03-06-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2013
Hello,

My husband has been granted his permanent residency but we do not plan to permanently land until July 2014 due to school and work contracts. However, we want to visit Canada for three weeks this Christmas. He went to pick up his passport today and was told it was a big hassle and to not go. We have plane tickets, etc., in place (I was not expecting the Visa to be granted so quickly). He has a multiple-entry visa, which is what we were planning on using for the trip but they said that's void now that he has the PR Visa paperwork.

My question is- Is there any solution to this? Should he apply for a travel document to enter Canada in December, Return to Colombia in January and then move to Canada in July? Is this how a travel document works? I'd really appreciate any advice you might have. Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can not apply for a travel document to enter in December because he is not a PR yet. He may have the PR visa already but he does not become a PR until he officially lands.

When he goes to Canada in December, he can ask at the border if he can use his visit visa to enter this time and land in July. If they allow it, no problem. If they say no, he will land in December and will have to give an address in Canada for his PR card. If you give the address of relatives and they get his PR card in the mail, they can send it to him. If he has the PR card, he does not need a travel document to re-enter in July. If the PR card doesn't work out, he can apply for a travel document to re-enter in July.

cinc

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
24-04-2013
Med's Request
03-06-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2013
Hi Leon,
Thanks for your reply. They have put two giant stamps through his TRV that says "Cancelled without Prejudice." I also have read that he may have to show himself in person at an office to get the PR card. Do you know how likely this is? Do you know if getting a travel document issued is likely or difficult? Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cinc said:
Hi Leon,
Thanks for your reply. They have put two giant stamps through his TRV that says "Cancelled without Prejudice." I also have read that he may have to show himself in person at an office to get the PR card. Do you know how likely this is? Do you know if getting a travel document issued is likely or difficult? Thanks!
The first PR card is always mailed out. There is only a problem if they find that the photos are not good enough or if it gets lost in the mail.

Getting a travel document depends on meeting the residency obligation. The residency obligation is based on spending at least 730 days in Canada in the first 5 years as a PR and in any rolling 5 year period after that. As he will only have been outside Canada for about 6 months when he applies, it would not be possible for him to be in breach of the RO yet because he would still have 4.5 years left to meet the RO in his first 5 as a PR.

The processing time for a travel document can be a few or even several weeks depending on the embassy. They are usually valid for 6 months so he can apply for it ahead of time.

cinc

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
24-04-2013