+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to USA from Canada when on Implied status

chacks

Mar 31, 2013
Dear Experts, Need your advise asap. I am 65 yrs old. I am Indian Citizen. I am with daughter at Toronto on VISITOR VISA since end of Dec 2016. I want to extend my stay at Canada so I applied for stay extension as its crossing 6 months (I have 10 yrs valid VISITOR visa) stay. I applied for extension a month back & it will take another 2 months to approve. I received the acknowledge from CIC for my application stating the application is in progress.
Currently I am on IMPLIED status at Canada. Now I am planning to travel to USA by ROAD (I have valid USA visitor visa) for 2 weeks for visiting my relative.

Can you please advise on:
1. am I allowed to travel out of Canada to USA by ROAD & come back to Canada by Road as I am currently on IMPLIED status at Canada?
2. If yes, will my stay extension application still be in progress though I go out of Canada & come back to Canada by ROAD?
3. Is there any CIC website link I can refer?

Thank you in advance!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Dear Experts, Need your advise asap. I am 65 yrs old. I am Indian Citizen. I am with daughter at Toronto on VISITOR VISA since end of Dec 2016. I want to extend my stay at Canada so I applied for stay extension as its crossing 6 months (I have 10 yrs valid VISITOR visa) stay. I applied for extension a month back & it will take another 2 months to approve. I received the acknowledge from CIC for my application stating the application is in progress.
Currently I am on IMPLIED status at Canada. Now I am planning to travel to USA by ROAD (I have valid USA visitor visa) for 2 weeks for visiting my relative.

Can you please advise on:
1. am I allowed to travel out of Canada to USA by ROAD& come back to Canada by Road as I am currently on IMPLIED status at Canada?
Unless you're from a visa exempt country then yes you can re-enter but otherwise CBSA won't let you reenter without a valid visa.

2. If yes, will my stay extension application still be in progress though I go out of Canada & come back to Canada by ROAD?
Yes your application will still process even if you're outside Canada

3. Is there any CIC website link I can refer?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: chacks

chacks

Mar 31, 2013
Thank you for the quick reply. I do have valid multiple entry visitor visa. So will they allow me to come back to Canada?.
Thank you for letting me know that you traveled once. You are from a visa exempt country?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the quick reply. I do have valid multiple entry visitor visa. So will they allow me to come back to Canada?.
Thank you for letting me know that you traveled once. You are from a visa exempt country?
Your extension application is only valid if you remain in Canada.

When you leave Canada, Implied Status ends. You will be re-assessed as a new visitor upon re-entry. No one here can say whether you will be admitted or not. That is entirely up to the CBSA officer; if the officer decides that you are trying to live in Canada as a visitor, it is quite possible that you will be refused re-entry.