specially if u hv not been outside of canada.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
little_bunny said:
I read somewhere that CIC will only accept certificates that are within 6 months of expiry.

Not sure where you read this, but this has never been true.

In any case, CIC changed the rules for PCCs this year. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/infORmation/security/police-cert/intro.asp

"For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."
[e.g. valid indefinitely).

Usually, rule changes are NOT retroactive - in other words, the rules in effect at the time you apply are the ones that govern your application.

But in this case, I think you will be OK with the original PCC (unless you have returned to the UK, in which case you might need a new one).

mossico

Oct 13, 2015
I have a related question to this topic!

I have applied for EE under CEC. I have a UK Police Cert. from March 2014. I am from the UK but the last time I lived there was Oct 2013. So this was issued after the last time I lived in the country.

But I have been back on holiday twice for 2 weeks each time since March 2014.

So seeing as the Police Cert is a little old and I went back on holiday, will I need to apply for a new UK Police Cert?

Thanks!

redgdon

Star Member
Feb 3, 2014
mossico said:
I have a related question to this topic!

I have applied for EE under CEC. I have a UK Police Cert. from March 2014. I am from the UK but the last time I lived there was Oct 2013. So this was issued after the last time I lived in the country.

But I have been back on holiday twice for 2 weeks each time since March 2014.

So seeing as the Police Cert is a little old and I went back on holiday, will I need to apply for a new UK Police Cert?

Thanks!
Doubt it, you weren't living there.