+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document for permanent resident

federer.usmle

Oct 1, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I want to apply for travel document , i'm already permanent resident

I read that i need to send them my original permanent card and copy is not accepted , is that true ?

And if i send them my original passport(which will be expired in few months and i don't want to renew it ) as proof of identity , are they gonna return it to me or they will keep it with them ?

Thank you so much

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then you must send what they want from you. Otherwise, you wont get your travel document. Originals means originals, and be assured that they will return them to you.

federer.usmle

Oct 1, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
key78 said:
Then you must send what they want from you. Otherwise, you wont get your travel document. Originals means originals, and be assured that they will return them to you.
Thank you so much for answering me

if i apply for travel document after my passport expired(in few months), do i still have to send them the expired passport ?

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YES, you can send it to them. you are not applying for a travel document. Since you are a refugee and you have your permanent resident status, you must apply for the Certificate of identity

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/travel-documents/types.asp

federer.usmle

Oct 1, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
key78 said:
YES, you can send it to them. you are not applying for a travel document. Since you are a refugee and you have your permanent resident status, you must apply for the Certificate of identity
Really! :eek:

i did not know that , even though i called them yesterday and they didn't say anything about certificate of identity !

I'm now confused between travel document and certificate of identity. :-X

I came from Syria as refugee and i have permanent card. Now , they consider me as refugee or permanent resident or both ?

Do you recommend me to consult a lawyer ?

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you are a permanent resident of Canada but you are still the under the refugee category (Being refugee in a country means you are not supposed to renew your own country passport), so that's why you need to apply for the certificate of identity.

You don't need a lawyer, just apply for the the certificate of Identity.

To clarify and summarize things for you:

(1) there are refugees in Canada who does not have permanent resident status in Canada - Those need to apply for Travel document

(2) There are refugees in Canada who have permanent resident status in Canada- Those need to apply for Certificate of Identity.

You are in the second (2)

Both the travel document and Certificate of identity do the same function (they act like passports) but they have different names..that's all about it

That's how the system works in Canada :)

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
federer.usmle said:
Really! :eek:

i did not know that , even though i called them yesterday and they didn't say anything about certificate of identity !

I'm now confused between travel document and certificate of identity. :-X

I came from Syria as refugee and i have permanent card. Now , they consider me as refugee or permanent resident or both ?

Do you recommend me to consult a lawyer ?
I hope you got it. You are a refugee with a permanent resident---that's the easy way to say it

federer.usmle

Oct 1, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
key78 said:
you are a permanent resident of Canada but you are still the under the refugee category (Being refugee in a country means you are not supposed to renew your own country passport), so that's why you need to apply for the certificate of identity.

You don't need a lawyer, just apply for the the certificate of Identity.

To clarify and summarize things for you:

(1) there are refugees in Canada who does not have permanent resident status in Canada - Those need to apply for Travel document

(2) There are refugees in Canada who have permanent resident status in Canada- Those need to apply for Certificate of Identity.

You are in the second (2)

That's how the system works in Canada :)

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I appreciate it :)

One last question and that's it . i have exam in December and i was required to put my national number (which is like an ID number written on

passport ) ,so i used that number . when i will apply for the new certificate of identity ,does this number will be written in the new document ?

because i need this number as proof of identity in the exam center and it is only written on the passport .i hope you understand my point .

Thank you

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, the number of the certificate of Identify won't be written in the new document

you can apply for the certificate of identity ,say today, and you will get it in 20 days and then can use the number on the certificate of Identity as your ID. and update the test center with your new ID.

you can use your own country passport number as an ID on the test form but the result of the exam will be shown with the ID used (your own country passport number), but then you need to show your school/work your expired passport to prove it's you that took the test.

To avoid all of this, just apply for the certificate of identity today and start using it as your passport

federer.usmle

Oct 1, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I looked at the internet ,there is no separate form for certificate of identity !

I only found the travel document form application which is pptc 190.

is the travel document form and certificate of identity have the same form ?

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes it is the same form. Passport Canada will issue you Certificate of Identity based on the information you will provide such as you PR Card and etc.

federer.usmle

Oct 1, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
key78 said:
No, the number of the certificate of Identify won't be written in the new document

you can apply for the certificate of identity ,say today, and you will get it in 20 days and then can use the number on the certificate of Identity as your ID. and update the test center with your new ID.

you can use your own country passport number as an ID on the test form but the result of the exam will be shown with the ID used (your own country passport number), but then you need to show your school/work your expired passport to prove it's you that took the test.

To avoid all of this, just apply for the certificate of identity today and start using it as your passport
But when i apply for the certificate of identity they will not return the passport to me till it is expired (which will be after i took the exam).

I will still need my old passport to prove my identity for the exam ,because i already submitted my application

I don't know how to solve this mystery .why i can't have both my original passport and certificate of identity ?

I won't use my passport for travelling i just need it to prove my identity and i'm afraid if i sent them my passport i wont be able to take the exam.

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what is the expire date on your passport?

when is your exam?

Just to let you know, the processing time for the Certificate of Identity is around 20 business day (Exclude weekends and holidays for this month) so if you apply say, this coming Monday, you will receive your Certificate of Identity by NOV 1, 2016