+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling while holding only PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit)

ila8394

Aug 31, 2017
Hi all,

Last year a good friend of mine came to Canada as a student, and a few months ago she got her PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit). She is from Indonesia (which is a NON visa exempt country.)

Her dad (in Indonesia) is currently sick, and she's contemplating to go to Indonesia to give him a visit.

Her PGWP says "This does not authorize re-entry". My questions are:

1. Does that mean that in order to be able to return to Canada, she would need to apply for a tourist visa?

2. Being from a non visa exempt country, do you think it would be difficult for her to get a tourist visa?

3. In her tourist visa application, should she just be to the point and mention that her reason for wanting to travel to Canada is to go back to work, since she is holding a PGWP?

4. Should she apply for the tourist visa online (through the CIC portal) while still being here in Canada? Or should she do that once she's back in Indonesia?

Thanks!

Khris6

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Hi all,

Last year a good friend of mine came to Canada as a student, and a few months ago she got her PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit). She is from Indonesia (which is a NON visa exempt country.)

Her dad (in Indonesia) is currently sick, and she's contemplating to go to Indonesia to give him a visit.

Her PGWP says "This does not authorize re-entry". My questions are:

1. Does that mean that in order to be able to return to Canada, she would need to apply for a tourist visa?

2. Being from a non visa exempt country, do you think it would be difficult for her to get a tourist visa?

3. In her tourist visa application, should she just be to the point and mention that her reason for wanting to travel to Canada is to go back to work, since she is holding a PGWP?

4. Should she apply for the tourist visa online (through the CIC portal) while still being here in Canada? Or should she do that once she's back in Indonesia?

Thanks!

Hello, ila8394!

1. Yes, your friend must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa;

2. It's hard to tell about the success of getting a TRV but maybe a visa officer will consider her Work Permit plus also she was previously granted a study permit;

3. I think that is a given since she is PGWP holder. She may add on her letter that the reason why she needs to visit Indonesia is because of her sick father;

4. This is what I have read from CIC website, "While residing in Canada and holding a valid study or work permit you must apply to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa for and obtain a TRV, or after leaving, you must apply for and obtain a TRV abroad by applying to a Canadian visa office (see Application for a Temporary Resident Visa)." :)

ila8394

Aug 31, 2017
Hello, ila8394!

1. Yes, your friend must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa;

2. It's hard to tell about the success of getting a TRV but maybe a visa officer will consider her Work Permit plus also she was previously granted a study permit;

3. I think that is a given since she is PGWP holder. She may add on her letter that the reason why she needs to visit Indonesia is because of her sick father;

4. This is what I have read from CIC website, "While residing in Canada and holding a valid study or work permit you must apply to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa for and obtain a TRV, or after leaving, you must apply for and obtain a TRV abroad by applying to a Canadian visa office (see Application for a Temporary Resident Visa)." :)

Hi,

Thanks so much for the insights!

As you're aware, when applying for a TRV, an invitation letter (from someone living in Canada) is required. But given that she has a PGWP, is an invitation really required? I mean, having a PGWP obviously means she's coming back to Canada with the intention to continue working....so just wondering whether it's really necessary for her to get an invitation letter from someone living in Canada? (i.e.: Hi, I'm XYZ's friend, I'm inviting her to Canada for....etc...)

Or is it better to get her employer to write the invitation letter, stating that she's going back to Canada to continue working, and that she will leave Canada when the PGWP ends, etc...?

Any thoughts?

Khris6

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Hi,

Thanks so much for the insights!

As you're aware, when applying for a TRV, an invitation letter (from someone living in Canada) is required. But given that she has a PGWP, is an invitation really required? I mean, having a PGWP obviously means she's coming back to Canada with the intention to continue working....so just wondering whether it's really necessary for her to get an invitation letter from someone living in Canada? (i.e.: Hi, I'm XYZ's friend, I'm inviting her to Canada for....etc...)

Or is it better to get her employer to write the invitation letter, stating that she's going back to Canada to continue working, and that she will leave Canada when the PGWP ends, etc...?

Any thoughts?
I don't think an invitation letter is necessary. She will need the TRV for her to be able to enter Canada again after her visit in Indonesia :)

Tonia24

Mar 14, 2018
Hi, glad I found this. I'm in the same situation. How did your friend do this? Did she really get an invitation letter?

ila8394

Aug 31, 2017
Hi, glad I found this. I'm in the same situation. How did your friend do this? Did she really get an invitation letter?

Hello!

She just applied for the TRV via the CIC online portal.

She didn't submit an invitation letter and got the TRV just fine. I guess the immigration officer who processed her TRV must've been aware that since she had/has a PGWP, her intention was to go back to Canada to continue working.

Also, because she needed the TRV urgently, I told her to contact an MP (Member of Parliament) to see if they could ask immigration to process her TRV faster, and sure enough, it worked! Because of the MP's help, she got her passport (with the TRV glued) 1 week earlier than expected, and because of that, when she arrived at her home country, she had time to be with her dad, who passed away 3 days after her arrival :(

Tonia24

Mar 14, 2018
Hello!

She just applied for the TRV via the CIC online portal.

She didn't submit an invitation letter and got the TRV just fine. I guess the immigration officer who processed her TRV must've been aware that since she had/has a PGWP, her intention was to go back to Canada to continue working.

Also, because she needed the TRV urgently, I told her to contact an MP (Member of Parliament) to see if they could ask immigration to process her TRV faster, and sure enough, it worked! Because of the MP's help, she got her passport (with the TRV glued) 1 week earlier than expected, and because of that, when she arrived at her home country, she had time to be with her dad, who passed away 3 days after her arrival :(
Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate this. Thank God she was able to spend a few days with her dad before he passed on.