+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

True, False, Not Given

newapplicant

Feb 1, 2009
How did you prepare to answer TRUE/FALSE/NOT GIVEN ?? I found following tips on a web site :

1) Pay ATTENTION to the direction: Ture/False/Not Given,Yes/No/Not Given or else

2) First deal with true or false statement. Leave the NGs after you complete other questions.

3) The following should be considered to be Not Given:

a. The statement is more specific than the original sentence.

b. The statement mentions the result of a plan (a dream/goal), which has not yet been realized.

Note: A FALSE statement confuses "plan" with "fact".

eg. The local government plans to implement a new tax regulation to attract more finance resources.

The new tax regulation attracted more investments. ----False

More finance resources will be available. ----Not Given

c. Completely not mentioned

Please, share you opinion or the best way to deal with TRUE/FALSE/NOT GIVEN questions. Thanks.

Reactions: lok254

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
the tips you have mentioned sound quite reasonable.

otherwise, i guess, it's more about common sense rather than preparation.

newapplicant

Feb 1, 2009
Please read the passage below and answer Questions 1-10.

Daybreak Trips by Coach

SPRING IS IN THE AIR!
Welcome to our Spring Daybreak programme which continues the tradition of offering daytrips and tours at unbeatable value for money. All the excursions in this brochure will be operated by Premier Travel Services Limited or Millers Coaches; both companies are part of the CHL Group, which owns Cambridge's Cambus fleet.

WE'RE PROUD OF OUR TRADITION

Premier was established in 1936; the Company now offers the highest standards of coach travel in today's competitive operating environment. Millers has an enviable reputation stretching back over the past 20 years, offering value for money coach services at realistic prices. We've travelled a long way since our early days of pre-war seaside trips. Now our fleet of 50 modern coaches (few are more than five years old) operate throughout Britain and Europe but we're pleased to maintain the high standards of quality and service that were the trademark of our founders nearly sixty years ago.

EXCLUSIVE FEATURES

All Daybreak fares (unless specifically stated otherwise) include admission charges to the attractions, shows and exhibits we visit. Many full day scenic tours are accompanied by a fully trained English Tourist Board 'Blue Badge' guide or local experienced driver/guide. Some Daybreaks include lunch or afternoon tea. Compare our admission inclusive fares and see how much you save. The cheapest is not necessarily the best and value for money is guaranteed with Daybreaks. If you compare our bargain Daybreak fares beware - most of our competitors do not offer an all inclusive fare.

SEAT RESERVATIONS

We value the freedom of choice, so you can choose your seat when you book. The seat reservation is guaranteed and remains yours at all times when aboard the coach.

NO SMOKING COMFORT

With the comfort of our passengers in mind, coaches on all our Daybreaks are no smoking throughout. In the interests of fellow passengers' comfort, we kindly ask that smokers observe our 'no smoking' policy. On scenic tours and longer journeys, ample refreshment stops are provided when, of course, smoking is permitted.

YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Do I need to book?

Booking in advance is strongly recommended as all Daybreak tours are subject to demand. Subject to availability, stand-by tickets can be purchased from the driver. What time does the coach leave?

The coach departs from Cambridge Drummer Street (Bay 12) at the time shown. There are many additional joining points indicated by departure codes in the brochure. If you are joining at one of our less popular joining points, you will be advised of your pick up time (normally by telephone) not less than 48 hours before departure. In this way, we can minimise the length of pick-up routes and reduce journey times for the majority of passengers.

What time do we get back?

An approximate return time is shown for each excursion. The times shown serve as a guide, but road conditions can sometimes cause delay. If your arrival will be later than advertised, your driver will try to allow for a telephone call during the return journey. Where can I board the coach?

All the Daybreaks in the brochure leave from Cambridge Drummer Street (Bay 12) at the time shown. Many Daybreaks offer additional pick-ups for pre-booked passengers within Cambridge and the surrounding area. This facility must be requested at the time of booking.

