+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of documents - FSW

mbprajapati

Star Member
Apr 29, 2012
I need to translate some of my documents for sending it to CIC. I came across following things in instruction guide.

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Do this affidavit from translator is really needed ?

Apr 24, 2014
What is an affidavit? My translator has a standard stamp which says translated is true to the original and where he puts date, signature and everything. Then I took that original to the notary where he has put another stamp saying true to the original and all his details.

mbprajapati

Star Member
Apr 29, 2012
See my question. I got that contents from Instruction guide IMM 7000. Second point says that you need affidavit from translator which says translation is true to original.

xsabhishek

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Delhi
this leads to more confusion :eek:

does CIC authorise some person/agency in india who can translate the docs to english.
If Yes, then still do we need any affidavit from the person who is translating the docs.

Also the original docs copy needs to be notarized?

cprograme84

Apr 29, 2014
Dear all,

I have similar questions like

1. Who in India (Mumbai to be specific) is authorized to do this translation. I have my wife's Birth certificate, where the entire form is in English but the entry about the birth is made in hindi.

I think once the translation document is available getting an affidavit in the name of the translation and then getting it notarized should be a simple so kindly help me with question 1.