+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel without PR card

Confused12345

Apr 20, 2015
My PR card expired and it has now been over six months since I applied for a new one. It is still in process. We are traveling to Hong Kong next week for 2 weeks.

My question is how long does it take to apply and receive a travel document from the visa office in Hong Kong? Will I have enough time to do that?

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
Well it's hard to say buddy it depends from the office but I think 2 weeks is very little I heard it was about a month.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Confused12345 said:
My PR card expired and it has now been over six months since I applied for a new one. It is still in process. We are traveling to Hong Kong next week for 2 weeks.

My question is how long does it take to apply and receive a travel document from the visa office in Hong Kong? Will I have enough time to do that?
What passport do you hold?

If you are visa-exempt, you can return to Canada on the strength of just your passport.

Confused12345

Apr 20, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
What passport do you hold?

If you are visa-exempt, you can return to Canada on the strength of just your passport.
Hong Kong SAR passport so yes I am visa-exempt. But I will have to re enter as a permanent resident right? Do I show them my expired PR card? Bring my confirmation of permanent residence? Old passports?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Confused12345 said:
Hong Kong SAR passport so yes I am visa-exempt. But I will have to re enter as a permanent resident right? Do I show them my expired PR card? Bring my confirmation of permanent residence? Old passports?
Yes, you must enter Canada as a PR. Just show CBSA your expired card and the receipt from your renewal app.

Also, do not mention to the airline that you are a PR, as they may refuse to board you without a valid PR card.

bearebeare

Apr 21, 2015
air canada says that they check pr card on boarding carrier at gate. my question is i hold a u.s.passport and a recently expired pr card.i have applied for a renewal but no word yet. i leave in 3 days for hawaii how do i return? cic told me i needed to apply for a temporary travel document(pr card abroad) but when i contacted passport canada they said i was not eligible because i hold a valid passport and i was forwarded to canada boarder services,they say i am ok with my passport and landing document but the airline says they screen pre boarding of carrier
what should i do? i am traveling with my husband and children who are all canadian citizens

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bearebeare said:
air canada says that they check pr card on boarding carrier at gate. my question is i hold a u.s.passport and a recently expired pr card.i have applied for a renewal but no word yet. i leave in 3 days for hawaii how do i return? cic told me i needed to apply for a temporary travel document(pr card abroad) but when i contacted passport canada they said i was not eligible because i hold a valid passport and i was forwarded to canada boarder services,they say i am ok with my passport and landing document but the airline says they screen pre boarding of carrier
what should i do? i am traveling with my husband and children who are all canadian citizens
As I told the previous poster, don't tell the airline that you are a PR.

bearebeare

Apr 21, 2015
canuck_in_uk
i cannot remember what happens when boarding i am pulling a complete blank
do i just give them my us passport? how do they know if i have a pr card?
what happens if they ask ? i have the expired one and the receipt for the renewal plus every document i could think of
could they really deny me? do these people only work for the airline? cause canada boarder services says i only need my us passport to fly and then deal with immigration when i land
as you can see I'm a little stressed out about this and dont want to get stranded in hawaii

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bearebeare said:
do i just give them my us passport? how do they know if i have a pr card?
what happens if they ask ? i have the expired one and the receipt for the renewal plus every document i could think of
could they really deny me? do these people only work for the airline? cause canada boarder services says i only need my us passport to fly and then deal with immigration when i land
Yes, just give them your US passport. They don't know if you have a PR card, as they have no way of knowing you are a PR unless you tell them. If they ask anything, you are a visitor travelling to Canada with your family.

Yes, the airline could deny you if you can't show a valid PR card. Your expired one and proof of renewal counts for nothing with them.

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi,

I apply for PR and received my file number.
The issue is that my passport will expires soon and have to go back home to renew it.
I heard CIC can process urgently in some cases...is my case a valid reason?
Or i was think if my spouse caan pick up my card when its ready and mail it to me....is this doable?
Any things that can help will be appreciated.
Thank you

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2cookies said:
Hi,

I apply for PR and received my file number.
The issue is that my passport will expires soon and have to go back home to renew it.
I heard CIC can process urgently in some cases...is my case a valid reason?
Or i was think if my spouse caan pick up my card when its ready and mail it to me....is this doable?
Any things that can help will be appreciated.
Thank you
Renewing passport may not be a reason to expedite process. You may try to expedite only by sending proof of travel, still doesn't mean they will expedite.

Your husband may receive card in mail and send it to you but if CIC requires that you pick it up from local office then there is nothing your husband can do.

You may apply for PRTD at a visa office abroad if you meet resideny requirements.

You do not have to have valid passport while you are a PR in Canada.

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
CanV said:
Renewing passport may not be a reason to expedite process. You may try to expedite only by sending proof of travel, still doesn't mean they will expedite.

Your husband may receive card in mail and send it to you but if CIC requires that you pick it up from local office then there is nothing your husband can do.

You may apply for PRTD at a visa office abroad if you meet resideny requirements.

You do not have to have valid passport while you are a PR in Canada.
Hi Canv,

Actually my passport is valid but expiring in November. I was told cannot travel if within 6 months of expiration date. Reason why i want to get the PR card asap otherwise if i leave Canada now it will be an issue coming back without me having the PR card.
I appreciate your help on this issue.
Thank you

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2cookies said:
Hi Canv,

Actually my passport is valid but expiring in November. I was told cannot travel if within 6 months of expiration date. Reason why i want to get the PR card asap otherwise if i leave Canada now it will be an issue coming back without me having the PR card.
I appreciate your help on this issue.
Thank you
Am I right in thinking you are from Mauritius? If yes, you do not need to travel home to renew your passport, it can be renewed by mail via the embassy in Washington DC.

In general, the 6 month month validity rule for passports applies for travel as a visitor, not between your country of citizenship and your country of residence.

HTH

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
Lammawitch said:
Am I right in thinking you are from Mauritius? If yes, you do not need to travel home to renew your passport, it can be renewed by mail via the embassy in Washington DC.

In general, the 6 month month validity rule for passports applies for travel as a visitor, not between your country of citizenship and your country of residence.

HTH
Thanks a lot Lammawitch

Confused12345

Apr 20, 2015
So my family went on the trip and I cancelled my flight (didn't want to risk it or the trouble). Now I got the approval for my card! How long does it take to mail? Or when do they let u know to pick up card?