+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling as Immediate Family Member

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
Hi Guys, I recently moved to Canada as PR.... I yet to receive my PR card... all I have is my COPR letter.
Can my spouse and child travel on their COPR's (issued post March 18th) as Immediate Family Member?

What documents will they need to prove their immediate family member status?? They have valid COPR's so they will not eTA.... right??

I travelled on an Authorization Letter as Extended Family member... But I don't think IRCC is issuing AL's to immediate family... Please help @legalfalcon .

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi Guys, I recently moved to Canada as PR.... I yet to receive my PR card... all I have is my COPR letter.
Can my spouse and child travel on their COPR's (issued post March 18th) as Immediate Family Member?

What documents will they need to prove their immediate family member status?? They have valid COPR's so they will not eTA.... right??

I travelled on an Authorization Letter as Extended Family member... But I don't think IRCC is issuing AL's to immediate family... Please help @legalfalcon .
If you have a COPR stamped and signed, then your family can travel without AL as they are exempt from travel restrictions by virtue of being an immediate family member of a PR.

How to unite with your family member in Canada
You do not need a written authorization from us confirming that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions.

However, to board your flight to Canada, you must

• follow all airline requirements and pass a health check conducted by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
    • Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board a flight to Canada.
  • tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions
  • make sure you have a valid travel document (visitor visa or electronic travel authorization [eTA], if required) and a passport that is valid to come to Canada
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or Canadian permanent resident
  • show that you’re eligible to travelat this time
    • You must be able to provide evidence of one of the following:
      • You’ll stay in Canada for 15 days or more.
      • You’re travelling for a non-discretionary purpose.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#how-citizens-prs

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
If you have a COPR stamped and signed, then your family can travel without AL as they are exempt from travel restrictions by virtue of being an immediate family member of a PR.

You do not need a written authorization from us confirming that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions.

• follow all airline requirements and pass a health check conducted by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
  • make sure you have a valid travel document (visitor visa or electronic travel authorization [eTA], if required) and a passport that is valid to come to Canada
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or Canadian permanent resident
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#how-citizens-prs
THANK YOU :)

abdullah0900

Aug 11, 2013

@legalfalcon
Hi, can you please confirm it says visitors in the link you shared but the immediate family member would be entered into Canada as an immigrant. Will it be still applicable?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon
Hi, can you please confirm it says visitors in the link you shared but the immediate family member would be entered into Canada as an immigrant. Will it be still applicable?
As long as you have a valid visa, it can be a PR visa or a TRV. However, to enter Canada on a PR visa only the PA, who is an immediate family member can enter. The dependents cannot enter before the PA.

abdullah0900

Aug 11, 2013
As long as you have a valid visa, it can be a PR visa or a TRV. However, to enter Canada on a PR visa only the PA, who is an immediate family member can enter. The dependents cannot enter before the PA.
@legalfalcon
Thanks!!. Just to clarify my situations. So in my situation, I am in Canada holding COPR (PR Card application is in progress) and my wife she is outside Canada and currently she is holding valid COPR and PR Visa. In this case, she does not need the AL; however, she can travel to Canada with the supporting documents of our relationship (marriage certificate) and mine COPR at the border to enter into Canada ?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon
Thanks!!. Just to clarify my situations. So in my situation, I am in Canada holding COPR (PR Card application is in progress) and my wife she is outside Canada and currently she is holding valid COPR and PR Visa. In this case, she does not need the AL; however, she can travel to Canada with the supporting documents of our relationship (marriage certificate) and mine COPR at the border to enter into Canada ?
Absolutely your spouse can travel. The day you received your COPR, you became a PR, and your immediate family is exempt from travel restrictions, which includes your spouse.

Immediate family members do not need a written AL. Just proof of relationship.

Andnaij

Dec 10, 2019
Absolutely your spouse can travel. The day you received your COPR, you became a PR, and your immediate family is exempt from travel restrictions, which includes your spouse.

Immediate family members do not need a written AL. Just proof of relationship.
Thanks for the insight. What do you mean by “the day you received your COPR”? I have an AL but my spouse does not. Does this mean my spouse can accompany me the Principal applicant to land without her having an AL?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks for the insight. What do you mean by “the day you received your COPR”? I have an AL but my spouse does not. Does this mean my spouse can accompany me the Principal applicant to land without her having an AL?
Are you in Canada outside Canada?

IF you are in Canada and receive your COPR, your COPR will be signed, dated and stamped.

Andnaij

Dec 10, 2019
Are you in Canada outside Canada?

IF you are in Canada and receive your COPR, your COPR will be signed, dated and stamped.
I’m outside of Canada but I intend to land with my wife. My wife also has an extended family, a Sister, in Canada but we do not have a reply for an AL from IRCC.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I’m outside of Canada but I intend to land with my wife. My wife also has an extended family, a Sister, in Canada but we do not have a reply for an AL from IRCC.
Only the extended family member, who is related can travel. If the related family member is not a PA, they cannot land or travel on the PR visa. They will need a TRV.

Though when you apply for AL, you can request is for your entire family. But it will depend o the discretion of the visa officer.

Empero993

Apr 8, 2021
Hi,
I am an inland PR and will apply for a visit visa for my 7 years old daughter who lives abroad. Should I use my online account or create an account for her then apply? This representative option is tricky because i don't have documents from her. Or maybe I am missing something here. Can anyone advise?