+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document - outside Canada

Lindsy77

Jan 12, 2018
Hello,

I appreciate the input/advice/comments here from all who pass through a similar situation
We lost the PR card of our daughter three months ago, but we did our citizenship test on October 24.
We are intended to travel outside Canada for Christmas break but worried about how our daughter can enter Canada after we return back

We googled and searched for an answer, all that we heard and knew is that she needs to obtain a temporary travel document to enable her to re-enter Canada.

My question, did anyone pass through a similar situation? if yes, how long it took to obtain this travel document?

Thanks in advance

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
depends on the country, some process in few days, some in few weeks.
Apply for her PRTD as soon as you get there.
Check requirements for paperwork for that specific country's Canadian Visa office. Refer to CIC website for details

Lindsy77

Jan 12, 2018
depends on the country, some process in a few days, some in few weeks.
Apply for her PRTD as soon as you get there.
Check requirements for paperwork for that specific country's Canadian Visa office. Refer to CIC website for details
Thank you so much for replying back
I am much concerned because our break is very short and I don't my daughter stuck there.
I did contact the embassy in my home country, all that they answered, was send me links to the CIC website!!!!

Appreciate any other inputs

Gibe

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
You're too late to ask for a PR card as the minimum processing time is 3 weeks. So yes PRTD is the only safe solution, I guess.

An other solution would be to come back to Canada by land. Normally the CoPR is enough to cross the border from the US.
So on your way back, first land in the US then come back by car/train/bus to Canada. However you might need a visa to get into US depending on your current citizenship.

Lindsy77

Jan 12, 2018
You're too late to ask for a PR card as the minimum processing time is 3 weeks. So yes PRTD is the only safe solution, I guess.

An other solution would be to come back to Canada by land. Normally the CoPR is enough to cross the border from the US.
So on your way back, first land in the US then come back by car/train/bus to Canada. However you might need a visa to get into US depending on your current citizenship.
Thanks for taking the time to reply
Unfortunately, I know that I am too late. It is a trip that is been planned very late as well

As for the US, it is not valid solution for us as we will need transit visa for all of us (family of 4) which at least will need another 3 weeks
It seems, we have to cancel the trip. Even in our home country, at the airport before the departure, officers asks for Canadian PR card to allow us board the plane

Thank you all for your replies

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Yes if you're from a country that requires visas and PR Cards (not visa exempt), then its best to not travel until the pr card arrives for all.

It's an expensive cost but once you get your pr cards, if you can afford, get US Visitor Visas for everyone, so that in future you can return/go via USA if necessary. PR Cards are ridiculously slow at arrival even for new immigrants,and renewal is taking atleast 4 months or more.
I also suggest trying to get eligible and apply for citizensip as soon as you guys are eligible and be done with this CIC hassles.

Lindsy77

Jan 12, 2018
Thanks canvis for your reply and advise
Yes, I agree it is ridiculous to obtain a replacement PR card, one treated like a new PR card application.
We decided not to travel, it is heartbreaking ofr our family in our home country and for the kids here.
Thanks a lot for your inputs/comments