+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travel to canada using RTD and visa without any sphonsorship

mharia milani

May 24, 2018
Hi everyone

Im just helping my friend he is a refugee from Papua nEw Guinea Manus Island under by australia government
he is planning to travel canada next month unfortunately he dont know anyone in canada and he doesnt have a sponsorhip but he is using a RTD and get approved on eta canada and he also have certificate of identity. My question is before he plan to travel to canada do he need to apply or look for a lawyer or someone will sponsor to him or any certain documents aside from RTD?
My second question from papua new guinea airport he will transit via Philippines is Philippines accept RTD and need to apply visa?
Thanks you for interest to answer my questions
My Allah Bless you all.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
An RTD is for accepted Canadian protected people. The Australian version is actually called a CTD. There is no way I can see how a refugee from Australia who has been sent to Manus would be able to enter Canada. The risk of overstay would be too big.

Last edited:

mharia milani

May 24, 2018
hi bro
An RTD is for accepted Canadian protected people. The Australian version is actually called a CTD. There is no way I can see how a refugee from Australia who has been sent to Manus would be able to enter Canada by plane. There must be some confusion. Perhaps he is trying to visit and not settle?
its means if he want to settle to canada he need to apply for refugee settlement before he go which is take time right? but he can go to canada to just for travel then from their can apply for refugee settlement.He is under papua new guinea immigration and unchr.

mharia milani

May 24, 2018
Has been accepted as a refugee? If not he can't get a CTD.
yes and he has approved eta to canada just wondering if he can travel to canada without any sponsorship because he dont know anyone in canada might the immigration will ask him who gonna sponsor him or where he will stay...................etc.....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The issue will likely be at immigration. He has a high probability of being refused admission by CBSA. An ETA will allow him to land in Canada but does not guarantee that he can enter Canada and exit the airport. Given that he is coming from PNG as an Australian refugee and I am assuming he may not have a job, property or family to show that he plans on returning he has a very high chance of being sent back. Sounds like he doesn't have a good reason for traveling to Canada like visiting family. Also he should know that he can't ask for asylum in Canada because he already has asylum.

Last edited:

mharia milani

May 24, 2018
The issue will likely be at immigration. He has a high probability of being refused admission by CBSA. An ETA will allow him to land in Canada but does not guarantee that he can enter Canada and exit the airport. Given that he is coming from PPG as an Australian refugee and I am assuming he may not have a job, property or family to show that he plans on returning he has a very high chance of being sent back. Sounds like he doesn't have a good reason for traveling to Canada like visiting family. Also he should know that he can't ask for asylum in Canada because he already has asylum.
but in case we find a friend who is willing to make an invitation letter there was a chance he can enter canada like visiting friends purposes for a couple of month

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It would be more dependent on him being able to prove that he has strong reasons to return to PNG. Also don't know whether he also can show that he has the funds to pay for a vacation in Canada but that is another thing that will be asked. Nobody can predict 100% what will happen but he is at very high risk to not want to return to PPG so your friend needs to know that an ETA means he can fly into Canada but does not mean he will be allowed to enter. He also needs to check about the transit countries. I am also not sure how they differentiate the documents for the refugees who are limited to PNG.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Other refugees on PNG must have tried something similar so he should see what happened to them.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
yes and he has approved eta to canada just wondering if he can travel to canada without any sponsorship because he dont know anyone in canada might the immigration will ask him who gonna sponsor him or where he will stay...................etc.....
He can't have an approved eTA. As a holder of a Refugee Travel Document, he requires a TRV to travel to Canada.

mharia milani

May 24, 2018
He can't have an approved eTA. As a holder of a Refugee Travel Document, he requires a TRV to travel to Canada.
he's currently working here in Papua New Guinea when he apply eta Canada using his RTD I was suprised they approved it my concern is do he need someone will sponsor to him to Canada like group of five or a private organization before go to canada I was confused too might be the risk immigration send him back to PNG.:(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
he's currently working here in Papua New Guinea when he apply eta Canada using his RTD I was suprised they approved it my concern is do he need someone will sponsor to him to Canada like group of five or a private organization before go to canada I was confused too might be the risk immigration send him back to PNG.:(
He probably applied on a fake website. He can't have a valid eTA as a holder of a Refugee Travel Document.

Reactions: Bryanna

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/eta/english.pdf states VERY CLEARLY that a Refugee Travel Document can't be used to apply for an eTA. As soon as IRCC discover the error, it will be cancelled, if in fact one was ever approved.

Refugee travel document
A travel document issued to non-citizens with protected-person status, including Convention refugees
and persons in need of protection. Note: you are not eligible to apply for an eTA using this document.
You may need a visa or other type of travel document to travel to Canada.
I just tested the genuine eTA application web site. As soon as you select "Refugee Travel Document" it blocks any further application progress. It's simply not possible for him to have an eTA

Last edited:

mharia milani

May 24, 2018
He probably applied on a fake website. He can't have a valid eTA as a holder of a Refugee Travel Document.
ok thanks guys much better to find a lawyer to consult how my friend can claim refugee to canada my research and my knowledge about this matter was not good enough.:(