+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV with valid work permit

bp

Jun 25, 2010
Hi

I am in Canada under work permit. I just renewed my work permit for a year, but TRV has already been expired. I need to travel to the United States (have US B1/B2 visa). Do I need TRV to re-enter Canada if I have valid work permit and US visa? If yes, how long it will take to get one. I am in Ontario, I could possibly travel to Buffalo in the morning and drop the application and pick up the passport on the same day? I need immediately, as I am traveling to the US next week. Any suggestions/advices would be highly appreciated!

Thanking you all,
BPrasad

scuudz

Sep 29, 2011
Hello,

Yes, you will still need a TRV to re-enter the country from the US even though you have a work permit. The work permit only allows you to legally work in Canada. It does not give you the authority to enter the country.

I'm not sure how long it takes. You might want to call CIC or visit your local CIC office and ask them just to be safe.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scuudz said:
Hello,

Yes, you will still need a TRV to re-enter the country from the US even though you have a work permit. The work permit only allows you to legally work in Canada. It does not give you the authority to enter the country.

I'm not sure how long it takes. You might want to call CIC or visit your local CIC office and ask them just to be safe.
Wrong, the OP doesn't require a new TRV if his/her intention is to only visit the Continental US or ST. Pierre et Miquelon, s/he will be readmitted to Canada as long as the work permit is valid.

sush413

Dec 3, 2011
Hi PMM

My husband is in Canada as a temporary worker (intra-company transferee) and may need to visit the US for a couple of days. His condition is also the same where his TRV has expired and his work permit is valid till next year December. Can he also travel to the US (he has a valid B2 visa) and return to Canada based on the extended work permit. I am sorry for the redundancy but did not understand what "OP" stood for in your last reply (am assuming it may be Open Permit and since my husband doesnt have one hence I am asking the same question).

It would be very helpful if you could provide any CIC links which state the same so that he may print it and take it along in case he is questioned at the border while re-entering Canada.

Thanks a ton!

Sush!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
OP - Original Poster (I think)

sush413 said:
Hi PMM

My husband is in Canada as a temporary worker (intra-company transferee) and may need to visit the US for a couple of days. His condition is also the same where his TRV has expired and his work permit is valid till next year December. Can he also travel to the US (he has a valid B2 visa) and return to Canada based on the extended work permit. I am sorry for the redundancy but did not understand what "OP" stood for in your last reply (am assuming it may be Open Permit and since my husband doesnt have one hence I am asking the same question).

It would be very helpful if you could provide any CIC links which state the same so that he may print it and take it along in case he is questioned at the border while re-entering Canada.

Thanks a ton!

Sush!