+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel after Oath Ceremony

Skydec2019

Nov 8, 2021
Hi All,

My citizenship Oath is on Dec 23rd and i have travel arrangements made Prior, Travelling to Paris on 25th Dec and back on 2nd Jan2022.

I understand i will not get my Certificate or passport by 24th Dec. My question is Can i travel Outside Canada (Paris in my case) after Oath Ceremony with my Indian Passport. (OR) is there any other way . Please advise. Thank you.

canhyd3008

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
07-Oct-2014
Med's Request
13-Nov-2-14
Med's Done....
06-Dec-2014
You can travel on your Indian passport (I am assuming you have Schengen visa to visit Paris) but retuning will be a problem as you will be cutting/destroying your PR card during your oath ceremony. They do ask in ceremony whether you have any immediate travel plans but its almost impossible to get your Canadian passport within the duration which you are looking for. I suggest either you postpone your ceremony or travel plans.

Skydec2019

Nov 8, 2021
Thanks for the Information. I believe Postponing the Ceremony is the only option in my case.

If the answer is YES when they ask if i have immediate travel Plans. Do they allow me to hold the PR card for this trip. Do we know?

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the Information. I believe Postponing the Ceremony is the only option in my case.

If the answer is YES when they ask if i have immediate travel Plans. Do they allow me to hold the PR card for this trip. Do we know?
Nope, as soon as you will take the oath, your PR Card will be invalid even if you somehow manage to save it!

I am on the same boat, so now I ask CIC either to issue the certificate in a week or reschedule the ceremony.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017

You have two options

1. Cancelling or rescheduling your trip
2. Rescheduling oath.

Don't see any other way for you to travel. You can travel outbound using your Indian passport for upto 3 months after you acquire Canadian citizenship, but you wont be able to reenter canada as you wont have any documents with you.

Even if you get your citizenship certificate in a day (highly unlikely), not sure if the Canadian embassy in France can provide a passport for you to travel back as it is holiday season too

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Nope, as soon as you will take the oath, your PR Card will be invalid even if you somehow manage to save it!

I am on the same boat, so now I ask CIC either to issue the certificate in a week or reschedule the ceremony.
Even with the cert, you will have to spend time in the foreign country applying for a new passport (and that may take time if it is your first passport)

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Just curious as I'm almost in the same boat. If I don't get certificate in time and go to the US (I'm a US citizen), will they deny me entry back into Canada if I don't have a PR card, even given the special visa-free relationship the US and Canada have? Would it not be possible to (in worst case) enter as a tourist and wait for the certificate whilst at home?

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even with the cert, you will have to spend time in the foreign country applying for a new passport (and that may take time if it is your first passport)
My plan is to apply for urgent passport if I receive the certificate in two days. Urgent passport can be issued in one day from where I live.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
My plan is to apply for urgent passport if I receive the certificate in two days. Urgent passport can be issued in one day from where I live.
Ah yes - urgent can be done in a day if you apply in person and have confirmed booking

enkarthik

Dec 19, 2014
Hi All,

Need some advise on same lines. I received my oath ceremony date on Nov 29 2021. But I have my travel plans to India by mid of Jan till end of February.
I'm hoping that I will get my citizenship certificate and also the passport before my travel. But will I be able to travel to India with Indian passport and use Canadian passport to return back? I will not be able to surrender my Indian passport and obtain OCI before my travel.
Is it good to postpone my oath ceremony in this case? Please advise.

KaurAB

Dec 21, 2021
Hi All,

Need some advise on same lines. I received my oath ceremony date on Nov 29 2021. But I have my travel plans to India by mid of Jan till end of February.
I'm hoping that I will get my citizenship certificate and also the passport before my travel. But will I be able to travel to India with Indian passport and use Canadian passport to return back? I will not be able to surrender my Indian passport and obtain OCI before my travel.
Hi ! Curious to know what did you end up doing? I am in the same boat and hoping to surrender my passport and apply for entry visa instead as the processing time is faster for entry visa than OCI. Please let me know.

Harsh193

May 8, 2019
Hi All,

Hey what did you do in this situation as I am in the same situation?