+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travelling without PR CARD. will it be an issue?

Mayonnaise

Star Member
Apr 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will receive my passport with PR visa on October but I am planning to go back home end of November. I will not have the PR card by that time since it takes 2 months to get the PR card ( i will only have my passport with the canadian PR visa.)

My question is, can i travel outside then go back to Canada without the PR card? will the PR visa and passport be enough for me to travel outside of and go back to canada?

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
It depends where you are from and do you need visa to come back, what airline you will take to your home country etc. Leon & PMM & Syc can guide you better if you provide details.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Mayonnaise said:
I will receive my passport with PR visa on October but I am planning to go back home end of November. I will not have the PR card by that time since it takes 2 months to get the PR card ( i will only have my passport with the canadian PR visa.)

My question is, can i travel outside then go back to Canada without the PR card? will the PR visa and passport be enough for me to travel outside of and go back to canada?
Assuming you are a citizen of the Philippines, then you will have to get someone to either mail your PR card when it arrives to you or apply for a Travel Document in Manila to return to Canada. Your Immigrant visa is only a single entry visa.

baronorkid

Jul 3, 2012
Mayonnaise said:

There is no restriction on leaving, if you are planning to come back after your PR card arrives... Just ask someone to FedEx to you.
If you want to come back before, you'll have to apply for a travel document !

jun479

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Visa Office......
New delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 18, 2012
AOR Received.
Aug 21,2012
File Transfer...
Aug 21,2012
Interview........
Hopefully waived
Passport Req..
Sep 1, 2012; we requested for 2nd ppr - still waiting. Went in process on ecas on sep 26, 2012
Could you brief us about travelling documents

Thanks
Jun

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A PR travel document is a document that a PR outside Canada without a PR card or with an expired card can apply for in order to travel back to Canada. You can find the application forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Mayonnaise

Star Member
Apr 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
A PR travel document is a document that a PR outside Canada without a PR card or with an expired card can apply for in order to travel back to Canada. You can find the application forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp
how many days would i have to wait to get the travel document? or is this somethings that i can receive from the canadian consulate right away?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mayonnaise said:
how many days would i have to wait to get the travel document? or is this somethings that i can receive from the canadian consulate right away?
When you arrive in your homeland after having landing in Canada, you could apply for a travel document right away if you wanted to but I have heard that they are only valid for 6 months. You should talk to your embassy about how long it takes for them to issue one and apply for it at least early enough that you will have it before you want to go back to Canada but not so early that it will have expired.

IsCan

Aug 27, 2012
On thing I am curious about is this. When one arrives at the borders and the officer starts questioning, is it ok to tell them that ones intentions is only stay in Canada for a short while (days/weeks) and then leave the country (before PR card is received)? When you think of it, it might be a very responsible thing to do, to go to Canada, claim your residency, look for jobs and possibilities but at the same time travel out again and back, even several times for those who can afford it or live closer by.
What do you think, is it very bad looking to arrive as an immigrant and leave few days later?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IsCan said:
On thing I am curious about is this. When one arrives at the borders and the officer starts questioning, is it ok to tell them that ones intentions is only stay in Canada for a short while (days/weeks) and then leave the country (before PR card is received)? When you think of it, it might be a very responsible thing to do, to go to Canada, claim your residency, look for jobs and possibilities but at the same time travel out again and back, even several times for those who can afford it or live closer by.
What do you think, is it very bad looking to arrive as an immigrant and leave few days later?
There are no rules against leaving again as soon as you have landed. As a PR, you are allowed to be outside Canada for up to 1095 days (3 years) in any 5 year period. Many people come and land quickly before their PR visas expire and then must return to old country to complete a contract job, sell their house, tie up loose ends etc.

The only problem you face is that if you are not visa exempt and you are unable to wait long enough to get your PR card or give an address of friends/relatives that can receive it and mail it to you, you will have to apply for a PR travel document in order to return.