+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for Parents only approved for 2 years. Is this normal ?

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
- I am an international student and my convocation was in June, i am currently on Work Permit valid for next 3 years
- I applied TRV for my parents to visit me and attend my convocation
- My parents live in India; my father is a government employee and works in state Police department and my mother is a housewife

- There TRV is approved just couple of weeks back and i got the passport today
- But both for my father and mother, the TRV is granted only for 2 years even though both of them have passports valid throughout 2028

- I don’t know why but my mother’s passports have "Emigration Check Required" mentioned on the last page

Is TRV being granted for 2 years is normal? I thought it’s generally for 10 years ?

Also my parents got TRV past my convocation date so currently they don't have an immediate plan to visit me, will this be fine or should i ask them to visit me this year itself? If for any reason they dont visit me before the TRV expires, will this creates any issue for future TRV or other visa applications for Canada for my parents ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
While TRVs are generally granted till the expiration of the passport, this isn't a rule and you can get a shorter TRV as well. So yes, this is normal.

They don't have to visit you. There will be no issues for future applications if they don't use this TRV.

Reactions: Ayam93

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks !! I was just curious if TRV being granted for 2 years could mean that officer had some concerns which might impact future TRV applications but seems no need to worry !!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks !! I was just curious if TRV being granted for 2 years could mean that officer had some concerns which might impact future TRV applications but seems no need to worry !!
Probably the other way around - they gave them a shorter TRV this time because they had a few concerns, but when you next apply they will give a longer TRV since your parents didn't cause any issues, overstayed, etc.

Can't say for sure, of course.

nmatter

May 12, 2019
Probably the other way around - they gave them a shorter TRV this time because they had a few concerns, but when you next apply they will give a longer TRV since your parents didn't cause any issues, overstayed, etc.

Can't say for sure, of course.
Yes look like this is the case
I got my TRV approved in 2nd time but they Stamp till 2023 (for years) but my passport is valid till 2026, so look like they want to observe.