Transfer money to the US

bkbk8

Star Member
Apr 3, 2016
Dallas, Texas
App. Filed.......
28-07-2016
Hi all,

I will be moving to Canada in a few weeks and want to transfer all my life savings to a Canadian bank but would like to do it before moving out of the US.

Should I open up a US $ bank account from a bank that is also located in Canada (HSBC/TD/RBC/CIBC, etc..) and when I land, I open a CAD $ at the same bank and do a transfer? If so, which bank do you suggest? Are there any that would have better benefits for newcomers?

If it matters at all, I'm currently banking with Bank of America and use their services as my main bank.

It's all of my savings and I'm looking for the least expensive best way to do it but also looking at a good bank that i can continue banking with in Canada. Also, I don't care about my money arriving quick to my Canadian account as I will be carrying some cash.

Thanks!!

GCMSBuddy

Star Member
Feb 7, 2018
Canada
Hi all,

I will be moving to Canada in a few weeks and want to transfer all my life savings to a Canadian bank but would like to do it before moving out of the US.

Should I open up a US $ bank account from a bank that is also located in Canada (HSBC/TD/RBC/CIBC, etc..) and when I land, I open a CAD $ at the same bank and do a transfer? If so, which bank do you suggest? Are there any that would have better benefits for newcomers?

If it matters at all, I'm currently banking with Bank of America and use their services as my main bank.

It's all of my savings and I'm looking for the least expensive best way to do it but also looking at a good bank that i can continue banking with in Canada. Also, I don't care about my money arriving quick to my Canadian account as I will be carrying some cash.

Thanks!!
Its better to open a US$ bank account in Canada and then transfer money in USD. CAD is fluctuating currently so USD will be more stable here. RBC and CIBC have good options for the same. You can contact them before opening an account and ask about the available deals. You can deposit a USD cheque or wire transfer the amount from your Bank of America account.

Reactions: bkbk8