+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two COPRs getting married <Please help>

meghana6891

Sep 5, 2017
Hi,
I have already received my COPR. I intend to get married to someone who in all likelihood is going to receive his COPR in October 2017. We plan on getting married in November. He has gotten into a business school whose classes begin on January 15th 2018. If we tell the CIC about the status change in November, will the request be processed in time for him to attend classes in January?
In order to be safe, if he applies for a student visa, can he use that in case the status change causes a delay? Will the student visa become invalid when the COPR is issued? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

R

rish888

If he too is going to get his COPR in October, why not go to Canada and do a short landing, then you can come back and get married in November without needing to worry about the status change issue?

meghana6891

Sep 5, 2017
Thank you. But we really can't afford a trip before November. Will the student visa be valid after the COPR is issued?

R

rish888

Honestly I'm not sure what would happen to the student visa after the CoPR is issued. I would contact CIC/you local Canadian Embassy to find out what would happen to the Study permit.

Do note that as a PR your husband will be entitled to Canadian fees, whereas if he goes on a study permit he would pay foreign fees. (at least until he becomes a PR and can adjust his fee status.)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thank you. But we really can't afford a trip before November. Will the student visa be valid after the COPR is issued?
I still don't get the point of the whole situation. If he gets a CoPR, why would he even want to use his student visa?

Also, you cannot simply "unite two separate PR application processes". If you get married before landing, both of you would have to return your CoPRs to the visa office and one of you would have to request that the spouse is added to the application. This will take quite a while. The spouse will have to fill forms, they will have to do background checks etc. I wouldn't count of IRCC "recycling" the checks they already did for the independent PR application. This will not be done by January, particularly since one of you doesn't have their CoPR yet.

For me, still, the most reasonable thing to do is is to get married after you activated your PR. Yes, flights to Canada before the wedding will cost you up to 3,000 Dollars for the two of you or something. But, as someone pointed out above, if your spouse is not a PR in January, they will be assessed international tuition fees. And that difference is going to be much more than 3,000 Dollars, you can check on the universities website.

meghana6891

Sep 5, 2017
Thanks. It's not only about the money, we just might not have enough time to land and come back before the wedding. There's just too much going on at work for the both of us. The most important thing is to ensure that he can get to Canada in time for the business school. Is that going to be possible in this scenario? That's the reason for asking about the student visa.

R

rish888

I'm not fully sure if he could use his study permit now that he has been approved for permanent residence and issued a permanent resident visa. I concur with the views given by spyfy. The process is bureaucratic and slow, not to mention that once they do all the checks etc you would need most likely need to go back to your home country to receive a new CoPR and the visa. (This would require your spouse to take a few days of school.)

If time is your issue, you can book a flight that arrives in the morning and leaves in the evening. You'll have enough time for lunch in Toronto or wherever and it will not take more that a day. Any inconvenience of taking just a day off will surely be less than the process to add a spouse. to your PR.

All the usual stuff such as obtaining a SIN, getting your health card etc can be done when you come back the second time around. Both me an spyfy have given the same advice and it is my sincere recommendation you take it.

I understand the situation is not ideal as you would like to dictate the timeline of when you make your move to Canada, but in this particular situation I am of the opinion from a practical and convenience standpoint it is best you land before getting married. (Even if it's only to go around the flagpole.)

meghana6891

Sep 5, 2017
I'm not fully sure if he could use his study permit now that he has been approved for permanent residence and issued a permanent resident visa. I concur with the views given by spyfy. The process is bureaucratic and slow, not to mention that once they do all the checks etc you would need most likely need to go back to your home country to receive a new CoPR and the visa. (This would require your spouse to take a few days of school.)

If time is your issue, you can book a flight that arrives in the morning and leaves in the evening. You'll have enough time for lunch in Toronto or wherever and it will not take more that a day. Any inconvenience of taking just a day off will surely be less than the process to add a spouse. to your PR.

All the usual stuff such as obtaining a SIN, getting your health card etc can be done when you come back the second time around. Both me an spyfy have given the same advice and it is my sincere recommendation you take it.

I understand the situation is not ideal as you would like to dictate the timeline of when you make your move to Canada, but in this particular situation I am of the opinion from a practical and convenience standpoint it is best you land before getting married. (Even if it's only to go around the flagpole.)
Thank you so much for your sincere response, I really appreciate it. If we land before the wedding in November , I am pretty sure that our PR cards wouldn't have arrived before we have to travel for the second time in January. What is the way to re-enter Canada if the PR cards haven't arrived?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks. It's not only about the money, we just might not have enough time to land and come back before the wedding. There's just too much going on at work for the both of us. The most important thing is to ensure that he can get to Canada in time for the business school. Is that going to be possible in this scenario? That's the reason for asking about the student visa.
As you already have your COPR, I suggest you do a soft landing before the wedding while still officially single. After the wedding, your husband can then update the VO that he has married a PR; they may request his documents back to reissue a COPR stating "Married" but as you would not actually need to be added to the app, I doubt they would bother. He would likely be able to land with the COPR stating "Single", along with the marriage certificate, proof of your PR status and the email showing he updated the VO.

If you guys wait until after the marriage to land, as silly as it sounds, you would both need to add the other person to your PR applications. Landing as single when actually married without adding the spouse to your app is misrepresentation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your sincere response, I really appreciate it. If we land before the wedding in November , I am pretty sure that our PR cards wouldn't have arrived before we have to travel for the second time in January. What is the way to re-enter Canada if the PR cards haven't arrived?
You can apply for a PRTD, Permanent Resident Travel Document.

R

rish888

If your husband is going to get is CoPR soon then both of you might as well land together. (Though I would guess not together together as that may invite questions. Avoiding this can be as simple as standing in different lines.) Both of you landing before marriage will ensure you don't need to have any further interaction with the VO.

As far as going back, assuming your PR cards have not come, you can apply for a PRTD, or if you have valid U.S. visas you can take a one way car rental from a city close to the U.S.-Canada border and enter Canada with just your passport and CoPR.

meghana6891

Sep 5, 2017
If your husband is going to get is CoPR soon then both of you might as well land together. (Though I would guess not together together as that may invite questions. Avoiding this can be as simple as standing in different lines.) Both of you landing before marriage will ensure you don't need to have any further interaction with the VO.

As far as going back, assuming your PR cards have not come, you can apply for a PRTD, or if you have valid U.S. visas you can take a one way car rental from a city close to the U.S.-Canada border and enter Canada with just your passport and CoPR.
Thank you for the information

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi,
I have already received my COPR. I intend to get married to someone who in all likelihood is going to receive his COPR in October 2017. We plan on getting married in November. He has gotten into a business school whose classes begin on January 15th 2018. If we tell the CIC about the status change in November, will the request be processed in time for him to attend classes in January?
In order to be safe, if he applies for a student visa, can he use that in case the status change causes a delay? Will the student visa become invalid when the COPR is issued? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
do you live together? share the same address?