+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travelling outside of Canada without PR card

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Hi..
I got RPRF request last week which i paid and now awaiting for PPR.. considering i am planning to travel back home around end of Dec 2015 till end of Jan 2016.. I highly doubt I will get my PR card before i leave.. what is the process to apply for return travel visa to Canada if i want to travel abroad? Can I apply for Canadian travel visa after getting PR? If yes, do i have to apply for it from Canada before my travel or i would have to apply from my home country? Anyone aware of the process?
I cannot do landing in jan2016 because my current BOWP is expiring end of Oct 2015.. i doubt i will get a BOWP extension if my PR is already approved..
Thanks in advance! :)

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
1. If you did not landed as PR before you travel, then you will need visa to get back to Canada. You can apply for visa inland or abroad (check application timelines).
2. If you landed as PR before your travel but did not get your PR card yet than you will need travel document to get back to Canada. You can apply for this document only in the country of destination, not in Canada.
3. You can apply for bowp any time before became PR, even after getting COPR. As long as you're not PR the regular rulles for staying and working in Canada apply to you.

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
pfse said:
1. If you did not landed as PR before you travel, then you will need visa to get back to Canada. You can apply for visa inland or abroad (check application timelines).
2. If you landed as PR before your travel but did not get your PR card yet than you will need travel document to get back to Canada. You can apply for this document only in the country of destination, not in Canada.
3. You can apply for bowp any time before became PR, even after getting COPR. As long as you're not PR the regular rulles for staying and working in Canada apply to you.
thanks pfse..
i have gotten RPRF and paid, and awaiting PPR now... i expect it anytime now.. i applied for BOWP extension start of Aug and expect to get it end of November... if i do not do landing will my BOWP extension get approved even if i get COPR is issued and PR visa stamped on my passport..

My medical is valid till mid of March 2016 so i do expect my COPR visa to be valid till then.. so how about lets assume i get COPR in October and do not do the landing.. will i get bowp extension in November even if COPR is issued to me already? I do not mind wasting $255 as long as i get BOWP extension and do not have to go through uncertainty of applying for travel visa from my home country.

I am going to my home country for 5 weeks from 16 Dec till 25 Jan so I can apply for PR travel document from my country, am just not sure how long they will take to process it.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
mesumrizvi said:
thanks pfse..
i have gotten RPRF and paid, and awaiting PPR now... i expect it anytime now.. i applied for BOWP extension start of Aug and expect to get it end of November... if i do not do landing will my BOWP extension get approved even if i get COPR is issued and PR visa stamped on my passport..

My medical is valid till mid of March 2016 so i do expect my COPR visa to be valid till then.. so how about lets assume i get COPR in October and do not do the landing.. will i get bowp extension in November even if COPR is issued to me already? I do not mind wasting $255 as long as i get BOWP extension and do not have to go through uncertainty of applying for travel visa from my home country.

I am going to my home country for 5 weeks from 16 Dec till 25 Jan so I can apply for PR travel document from my country, am just not sure how long they will take to process it.
My bowp got approved after COPR being sent to me.