Questions 1-10

Do the following statements agree with the information given in the passage above?

In boxes 1-10 on your answer sheet write

TRUE if the statement agrees with the information
FALSE if the statement contradicts the information
NOT GIVEN if there is no information on this

1. Millers Coaches owns Cambridge's Cambus fleet.
2. Premier is an older company than Millers.
3. Most of the Daybreak coaches are less than 5 years old.
4. Daybreak fares are more expensive than most of their competitors.
5. Soft drinks and refreshments are served on most longer journeys.
6. Smoking is permitted at the rear of the coach on longer journeys.
7. Tickets must be bought in advance from an authorised Daybreak agent.
8. Tickets and seats can be reserved by phoning the Daybreak Hotline.
9. Daybreak passengers must join their coach at Cambridge Drummer Street.
10. Daybreak cannot guarantee return times.

Thanks.

newapplicant

Feb 1, 2009
Sample T/F/NG questions that I posted before were found on IELTS official web site.

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_sample.aspx

I think, for some people IELTS reading is always hard, and this is the reason I have
started this subject so that people who already finished their IELTS and got a high
band score in their reading can share us their opinions regarding IELTS reading. I know,
It's mostly depends on individuals knowledge of English but I believe, people who got
high score in IELTS reading had their own way to prepare for IELTS. So, it would be
great, if you share your thoughts. I have seen people are saying they got 8 in IELTS,
but they have never opened their hidden rules and tips for others, even asked them
several times in this forum. So, I have decided to put my 2 coins by starting this
subject, thanks.

syedrahman1980

Mar 28, 2009
newapplicant said:
Sample T/F/NG questions that I posted before were found on IELTS official web site.

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_sample.aspx

I think, for some people IELTS reading is always hard, and this is the reason I have
started this subject so that people who already finished their IELTS and got a high
band score in their reading can share us their opinions regarding IELTS reading. I know,
It's mostly depends on individuals knowledge of English but I believe, people who got
high score in IELTS reading had their own way to prepare for IELTS. So, it would be
great, if you share your thoughts. I have seen people are saying they got 8 in IELTS,
but they have never opened their hidden rules and tips for others, even asked them
several times in this forum. So, I have decided to put my 2 coins by started this
subject, thanks.

I appreciate. If other member can share their ideas to do good in IELTS exam.

Thanks.

SYED

newapplicant

Feb 1, 2009
List of useful books for IELTS preparation :

1. 101 hints
2. 202 useful exercises
3. Ielts Cambridge 1
4. Ielts Cambridge 2
5. Ielts Handbook
6. Ielts practice now
7. Ielts strategies for Studying
8. Ielts to success
9. Insight into Ielts
10. Listening skills ELTS skills series
11. Passport to Ielts
12. Practice tests for Ielts
13. Preparation and practice (Reading and Writing)
14. Preparation and Practice for Ielts (Listening and Speaking)
15. Prepare for Ielts
16. Toefl – Essay collection – Author: Barren. (recommended)
17. 556 essays - a collection of the new essays and writings for all purposes, topics and levels. By: fernando – Rajamanikam. (relevant for practising interview section).

newapplicant

Feb 1, 2009
Type of Questions Regular pattern Accurate %
Headings First, second and last sentences 90%
Headings First sentence 50%
Summary Match Arctic’s follower paragraphs 90%
T/F/NG Question has must, only, all, always, the answer wouldn’t be True 95%
T/F/NG Question has must, only, all, always, the answer is F 60%
T/F/NG Question has fact, prove, the answer is F 95%
T/F/NG If have over 5 Questions, three answer (T/F/NG) will all appear 95%
T/F/NG The answer won’t be the same over the forth times(e.g. F,F,F,F䃉~4 have the same answer) 95%
Short Answer If answers have the numbers, usually you have to calculate (+,-,*, /) 95%
Multiple Choice
(one answer) Answers have the strong meaning(must ,always ,all ,will), usually it’s wrong 90%
Multiple Choice (one answer) Answers have can, may, sometimes, some, not always, usually it’s right answer 90%
Matching ( author and its opinion, relationship) The first Question is match to the last paragraph and the last Question is match to the first paragraph 80%

Gulshan Grover

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
Hello, have you noticed in some cases answers are very closed to each other?For instance, the first line of paragraph does mean one answer but when we read in the middle or last line it provides us another answers.In this situation examinees are really confused.

