+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel after citizenship test ?

apkking

Jun 5, 2018
Can we travel after taking our citizenship test ? Also how long does it take between the citizen test and oath ceremony and getting a canadian passport ? Currently my passport is set to expire in Jan 2019, so does my PR . Not sure if would get my Canadian passport By then or should I renew my old passport ?

Does anybody know how long does it normally take between test ( August ) , oath and getting a passport ?

Please help. Thanks for your input

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
When I did my interview after the test the officer asked me if I had any upcoming travel plans. I don't, so I'm not sure what happens if someone did. But I assumed it was because they would note it down so as not to schedule you for an oath ceremony when you're away.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Can we travel after taking our citizenship test ? Also how long does it take between the citizen test and oath ceremony and getting a canadian passport ? Currently my passport is set to expire in Jan 2019, so does my PR . Not sure if would get my Canadian passport By then or should I renew my old passport ?

Does anybody know how long does it normally take between test ( August ) , oath and getting a passport ?

There is a decent chance that you will have the oath before January 2019, but no guarantee.
Yes, you can travel after the test, just make sure someone is checking your mail.

The question really is when you have your oath. Once you had the oath you have to wait 48 hours, then you could apply for an urgent passport if you need it fast, which takes only 1-2 days.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011

You have not mentioned which place you have given the test or which month you started your application.
There are threads for Oct to July or Aug 2018 on the forum with respective spreadsheets where you could check the timelines of different applicants from different provinces and able to understand how fast they are given out the oath ceremony invitation.
Next if you plan to go out of Canada it is a good idea to use the webform and report your absence so that they will mark the dates on your file and most probably send a oath invitation once you are back.
If you do not report and if they send a oath invitation you will have to return as soon so as you do not miss the oath ceremony. Once you miss the oath I am not sure whether they close the file and you will have to start from scratch again.