+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

trv refusal, is this a negative factor in spousal sponsorship?

mitch24

Jan 14, 2014
Hi, my work permit expired 3 months ago and I decided to apply for a tourist visa before it expired and I just received a refusal letter :( Me and my boyfriend got married literally just a couple weeks ago right after I got my divorce certificate. I had my first marriage in Toronto a couple years back. Now he's about to send a spousal sponsorship application. Will this look bad??

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
What were the reasons for the refusal?
Basically, any refused visa application is a negative in a spousal application. BUT with just one refusal, it should be fine, since you should have lots of other evidence to show your relationship is genuine. Just explain that you wanted to stay in Canada with your partner. Also the fact you got married as soon as you could after the divorce, and before you knew about the TRV refusal, is good.

ekaterina1984

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27.05.2013. Sponsorship approved 17.06.2013
Doc's Request.
Updated forms sent on december 18 2013
Med's Request
November 25 , 2013
Med's Done....
December 18 ,2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
mitch24 said:
Hi, my work permit expired 3 months ago and I decided to apply for a tourist visa before it expired and I just received a refusal letter :( Me and my boyfriend got married literally just a couple weeks ago right after I got my divorce certificate. I had my first marriage in Toronto a couple years back. Now he's about to send a spousal sponsorship application. Will this look bad??

I was refused TRV 2 years ago . The reason of the refusal was I did not meet the requirements of some regulations . I couldn't prove that I would return to my country after my stay in Canada. One more thing me and my now husband called each other '' dear friends'' on my application . We were noT though , we were engaged and I was planning to meet his family in Canada but my application was denied .I don't know why we didn't say truth but what happened is happened . I was afaraid that my application would be denied if I tell them that I was going to meet my fiancee but my appication was denied anyway . So ,We got married in my country as we couldn't be married in Canada and applied for PRV and I got my confirmation of permament residence 2 days ago. They asked me to send them my passport for PRV issuance and I'm about to do so. One more thing I'm 7 weeks pregnant and we are so happy now to start our life together in Canada.
This is our case and my TRV refusal didn't affect my PRV issuance. ;)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The problem is that they may have flagged you for possible misrepresentation due to your relationship description. It depends on how much they found out when you applied for the visa. Do you have the refusal letter available, as it may help in advising you. Specifically, what regulations and reasons does it quote?

By the way, misrepresentation is a massive red flag to CIC.

ekaterina1984

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27.05.2013. Sponsorship approved 17.06.2013
Doc's Request.
Updated forms sent on december 18 2013
Med's Request
November 25 , 2013
Med's Done....
December 18 ,2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
zardoz said:
The problem is that they may have flagged you for possible misrepresentation due to your relationship description. It depends on how much they found out when you applied for the visa. Do you have the refusal letter available, as it may help in advising you. Specifically, what regulations and reasons does it quote?

By the way, misrepresentation is a massive red flag to CIC.

''After a careful review of the information and the documentation contained in your application , I have concuded that you do not meet the requrements of the Act and regulations for the reasons indicated below:

You have not satisfied me that you meet the requrements of Regulation 179 which states in part that you wil leave Canada by the end of the period authorized '' In reaching this decision , I considered several factors such as :
your travel history : famiy ties in Canada , your ties to your country of residence , the lenght of your proposed stay in Canada , the propose of your visit your current employment situation , your persona assets and financial status .

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OK, that's encouraging... No reason to think that will impact a PR application at all. Good luck!

mitch24

Jan 14, 2014
zardoz said:
OK, that's encouraging... No reason to think that will impact a PR application at all. Good luck!
plans have changed. me and my husband decided to live in the philippines for a bit (2 years roughly) before my implied status ends. primarily because his family hates me. they are really out to get me. since i started dating him, his family and relatives in the city have been actively calling the cops on me and making up stuff about me. i always get to prove my innocence but it's totally affecting my inner peace and stuff. they're really gettin in the way of our future plans together too.

i don't really know how this is gonna work out.

is this gonna work out? :-[

canadianwoman said:
What were the reasons for the refusal?
Basically, any refused visa application is a negative in a spousal application. BUT with just one refusal, it should be fine, since you should have lots of other evidence to show your relationship is genuine. Just explain that you wanted to stay in Canada with your partner. Also the fact you got married as soon as you could after the divorce, and before you knew about the TRV refusal, is good.
i was too honest. i said i was in the process of my divorce. it doesn't help that my whole family is in canada and i left canada with no affiliation and no assets in the philippines. so they don't think i'll leave canada :(

ekaterina1984 said:
I was refused in TRV 2 years ago . The reason of refusal was I did not meet the requirements of some regulations . I couldn't prove that I would return to my country after my stay in Canada. One more thing me and my now husband called each other '' dear friends'' on my application . We were noT though , we were engaged and I was planning to meet his family in Canada but my application was denied .I don't know why we didn't say truth but what happened is happened . I was afaraid that my application wil be denied if I tell them that I was going to meet my fiancee but appication was denied anyway . So ,We got married in my country as we couldn't be married in Canada and applied for PRV and I got my confirmation of permament residence 2 days ago. They asked me to send them my passport for PRV issuance and I'm about to do so. One more thing I'm 7 weeks pregnant and we are so happy now to start our life together in Canada.
This is our case and my TRV refusal didn't affect on my PRV issuance. ;)
congratulations that's a great news! wow and thanks!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
mitch24 said:
i was too honest. i said i was in the process of my divorce. it doesn't help that my whole family is in canada and i left canada with no affiliation and no assets in the philippines. so they don't think i'll leave canada :(
Any refusal means the visa officer will notice it and wonder, so provide an explanation of it: that you just wanted to visit your partner. With a lot of other evidence that your relationship is genuine, one refused TRV should be OK.

M

mikeymyke

I personally think ur TRV refusal is a minor red flag, but the red flags you should be concerned about are your husbands parents not attending the wedding (im assuming its becuse you say they hate you), your husband who is not married before, is marrying a divorced woman, you and ur husband have a bit of an age difference, and you have all your family in Canada but none in Philippines (this is called having a strong "pull factor" meaning you seem to have a strong desire to immigrate to canada due to little to no family at home but lots in canada). Your pull factor seems to be at its maximum unfortunately because you say your whole family is in Canada