+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Document!

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys!
I will be applying for a travel document in order to cancel my Permanent Residence status next year as I would have stayed for three and a half year continuously here in India, though I do have a valid PR card which will expire after 1 and a half year(I received a mail from Canadian high commission saying I can apply for a travel doc if I have a valid PR card but do not meat residency obligation).

Now assuming that they don't cancel my travel document application(and cancel my PR status) and issue me a Travel document, then-

Will my five year period for purpose of residency determination start afresh and I can again leave Canada for three years like a new Permanent Resident? OR
Will I have to stay inside Canada continuously for two years until I again meat the residency obligation and get new PR card?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they do approve the travel document, they will expect you to go to Canada and stay for 2 years to meet your requirements. That is what a travel document is for (if they approve it). If you don't do it and a year later, you lose your PR card and need another travel document, they might not give it to you again.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Leon said:
If they do approve the travel document, they will expect you to go to Canada and stay for 2 years to meet your requirements. That is what a travel document is for (if they approve it). If you don't do it and a year later, you lose your PR card and need another travel document, they might not give it to you again.
Thanks Leon!
one more thing, Can I apply for a new PR card when I go to Canada on the basis of the travel document even without complying with the residency obligations?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get the travel document stating some good reason why you couldn't meet the residency requirements, you can apply for a new PR card stating the same reasons but if you already have a PR card and it isn't expired, you would also have to tell them why you need a new one now, lost, stolen, destroyed etc.

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
Dear if you already have a valid PR card, though you did not meet the residency obligation, then why you need a travel document? You can travel to canada by showing your PR card only....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If memory serves me right, Tegveer is studying overseas and is not planning on returning to Canada for the 2 years needed to meet the residency requirements. He is however still young enough that his parents who are in Canada can sponsor him for PR again. He is planning on losing his PR in order for his parents to sponsor him back.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Leon said:
If memory serves me right, Tegveer is studying overseas and is not planning on returning to Canada for the 2 years needed to meet the residency requirements. He is however still young enough that his parents who are in Canada can sponsor him for PR again. He is planning on losing his PR in order for his parents to sponsor him back.
thats absolutely accurate! just checking out for any loopholes in the plan ;) lol thanks for your help!