+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK national set to marry a Canadian in BC

Babsy

Mar 14, 2014
I am a British citizen (Professional) my partner is Canadian and we plan to marry in the Summer. He will be obtaining a marriage license for that however it is our wish that I remain in BC with him and my children while my PR is processed. Are there any hindrances with our plans in Legal terms - namely would my children and I have to return to the UK to wait for PR etc? What advice can you give us anyone? Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply to extend your visitor status as you wait in which case you do not have to return to the UK even if your processing takes longer than 6 months.

However, while you are on visitor status, you will not have health care in BC and neither will your children so you should think about having accident/emergency insurance in case something happens.

Your children may not be allowed to enroll in school. It depends on the school district if they let them.

In such a scenario where you and your children are being sponsored for PR and your sponsor is not the father of the children, immigration will want to see that you have permission from the children's father to immigrate with them or if you don't have that, then proof that you have full custody of the children and that there are no legal barriers for you to move to Canada with them.

Babsy

Mar 14, 2014
Thank you very much Leon for this information. Fortunately I have been the children's sole guardian )Lone parenting) and their father has been of no fixed address for years.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
namely would my children and I have to return to the UK to wait for PR
If you children need to go to school they would not be able to do that in Canada. They need to get SP first and then you will have to pay tuition as for international students. You (a parent) are on VISITOR visa till you get your PR and in Canada there is no school funding for children of visitors.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is up to the school district if they let them enroll or not. Other options would be sending them to private school or home schooling.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is up to the school district if they let them enroll or not. Other options would be sending them to private school or home schooling.
1. They still need to have SP.
2. Anyways a parent will have to pay tuition fees. For enrolling into school they ask for immigration documents and the province does not supply funding for foreigners on visitor visas or their children.
3. Home schooling is an option too.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I was in the same position.

Firstly, you will have to have official custody of your kids. No legal paper, no PR for them.

They will not allowed to attend school, whilst you are on a visitor visa, unless you pay.

No health care.

So, I had to find a job, get a LMO, get a work visa. Not easy but doable.

Whilst the PR application was in process (Inland) I was able to work and with that work visa, my son could attend school and we could both get medical.

None of this was easy, although I believe I had it easier than most. My PR came through in 7 months.

Good Luck.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A minor child in Canada may be allowed to enroll in school without a study permit but it is up to the school. I know of cases of this happening but also know of cases where it was refused.

If any of the children are of school age, first ask the neighbourhood school and they'll tell you what they'll accept. If they don't want to enroll them, you could however ask them where you can get materials to home school your kids and make sure they don't fall behind. They could be helpful as they know your kids will be attending their school once they get PR and it will make it easier for them if your kids are up to speed on the material already.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A minor child in Canada may be allowed to enroll in school without a study permit but it is up to the school. I know of cases of this happening but also know of cases where it was refused.
The devil is in the details. I suppose you do not know details and therefore confuse cases.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
The devil is in the details. I suppose you do not know details and therefore confuse cases.
And I suppose you know the details of every case there ever was of people trying to enroll their children in school and exactly what happened.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Wait, is the father of your children a Canadian citizen? You said he is a resident of Montreal.