Do you have any idea how many correct answers are equivalent to 6.5 in reading?

Many thanks.

newapplicant

Feb 1, 2009
Hi Gulshan, thanks for your opinion.

Please, go to the following link to calculate your band score :

http://www.canadavisa.com/ielts/free-practice-tests.html

I hope, more people will give their opinions for future IELTS candidates.

cut

Jan 19, 2009
botswana
Category........
Visa Office......
PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2009
Doc's Request.
26-10-2009
AOR Received.
26-10-2009
File Transfer...
19-02-2010
Med's Request
14-02-2012
Med's Done....
16-04-2012
I desperately looking for websites for IELTS preparation, I already go through to the above mentioned sites. could you please tell me more.

syedrahman1980

Mar 28, 2009
Dear all
I found this thread very helpful for those who will appear IELTS exam soon.
Thanks all who have participated to make the thread very helpful. More ideas, experience amy come up.

I especially thank newapplicant, who initiated the thread and the topic.

I did not appear IELTS exam; this will help me a lot.

Good luck.

SYED

newapplicant

Feb 1, 2009
Thanks for your participation and encouraging me to enhance this thread further for
people who have decided to sit for IELTS soon or later. Realy, it's not easy to found
useful sites or books on internet for IELTS preparaton. If English is not your mother
language, you should always be prepared before you put your head into the hidden
traps of IELTS, specially in reading section. Yes, it's always hard to crack, if you are
not well informed about how to answer each type of question in IELTS reading. So,
I am requesting all to participate here with me. I believe, if you are the person who
already crossed that path, you have something in your mind to say for others about
IELTS. Please, come forward. Thanks.

newapplicant

Feb 1, 2009
I have been searching for IELTS resouces on the net. Somehow, I am under the impression
that it is the tough nut to crack when it comes to the free IELTS materials on the net. I
am genuinely surprised that people who already finished their IELTS with a good band score
in their reading even don't like to come forward to help others. Anyway, I will do it myself.
However, I don't think it would be a great source for IELTS since other people have already
decided to not come forward. But, I would like to cross my fingers for future. I believe,
learning is a process of experimenting others; the way others had already went through.

I found following IELTS sites are useful for others. Please have a look and write your opinion.

http://www.topblogarea.com/rss/IELTS.htm
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/exam
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Patterns+in+multiple-choice+tests

Also, I found the following on another web site :

When being asked your opinion on any subject matter, you can use a simple
formula. For example, if you were asked: "What are your favorite tourist
destinations in Manila?" You can answer this by using a formula: General
statement + List + Explanation of each subject on list + summary.To apply
this formula,this is how I would answer the question:(1) Manila is a beautiful
city with many tourist attractions. (2)Among these attractions, my favorites
are Luneta Park, Intramuros, and Manila Bay. (3)I like Luneta Park because I
can just sit down on the grass and relax and enjoy a picnic. (4) I like Intramuros
because I can look at many historical artifacts displayed there and get to see
different products from the provinces that are being sold at a fair inside
Intramuros. (5) Lastly, Manila Bay is...

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
suggest you to check the IELTS forum for IELTS related queries.

I had found a site on that forum from where i downloaded 5 cambridge books, which I did not read before the test. :) In India, The British Library gives Book 6 free with in-person registration. So, I just went through 2 of the 4 tests in that.

Expecting the result on 12th.

I'll tried to look, if I find thr URL, I'll share it with you.