+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Nationality and Canada PR due about the same time - what to do?

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Hi All

I have been in the UK for some time and am due to get the UK nationality early next year. With the medicals submitted for Canada PR about a month back, I am hoping the the Canada PR is also going to be a reality early next year.

Now the big question is - if I have a choice - what sequence of events would I be better off aiming for?

Should I get the UK nationality first or wait for the PR to come through, travel to Canada to get the PR Card and then come back to the UK to get the nationality?

The key issue is the passport I get the Canada PR on. If I take the PR first then I would travel to Canada on my current passport which is not an issue. However, when I am back in the UK and change nationality, I would then need to have the details on my PR card corrected (change of nationality) before travelling back to Canada. Seeing the speed at which London CHC operates, I am concerned this will take a very long time and life would be at a standstill for months on end yet again!

If I take the UK nationality first and try to have my PR application updated, then again it might take another few months and probably lead to more expense on a remedical etc.

What to do? :-\

Thanks

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks 007!

keen to get the perspective of others as well. Hoping that the views of others will help me cover any blind spots etc in my thinking.

Regards

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
captain74 said:
Hi All

I have been in the UK for some time and am due to get the UK nationality early next year. With the medicals submitted for Canada PR about a month back, I am hoping the the Canada PR is also going to be a reality early next year.

Now the big question is - if I have a choice - what sequence of events would I be better off aiming for?

Should I get the UK nationality first or wait for the PR to come through, travel to Canada to get the PR Card and then come back to the UK to get the nationality?

The key issue is the passport I get the Canada PR on It doesn't matter which passport.. If I take the PR first then I would travel to Canada on my current passport which is not an issue. However, when I am back in the UK and change nationality, I would then need to have the details on my PR card corrected (change of nationality) before travelling back to Canada All you need do is call or communicate with CIC in Canada not CHC London. The change would not take much time.. Seeing the speed at which London CHC operates, I am concerned this will take a very long time and life would be at a standstill for months on end yet again!

If I take the UK nationality first and try to have my PR application updated, then again it might take another few months and probably lead to more expense on a remedical etc.

What to do? :-\ Get your PR if it comes first. Then change your nationality by declaring same to CIC in Canada.

Thanks

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
I have heard that life is much higher in standard in UK than in Canada.
I'd take nationalities of both countries. the only problem Canada has that once your PR is approved, you'd have to stay there for any time of 3 years in the 5 yrs time. I guess UK does not have anything similar in its PR regulations.

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
jnathan

I would say the stadard of life is more or less similar in both countries. The UK housing is smaller and a lot more expensive though - actually that can be said about everything in the UK in general.

I would certainly look to keep both Natiaonalities as and when I get them.

The UK, to the best of my knowledge, does not specifically stipulate the length of time you need to spend in the UK in a defined time period (such as two years in five) to keep your PR but you do need to be able to prove (if asked to) that your life is connected very substantially to the UK.

Regards

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
captain74 said:
jnathan

I would say the stadard of life is more or less similar in both countries. The UK housing is smaller and a lot more expensive though - actually that can be said about everything in the UK in general. - very true and in fact higher TAXES too.

The UK, to the best of my knowledge, does not specifically stipulate the length of time you need to spend in the UK in a defined time period (such as two years in five) to keep your PR but you do need to be able to prove (if asked to) that your life is connected very substantially to the UK.
Are you talking of indefinite stay/Leave to remain permanently in the UK or the Nationality? Because, if you have the nationality there is no rule as to how long you have to have lived in the country nor to have stayed outside. You may stay as long as you wish anywhere in the world and still return to the UK. (provided you are not ripped of the status (which can be done in some circumstances) or you give up the Nationality intentionally for one reason or the other

If it is indefinite stay then please follow this link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/returningresidents/

Regards

braj

Dec 20, 2010
Hi,

I might be in similar situation soon. However reading through a number of posts it has lead to confusion. Some say one need to contact the Canadian Embassy in London to let them know of the change in nationality prior to entry to Canada. Some recommend contacting the CIC in Canada. And others recommend travelling with both passport (current and invalid) and explain the situation at the port of entry immigration officer.

Any soul with first hand experience on this please advise. A valid govt. of canada weblink explaining such scenarios will be really useful.

manchai

Star Member
Mar 25, 2010
captain74 said:
jnathan

I would say the stadard of life is more or less similar in both countries. The UK housing is smaller and a lot more expensive though - actually that can be said about everything in the UK in general.

Regards

HI THERE,

COULD YOU PLEASE HELP. I AM IN THE MORE OR LESS SIMILAR POSITION. I GOT MY CANADIAN PR. I AM ABOUT TO GET UK INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN IN 18 MONTHS. CAN I APPLY FOR UK INDEFENATE LEAVE ? AS I ALREADY HAVE CANADIAN PR. I HEARED THAT I GOT TO SURRENDER CANADIAN PR FIRST TO APPLY FOR UK PR ? IS THAT TRUE ? CAN I HAVE PR FOR 2 COUNTRIES ?

I HAVENT MAKE UP MY MIND WHETHER TO STAY IN UK OR GO TO CANADA PERMANENTLY.

REGARDS,
MANAN