+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling after completion of studies waiting for PGWP approval

pedrocoelho

Nov 28, 2020
So, I'm making some travel arrangements for after I complete my degree studies at the end of this summer term, and thought I'd start this thread to help make sure my spouse and I won't run into any problems re-entering Canada.

I'm completing my studies this September, but my study permit and my spouse's work permit only expire on March 31, 2024 (as well as the visas stamped on our passports). I'll be ready to apply for PGWP mid-October since my university takes 3-4 weeks to issue completion letters.

Now, we want to visit family back home in December. The plan is we fly to Brazil just before Christmas and then fly back to Canada by the second weekend of January.

What happens if I don't get my PGWP approved by the time we leave Canada in December? I realize that, after getting PGWP approval within Canada, my spouse will have to apply for her work permit extension and we'll both need to apply for a new TRV; but will we be able to use our current TRVs to re-enter Canada in case the new ones aren't processed in time?

Thank you in advance!

DevSB

Mar 27, 2021
Yes, you can use your current TRV to re-enter Canada, it is valid until March 2024
If you apply for your PGWP and don't receive it by December, you will be on maintained (implied) status and will be able to enter Canada on the basis of that

Also note that your study permit will expire 90 days after your final grades are out, not March 2024