+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

Person001

Star Member
Jan 2, 2023
Has anyone entered Canada yet with a spousal TRV? What advice would you have for CBSA? We applied for 6 months and got the TRV. Is it fine to say coming to visit husband for 6 months. If the PR is not approved by then, and there's no way to extend stay, and cannot get Open Work Permit, then will return; Or is that too honest and it's better to just say visiting for a month, have a return ticket within a month and only have travel insurance for a month and hope they don't issue a visitor record for shorter stay?

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is it fine to say coming to visit husband for 6 months. If the PR is not approved by then, and there's no way to extend stay, and cannot get Open Work Permit, then will return
Personal opinion, I think that should be fine. I'd try to slip in the phrase or something near to it, will honour the terms of entry and only stay as long as allowed to - with the latter part of that being the most important bit.

Reactions: Person001

Person001

Star Member
Jan 2, 2023
Personal opinion, I think that should be fine. I'd try to slip in the phrase or something near to it, will honour the terms of entry and only stay as long as allowed to - with the latter part of that being the most important bit.
Alright, thank you! Sound advice!

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Has anyone entered Canada yet with a spousal TRV? What advice would you have for CBSA? We applied for 6 months and got the TRV. Is it fine to say coming to visit husband for 6 months. If the PR is not approved by then, and there's no way to extend stay, and cannot get Open Work Permit, then will return; Or is that too honest and it's better to just say visiting for a month, have a return ticket within a month and only have travel insurance for a month and hope they don't issue a visitor record for shorter stay?

Thanks!
I have the same question and hope @comarxx will share his experience soon :)
I guess I would say that we have a PR pending (they know it anyway) but we have a plan to stay about 5 and a half month or as will be officially permitted. They may ask about planned activities, so for us it will be (and it's actually true intention) a language school. It's allowed for up to six month without study permit. It will be beneficial in any outcome of the PR application :)

Person001

Star Member
Jan 2, 2023
I have the same question and hope @comarxx will share his experience soon :)
I guess I would say that we have a PR pending (they know it anyway) but we have a plan to stay about 5 and a half month or as will be officially permitted. They may ask about planned activities, so for us it will be (and it's actually true intention) a language school. It's allowed for up to six month without study permit. It will be beneficial in any outcome of the PR application :)
Oh yeah great point, in our case she will be taking French lessons!

Reactions: ERCAN

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
They may ask about planned activities, so for us it will be (and it's actually true intention) a language school. It's allowed for up to six month without study permit. It will be beneficial in any outcome of the PR application :)
This brings up point I should perhaps have mentioned: apart from the things discussed, also have to consider 'looking the part.' By which I mean, not showing up as if all worldly belongings with you, things you're going to do that are consistent with a visit, etc. Coming to see the country to get ready - makes sense. Language practice, etc, too.

We're all kind of guessing at this point though.

NamNg

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
Any one's spouse has recently arrived in Canada with TRV? Did cbsa office ask any question regarding travel purpose and return date?

Bafflingtulip

Jul 3, 2017
Hey guys, so we have received our AOR, my husband has done his biometrics. My sponsorship approval letter is approved (I called IRCC), they will send it next week.

I want to apply for spousal trv for my husband but the issue is he does have previous visit visa rejections. The reason for this mostly was that despite having a great job in the Middle East, he did not live in his country of origin so the lack of ties to home country were always an issue sadly. He always submitted pay stubs, had ample money to show and employment letters.

I know it would likely affect trv chances but I am thinking to highlight:
- He stayed in the Middle East and was a 'resident' there for several years always abiding by his visa restrictions
- He had two student visas for UK and always left before they expired
- He has property in his home country, he will get it valued in XX CAD
- He will present a work experience letter, he works with his dad who has his own business
- He can explain the reasons given for his rejections (Visit) which were mainly not convinced you will return due to lack of home ties (having applied not being in his home country)

Any help would be appreciated!

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys, so we have received our AOR, my husband has done his biometrics. My sponsorship approval letter is approved (I called IRCC), they will send it next week.

I want to apply for spousal trv for my husband but the issue is he does have previous visit visa rejections. The reason for this mostly was that despite having a great job in the Middle East, he did not live in his country of origin so the lack of ties to home country were always an issue sadly. He always submitted pay stubs, had ample money to show and employment letters.

I know it would likely affect trv chances but I am thinking to highlight:
- He stayed in the Middle East and was a 'resident' there for several years always abiding by his visa restrictions
- He had two student visas for UK and always left before they expired
- He has property in his home country, he will get it valued in XX CAD
- He will present a work experience letter, he works with his dad who has his own business
- He can explain the reasons given for his rejections (Visit) which were mainly not convinced you will return due to lack of home ties (having applied not being in his home country)

Any help would be appreciated!
You just have to fill out the new portal applying for trv and upload documents in there as necessary and then just add the bank statements and a letter of invitation(if you want you can copy the format in cic website like I did).

Basically, you are just applying, like genuinely applying for trv and just submit what is needed and I think it is up to the agent who will handle your file if it will get approved or refused.

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Update: I just look up at my prtracker and everything is completed now and file closed on the date my wife picks up their passports.

On gckey showing the date trv is approved nothing else change aside from bg check which was completed on May 30th. Funny thing is we submitted app in the 29th but got the email on June 19th that we got approved.

Reactions: RavJas

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks!
A spousal TRV doesn’t exist it is just a normal TRV. We don’t actually know what happens because this is a new program

NamNg

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
question for those whose spouse is coming to Canada soon... are you applying OWP for your spouse as soon as they land? Do you plan to keep their status as visitor or worker until the sponsor application is approved? I plan to apply OWP for my wife as soon as she is hear so that she can apply for SIN, driver license to start finding job soon

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
question for those whose spouse is coming to Canada soon... are you applying OWP for your spouse as soon as they land? Do you plan to keep their status as visitor or worker until the sponsor application is approved? I plan to apply OWP for my wife as soon as she is hear so that she can apply for SIN, driver license to start finding job soon
I guess majority of applicants will apply for OWP soon after they land and wont wait for Spousal PR to finalize. Firstly, by applying for OWP, they are automatically extending their stay in Canada, beyond TRV expiry, till they get their PR. Secondly, as you said, it will help them later in their lives if they apply for SIN, get driver's license soon after their entry in Canada.

Reactions: NamNg