+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

two graduate certificate program of one year each = 3 year pgwp ?

May 7, 2020
In George brown college some programs are 2 semester (8 months), some are 2 semester(1 year) and some as 3 semester(1 year).
although length of semester is same in each type.
so, what will be the length of pgwp in each case?

May 7, 2020
Everyone say that graduate certificate 2 semester which are of 8 months considered as 1 year in canada.
is that true? if yes then why colleges specify different length on different courses. As in seneca college one course is of length 2 semester(8 months) for examply-: supply chain management and some as 2 semester(1 year) for example-: business analytics although semester length are same.

meister

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
In George brown college some programs are 2 semester (8 months), some are 2 semester(1 year) and some as 3 semester(1 year).
although length of semester is same in each type.
so, what will be the length of pgwp in each case?
8 months, 1 year, 1 year

If your offer letter says 1 year, then you get 1 year PGWP. If it says 8 months, then you get 8 months PGWP.

May 7, 2020
even though the length on the study time is same i.e. 8 months in both the cases. pgwp completely depends upon what the program says on the offer letter.

ALMAS1030

Jan 28, 2019
Hey,
what is the definitive answer?
If I completed more than 1 program,
(1-year program + another 1-year program = 2 years study in two different programs)
How long will be the length of PGWP ? 2 years or 3 years ????

vikenfirakezi

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
Reactions: ALMAS1030

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
8 months, 1 year, 1 year

If your offer letter says 1 year, then you get 1 year PGWP. If it says 8 months, then you get 8 months PGWP.
Well leme clarify one thing here. 8 months course has 2 academic semesters. And 2 semesters = 1 year study according to the government

Reactions: LinLlm

Mehul7

Nov 9, 2020
no worries...

Were you able to get your response on your question?
I`m assuming you are in Canada now...
Please I need help in confirming if I do same situation as you,..

I`m looking at colleges who offer post graduate in Ontario.
I`m just really curious that if we should do 1yr(with 3 semesters) or it is also fine to do 1yr(with 2 semesters) on the first year...
Then after that once I am there, I am planning on applying for another year with 2/3sems...

Does it matter if we do 2/3semesters in a year to get the 3 year pgwp?

Pleaseeee please let me know the information you got..
I can`t seem to find a definite answer on it.
Did you get any update on this?

Kafafy

Nov 8, 2016
Hi, I have completed 2 X 8 months course.. now I'm applying a pgwp , where to mention that I have completed two courses, as I can't find it.

rohann13

Feb 23, 2021
Hi, I have completed 2 X 8 months course.. now I'm applying a pgwp , where to mention that I have completed two courses, as I can't find it.
Hey did how much Pgwp did u get? I'm also applying to 2 graduate certificate programs in Canada , 8 months each

ayeshafsk

Apr 8, 2021
hi

thanks for the reply.

what is the gap allowed between two courses? my course ends in April 2019 and other course starts on sept 2019.

is that okay?
Hi Parth,

I am in the same situation as you described above. Did you get a 3 year work permit in this scenario?

ayeshafsk

Apr 8, 2021
I don't know why you keep saying this in so many threads.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

Students who have completed a program of study and will be starting a new program of study within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution
Students may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter)
  • they have submitted an application to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or they still have a valid study permit
  • they have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution
According to the above clause, you have to meet the criteria of [R186(v)], which says you have to be a full-time student or on a scheduled break. In case of an 8 months diploma program, my understanding is that once you finish it you are not a full time student. Therefore, you cannot work till you are a full time student again. Right?

“(v) if they are the holder of a study permit and
  • (i) they are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution as defined in section 211.1,
  • (ii) the program in which they are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec, in each case, of a duration of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, and
  • (iii) although they are permitted to engage in full-time work during a regularly scheduled break between academic sessions, they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session;“

Chynwe

Apr 22, 2021
Please i have a question. For someone that has 1year diploma admission to a private school that does not qualify for PGWP, will you advise the person to run another certification program that guarantees PGWP concurrently with this? What is the person's fate and how to go about it? Will one need to inform CIC of the New program and at what point? Or conclude both programs and file for PGWP with the certificate that guarantees PGWP? Kindly help urgently.

Chynwe

Apr 22, 2021
According to the above clause, you have to meet the criteria of [R186(v)], which says you have to be a full-time student or on a scheduled break. In case of an 8 months diploma program, my understanding is that once you finish it you are not a full time student. Therefore, you cannot work till you are a full time student again. Right?

“(v) if they are the holder of a study permit and
  • (i) they are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution as defined in section 211.1,
  • (ii) the program in which they are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec, in each case, of a duration of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, and
  • (iii) although they are permitted to engage in full-time work during a regularly scheduled break between academic sessions, they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session;“
Please i have a question. For someone that has 1year diploma admission to a private school that does not qualify for PGWP, will you advise the person to run another certification program that guarantees PGWP concurrently with this? What is the person's fate and how to go about it? Will one need to inform CIC of the New program and at what point? Or conclude both programs and file for PGWP with the certificate that guarantees PGWP? Kindly help urgently.

n.Rostami

Dec 3, 2019
Hi everybody, could please advise me about the "Dual Certificate" from VCC and the terms of getting the PGWP as an international student?https://www.vcc.ca/international/programs/program-areas/baking-and-pastry-arts/baking-and-pastry-arts--international/
I'm not familiar enough with the difference with a 2-year dual certificate and a 2-year diploma. Please inform me if you know any international student who attend this course before at mentioned college.
please txt me at nelrostamid@gmail.com