+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Insurance vs Visitors to Canada Healthcare

jengjeng

Mar 7, 2013
Hi everyone,
I'm currently living in Australia, and am awaiting my working holiday visa to come through. I've just been researching healthcare and need some advice on which healthcare option to take up, for the full 2 years. The area I was thinking of going to is Toronto, Ontario, however I do want to move to Montreal after a year or so. Also, I'd like the option to be able to travel to the US or South America on little holidays whilst I'm in Canada. My question is, is it better to take up travel insurance from somewhere like World Nomads or go with a visitors to canada healthcare.

The one thing i'm unsure of is, if i was to take up the visitors to canada healthcare option, will i have to take up a different policy if i move to a different province? and also if overseas breaks/holidays will be covered?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
In some provinces, workers are eligible for provincial medical coverage from the day they arrive provided their work permit is valid for at least 12 months. Find out what the rules are for Ontario and see if you qualify. If you are eligible for OHIP based on your work permit, there is a 3 month wait period before it kicks in, so at the very least you would need some insurance for this period.

jengjeng

Mar 7, 2013
Thanks, i havent really been looking at OHIP, as I don't think i would be eligible (i guess i'll have to wait until i get my visa and look into it further). The only options i've been researching were the travel insurance via world nomads, and the insurance plans for visitors to canada.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jengjeng!
Visitors to Canada policies cover you all over Canada, no matter where you decide to stay. You will not need to get new policies every time you move. The insurance will move with you across Canada. Most of them also provide coverage for side trips, as you mentioned you would like to travel to US or South America. The only thing is that you will have to buy the insurance for one year, as none sell for a longer period of time in advance. You will be able to extend it later on.

If you have any questions at all about Visitors to Canada insurance, please feel free to send me a private message or email me at arbetov.office@gmail.com
You can also visit our website: www.arbetovinsurance.com

jengjeng

Mar 7, 2013
haver said:
Jengjeng!
Visitors to Canada policies cover you all over Canada, no matter where you decide to stay. You will not need to get new policies every time you move. The insurance will move with you across Canada. Most of them also provide coverage for side trips, as you mentioned you would like to travel to US or South America. The only thing is that you will have to buy the insurance for one year, as none sell for a longer period of time in advance. You will be able to extend it later on.
Awesome, thanks for clearing it up for me, haver! I'll take a look at your website and email you if i have any further questions :) thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your best is TIC travel insurance, if you buy from U.S. insurance companies operating in Canada they will not insure any trip to Cuba due to the embargo.

If you are interested contact me directly I will be happy to get the coverage that you need.

Petermiyuki

Feb 2, 2013
Hello Jengjeng!

Visitors to Canada policies provide good coverage, however the truth is that it is better to get travel insurance from Australia if your country of origin is also Australia.

The outbound travel insurance usually provides far better coverage than the inbound coverage due to the underwriting reasons. If you are unable to get coverage from Australia or already you in Canada, then you have no choice but get Visitors to Canada insurance.

We are very honest travel insurance agency for the customers interests first. If you have any questions, please ask Bridges International (biis.ca). Hope you are having wonderful working holidays in Canada! :)

Lisa

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I cannot comment of Australian Insurance providers even though many of my friends are pure bred Australians. I can tell you it is easier to get claims paid in Canada with Canadian Insurance Companies. Secondly many Insurance Companies and reinsurers are global such as Lloyds, Royal Sun Alliance to name a few. At the end of the day they are the ones writing the cheque for the claim regardless of the jurisdiction where the insurance policy was purchased from.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tic just amended their planes called inpatriate travel insurance to find out more you can go to my website www.stone-hedgefinancialgroup.ca

If you are interested I can email you the policies or you can see them on the TIC web site directly the real link is https://www.travelinsurance.ca/en/public/Pages/default.aspx

this is the TIC Travel Insurance company web site the previous link a brokers website.

kmaust

Jul 22, 2013
Jengjeng how did you go?

I am from Australia also and going to Canada (BC though) and I need 2 years insurance. From what I can gather on this forum it's mostly insurance brokers or companies answering the questions and recommending themselves. I'd love to hear from others who are in our situation and to know what they did.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just had this situation with a client. The majority of insurance companies will not allow you to buy two years of coverage at a time the max is typically one year. If you are looking for two years of coverage to buy at the same time I do have a company that can do this.

You can visit my web site www.stone-hedgefinancialgroup.ca
or call me directly.

All the best.

jengjeng

Mar 7, 2013
kmaust said:
Jengjeng how did you go?

I am from Australia also and going to Canada (BC though) and I need 2 years insurance. From what I can gather on this forum it's mostly insurance brokers or companies answering the questions and recommending themselves. I'd love to hear from others who are in our situation and to know what they did.
hi kmaust..sorry for the late reply! it's been awhile since i've logged on to the site.
Anyway, I decided to go with a visitors to canada insurance. I spoke to a lot of people and read a lot of reviews, and although a travel insurance from an australian company seemed better (unlimited medical etc), i just felt that dealing with a canadian company would be easier, in the event that something does happen *knocks on wood.* I went with TIC and purchased it through arbetov insurance.

i bought a one year plan and will just extend later on. you shouldn't have any problem at the border, the immigration officer looked at it, upon my arrival, and gave me the full 2 years working visa =]

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have had these type of requests, you can buy two one year back to back policies to satisfy Citizenship and Immigration Canada. With TIC for some ages it is actually cheaper to but Inpatriate Medical insurance instead of Visitors to Canada.

http://www.stone-hedgefinancialgroup.ca/inpatriate-travel-insurance

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jengjeng, that's great! We are so happy to hear that you got the 2 year visa!Good luck to you!
Arbetov Insurance team :)