+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV into Canada and what do officials ask at the border?

Kismet18

Apr 24, 2017
Hi there, my spouse is waiting on his passport to be returned so he can travel to Canada on a TRV, just wondering what questions are generally asked by immigration officials once he lands in Canada? Will he need to show his return ticket? (We have one but it's in my email) I am a little apprehensive for him, as it is his first time travelling outside of his home country. Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Best to have the return ticket with him. In most cases the airlines won't even let him board without one. They will ask purpose of visit, how long he is staying, where he is staying, who or what he is visiting, proof of funds, what does he do for a living, etc. The list can be quite long, or just a couple of questions. It all depends on the CBSA officer at the time. Tell him to rela , be honest and don't volunteer additional information unless he's asked for it.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Plus as a spouse visiting a resident spouse in Canada avoid any implication that the visit is for an extended period let the CBSA officer decide how long the visit can be. CBSA can be suspicious sometimes that a spouse visiting from outside the country intends to stay for an extended period whether they have a return ticket or not.

As per previous post only answer questions asked do not volunteer information that can lead to further questions, CBSA have a job to do, they are not there to be a friend. Ultimately though best advice is not to over think things as generally most people have no issues at all coming into the country, the hardest part is getting the TRV in the first place.

Last edited:

PB*

Nov 7, 2017
Hi there, my spouse is waiting on his passport to be returned so he can travel to Canada on a TRV, just wondering what questions are generally asked by immigration officials once he lands in Canada? Will he need to show his return ticket? (We have one but it's in my email) I am a little apprehensive for him, as it is his first time travelling outside of his home country. Thanks
Hi,
May I know how long did it take to get a visa approved for your husband after submission? And was it an online or a paper application? Also, are you on study permit or a work permit in Canada? From which country did he apply for a TRV?

I am on a study permit in Canada since 2013. We have applied for a online TRV from India on 19th Sept. But still did not get any update. We have his flight ticket been booked for Nov 30. We are too worried about still hoe long the CIC will take to inform there decision.

Reply will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you!