+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document was refused

Edi.SH

Dec 14, 2014
hello, I'm looking for some help... i came to Canada on June 2008 as a PR and left after 3 months because i was accepted to the university in my home country with full scholarship to study civil engineering.
i graduated on August this year but my PR was expired so i submit for travel document but it was refused... they say i can appeal in 60 days.... my dream for the last six years was just to finish my degree and move to Canada, i just don't know what should i do now and what are my options, because from what i have read on this forum the chance to win the appeal is zero...
(my father and my sister are living in Canada since 2004)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately studying outside of Canada is not accepted as an H&C reason for failing to meet the residency obligation. You can certainly try appealing - however I agree the chances of success are low. If your entire family had left Canada when you did then it might be possible to argue that you were removed from Canada as a child. But given your age and the fact that your father and sister are in Canada, I don't think you can argue this. You made a decision on your own to leave Canada and attend university outside of the country.

You will likely have to apply for PR again - this time independently (e.g. as a skilled worker).

Edi.SH

Dec 14, 2014
thank you very much scylla.... can i enter to Canada and try to find a job as a structural engineer that will give me LMO or after i lost my PR i can't come into Canada?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Edi.SH said:
thank you very much scylla.... can i enter to Canada and try to find a job as a structural engineer that will give me LMO or after i lost my PR i can't come into Canada?
I find your question strange. When you already lost your PR status, on what grounds you are coming to Canada? You will be subject to the same requirements as everyone else. Having a previous PR status gives you no special treatment.

Edi.SH

Dec 14, 2014
can you please recommend in which province it will be easer to get PR on PNP as a civil engineer?
thank you for your help and your answers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Edi.SH said:
You can certainly still come to Canada. However I assume you must hold a non visa exempt passport. If that's the case, you will need to apply for a tourist visa to enter Canada. It may be difficult for you to obtain a visitor visa if you recently lost your PR status and given the number of family members you have in Canada - CIC may suspect you have plans to remain in Canada long term.

You should also investigate what it will take for you to work in Canada as an engineer with your foreign credentials. I believe you will find that you cannot immediately work as an engineer on arriving to Canada. Additionally, LMIAs are difficult to get for new grads. An employer has to prove they could not find someone to hire who is already in Canada. This will be difficult to prove given Canada has lots of engineering grads (it would be different if you already had a few years of work experience).

The majority of economic immigration programs require you to have at least one year of related work experience before you apply. So you may have to start by getting a year of work experience outside of Canada.

Edi.SH

Dec 14, 2014
thank you so much for the information!!!! i guess i will have to pay for my stupidity for leaving Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's an older discussion that explains what you need to do to work in Canada as an engineer if you are foreign trained:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/engineers-with-foreign-quals-how-to-succeed-t37451.0.html

Another option you could consider is coming to Canada as a foreign student to continue your engineering studies (i.e. Masters of PhD). The downsides of this option are that foreign student tuition fees are expensive and that yo will still need to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and don't plan to remain in Canada long term.