+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Canada

YUV1981

Mar 5, 2014
Hello, Need help answering some questions.

My mother-in-law was fully vaccinated (Covaxin 2 shots) back in April 2021. She is scheduled to travel to Canada on Oct 3, 2021 (She was scheduled to travel in May but the ticket kept on postponed up until Oct). Questions below:

1. Can she travel (I know Covaxin was not on the list of accepted vaccines)?
2. Back in April 2021, she was tested Covid positive and now recovered. Should she still have to get the Negative molecular test result?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, Need help answering some questions.

My mother-in-law was fully vaccinated (Covaxin 2 shots) back in April 2021. She is scheduled to travel to Canada on Oct 3, 2021 (She was scheduled to travel in May but the ticket kept on postponed up until Oct). Questions below:

1. Can she travel (I know Covaxin was not on the list of accepted vaccines)?
2. Back in April 2021, she was tested Covid positive and now recovered. Should she still have to get the Negative molecular test result?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Yes she can still travel. She will need to prove that she is the mother of a Canadian or PR. Yes she needs to do a covid test. If she is from India there are some new covid test instructions. To be able to enter Canada she’ll need to provide an acceptable quarantine plan. If you have a basement with a bathroom that would be an option or an Airbnb.

YUV1981

Mar 5, 2014
Hi,
My Mother in Law (MIL) has reached safely to Toronto and is in Quarantine.
Let me summarize he travel:
1. Travelled from Chennai - Delhi from Domestic terminal. - She had to take her luggage from Delhi airport and check in for the flight from Delhi - Toronto
2. RT-PCR test from Chennai - Delhi travel - Though the Air India agents told me that the passenger would not require any negative test result to travel to Delhi but this was not the case. My MIL was asked for the negative report to board the domestic flight. So please get the negative report from the city wherever you will start your journey.
3. Wheelchair Assistance and RT-PCR test in Delhi - I have asked for wheelchair assistance for my MIL so that worked out pretty well. She was helped from the time she landed in Delhi, helped in getting her luggages and finally helped in going to the testing lab to get her Covid test done. She had to wait in the lobby for almost 6 - 7 hrs and finally got her report that was negative.
4. Checking In for Toronto Flight - The covid test report will first be sent to the email you have provided and later the hard copy has to be picked up in some counter, which again will be assisted for the wheelchair passengers. During the check-in the airport authorities were looking into the Negative test report that was taken in the Delhi airport and the Arrive CAN app. The ArriveCan app did not had the verified checkmark and she was asked to wait. The reason it did not had the checkmark was because she had Covaxin vaccine. For those who would have had the Canada approved Vaccine, you can upload the test results in the ArriveCan app which will then make your status as verified in that App. But since it was Covaxin there was no place to upload the results in the ArriveCan app. After some explanations (we talked over the phone to the airport officers), the officers didnt know this info, neither do we. It was told to us that it needs to get approved and my MIL was asked to wait for 30 mins and finally approved, she boarded the flight.
5. Immigration in YYZ - Reached safely, was asked to take a Covid test on arrival (I think because she had covaxin), showed the negative test result to the Immigration officer and she was asked to Quarantine (we already had given the details about the place of Quarantine in ArriveCan app) by Public Health Canada, they provided her the kit to do the test on 8th day.

Finally she was out of the airport and currently in quarantine.

Hope this helps.

gehlot.paresh

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Hi,
1. Travelled from Chennai - Delhi from Domestic terminal. - She had to take her luggage from Delhi airport and check in for the flight from Delhi - Toronto
2. RT-PCR test from Chennai - Delhi travel - Though the Air India agents told me that the passenger would not require any negative test result to travel to Delhi but this was not the case. My MIL was asked for the negative report to board the domestic flight. So please get the negative report from the city wherever you will start your journey.
3. Wheelchair Assistance and RT-PCR test in Delhi - I have asked for wheelchair assistance for my MIL so that worked out pretty well. She was helped from the time she landed in Delhi, helped in getting her luggages and finally helped in going to the testing lab to get her Covid test done. She had to wait in the lobby for almost 6 - 7 hrs and finally got her report that was negative.
4. Checking In for Toronto Flight - The covid test report will first be sent to the email you have provided and later the hard copy has to be picked up in some counter, which again will be assisted for the wheelchair passengers. During the check-in the airport authorities were looking into the Negative test report that was taken in the Delhi airport and the Arrive CAN app. The ArriveCan app did not had the verified checkmark and she was asked to wait. The reason it did not had the checkmark was because she had Covaxin vaccine. For those who would have had the Canada approved Vaccine, you can upload the test results in the ArriveCan app which will then make your status as verified in that App. But since it was Covaxin there was no place to upload the results in the ArriveCan app. After some explanations (we talked over the phone to the airport officers), the officers didnt know this info, neither do we. It was told to us that it needs to get approved and my MIL was asked to wait for 30 mins and finally approved, she boarded the flight.
5. Immigration in YYZ - Reached safely, was asked to take a Covid test on arrival (I think because she had covaxin), showed the negative test result to the Immigration officer and she was asked to Quarantine (we already had given the details about the place of Quarantine in ArriveCan app) by Public Health Canada, they provided her the kit to do the test on 8th day.

Hope this helps.
This is helpful, thank you so much for sharing.
one question,
was she allowed to be picked up by you or any other family member?
or was she picked up by Government Facility Car and dropped off to Quarantine Location?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is helpful, thank you so much for sharing.
one question,
was she allowed to be picked up by you or any other family member?
or was she picked up by Government Facility Car and dropped off to Quarantine Location?
You must arrange travel to the quarantine location. Family member can pick up although they should remain socially distanced and wear masks. The visitor should remain in the backseat on the opposite side of the car with the windows partially down to keep ventilation in the car.

Vedhu

Sep 1, 2017
Hi,

Hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing her experience. What kind of molecular test she took at delhi airport? I saw two kind of tests- Pcr and rapid pcr. We are travelling to toronto on next month and we have lay over of about 9 hrs. Would you please provide some info regarding the test she took at the airport?