+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with PGWP + TRV but no job

vqrj44

Jun 27, 2023
Hi all,

I'm still currently looking for work but plan to travel outside Canada into the USA to visit family soon.

Will I be able to return with a valid PGWP and TRV, but no job or job offer as of this moment?

I've been doing some research online regarding this specific scenario and heard a mix of things. I'm assuming proof of employment was only necessary when Canada had the essential travel restrictions with COVID as most of the cases where people were unable to return was during that time.

Please if anyone has experience let me know. I want to be able to enjoy spending time with family and not feel anxious about potentially getting denied entry returning to Canada.

Thanks!

DevSB

Mar 27, 2021
Pretty sure there will be no problems so long as your TRV and PGWP are valid.
PGWP is an open work permit and there is no requirement for you to have a job or job offer when you enter/re-enter Canada

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Hi all,

I'm still currently looking for work but plan to travel outside Canada into the USA to visit family soon.

Will I be able to return with a valid PGWP and TRV, but no job or job offer as of this moment?

I've been doing some research online regarding this specific scenario and heard a mix of things. I'm assuming proof of employment was only necessary when Canada had the essential travel restrictions with COVID as most of the cases where people were unable to return was during that time.

Please if anyone has experience let me know. I want to be able to enjoy spending time with family and not feel anxious about potentially getting denied entry returning to Canada.

Thanks!
I just now returned from a US trip. I travelled to US with a B2 Tourist visa with my spouse. I have a PGWP valid till 2026 and a valid TRV sticker, valid till December 2023 on my passport. When travelling from Canada to the US there is a US border official actually sitting here in Canada who checks your US visa and then you get on a flight to the US. Once you land in US, there is no immigration at all, its like a domestic flight. When you return from US, the checking happens in Canada. They check your passport's sticker visa, and then they ask for your Work Permit to check the dates on it. I too dont have a job at the moment, freelancing more like. There is no problem at all.

Reactions: Vicksy

Akshay1212

Jul 4, 2023
Hi,
My student permit and passport stamp is valid till september,30 2023 but I have completed my post-graduation in April 2023. I have a valid PGWP. can i travel back to canada? will there be an issue at the airport?

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Hi,
My student permit and passport stamp is valid till september,30 2023 but I have completed my post-graduation in April 2023. I have a valid PGWP. can i travel back to canada? will there be an issue at the airport?
Yes you can travel back. Have your PGWP Document ready to show to the Immigration officer. It is valid if you travel back before Sep 30th provided your PWGP is valid until 2024 or beyond.