+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferring U.S. license to Ontario and using is for few months in U.S.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
My current US visa expires in the next 4 months. I am already a Canadian PR with a PR card. My US driving license also expires along with my visa and before that happens I wanted to go to Canada (pref. Ontario) to get my US license exchanged with Canadian while it's still valid so I don't have to give any test other than eye test. The procedure for this is straightforward enough from the Ontario website, and I already have my 8+ years of clean driving history from my state (Utah).

My question is, can I use my new Canadian license to drive in US for, say, 2 months or so? This will help me get the Canadian license fairly easily and still be able to drive around the US so I can get my affairs in order here before leaving. I could not find much information on this part from the web. The DLD and DMV on my state's website has no information on this. I did read a news story where a Canadian citizen was arrested and thrown in jail for driving in the state of Georgia on her Canadian license because she didn't have proof of her Canadian citizenship on her person (she was released later and only fined and her record cleared). However, another non-official website states Canadian license in completely OK in the US.

Any information, pointers on this are appreciated.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hopefully this information will make your life easier. Ontario will accept your expired US license as long as it expired in last 12 months.

Reactions: ch671

Svanbavel1

May 12, 2018
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My current US visa expires in the next 4 months. I am already a Canadian PR with a PR card. My US driving license also expires along with my visa and before that happens I wanted to go to Canada (pref. Ontario) to get my US license exchanged with Canadian while it's still valid so I don't have to give any test other than eye test. The procedure for this is straightforward enough from the Ontario website, and I already have my 8+ years of clean driving history from my state (Utah).

My question is, can I use my new Canadian license to drive in US for, say, 2 months or so? This will help me get the Canadian license fairly easily and still be able to drive around the US so I can get my affairs in order here before leaving. I could not find much information on this part from the web. The DLD and DMV on my state's website has no information on this. I did read a news story where a Canadian citizen was arrested and thrown in jail for driving in the state of Georgia on her Canadian license because she didn't have proof of her Canadian citizenship on her person (she was released later and only fined and her record cleared). However, another non-official website states Canadian license in completely OK in the US.

Any information, pointers on this are appreciated.
Yes, you can drive in the US with your Canadian license. My husband actually kept his DL from ON and lived in the US for 5 years on Green Card and NEVER changed it since it doesn't expire until this year. We just moved to Canada last month and now it is my turn to get a DL in Canada.

Reactions: ch671

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hopefully this information will make your life easier. Ontario will accept your expired US license as long as it expired in last 12 months.
Jeez I didn't know that! Thanks for this information, this indeed makes things much easier.