+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transfer from PNP to CEC?

markusik

Jul 16, 2014
Hi there,

I'm currently part of the BC PNP. However, it's pretty likely I'll be laid off before the end of the year long before my application finishes (a lot of the team just got laid off)

I'm at this point:
1. application received (July)
2. "medicals received"

on ecas. I'm from a Visa exempt country (UK).

Is there any way to transfer my application to Canadian Experience Class since I'm eligible at this point (18 months experience, no job offer right now, about 6 months left on my WP). Can I apply through both the PNP and the CEC?

I'm trying to figure out options here, and I'd appreciate any kind of feedback. I'd really prefer not to leave Canada, but it's likely to happen at this point.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I don't think there is such a thing that can "transfer" you from one PR category to another. You have to apply from the start for CEC.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
markusik said:
Can I apply through both the PNP and the CEC?
Yes - and you should, esp. if the pending lay-off might affect your PNP eligibility. But it has to be a new application.

markusik

Jul 16, 2014
That's what I figured, though I guess I was hoping for a different answer :)

Does the CEC cap refresh on January 1st? There's still lots of room in my NOC so I'm considering assembling the necessary documents and just applying through CEC as soon as I can.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
markusik said:
Does the CEC cap refresh on January 1st? There's still lots of room in my NOC so I'm considering assembling the necessary documents and just applying through CEC as soon as I can.
Don't worry about the cap, apply as soon as you're able. Come January 2015, CIC will be implementing the new "express entry" system for economic-class applicants (including CEC applicants), and we really don't know yet how that will affect most applicants. It could be a good thing (esp. if you have a supportive employer), this is all we know so far -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/express/express-entry.asp

Conor9900

Jun 20, 2013
If you have 6 months left on your visa you should apply through CEC (under the current system if possible), there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get your AOR in time and get a bridging visa while your CEC application is being processed, then you wont have to leave Canada

markusik

Jul 16, 2014
The only document causing me some uncertainty is the proof of qualifying work experience. This section in particular:

copies of your T4 tax information slips and your Notice of Assessment (NOA) issued by the Canada Revenue agency for the period(s) of work experience you identify in your application (CIC prefferred).

Copy of work permit, an employer reference letter etc is no problem. I just don't know anything about the above.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
markusik said:
The only document causing me some uncertainty is the proof of qualifying work experience. This section in particular:

copies of your T4 tax information slips and your Notice of Assessment (NOA) issued by the Canada Revenue agency for the period(s) of work experience you identify in your application (CIC prefferred).

Copy of work permit, an employer reference letter etc is no problem. I just don't know anything about the above.
Just submit your latest one (2013) and your latest payslips. Everyone knows that the 2014 portion (NOA/T4) will be available at some point in early 2015. You may submit that once you have it.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
markusik said:

The T4 is the Statement of Remuneration Paid (slip) that usually comes from your employer as a proof your income and taxes paid. It is usually given around the first quarter of the year and before your file income in April.

You should have received the NOA in your mail in 2-3 weeks after you have filed income taxes early this year.

If you don't have a copy of your NOA, you can check this website:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/ssmnt-eng.html

Ann2014

Aug 3, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
noc 0631
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/8/2014
AOR Received.
November 13,2014
Med's Request
Jan. 28,2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 8, 2016
Hi. Why you need to transfer or change your application? Once you are already nominated by the province you can apply for open work permit which all my co workers did. All of them approved for open work permit while they are waiting for their pnp to process. Just an in put....

markusik

Jul 16, 2014
Cabalen said:
The T4 is the Statement of Remuneration Paid (slip) that usually comes from your employer as a proof your income and taxes paid. It is usually given around the first quarter of the year and before your file income in April.

You should have received the NOA in your mail in 2-3 weeks after you have filed income taxes early this year.

If you don't have a copy of your NOA, you can check this website:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/ssmnt-eng.html
Thank you very much Cabalen. I looked through that page, and vaguely remember filing that document away. Turns out I have one right here. Thank you for your information, one more piece of this puzzle.

I suppose it doesn't matter that this would have been issued when I had less than a year under my belt as long as I submit my most recent few paychecks right?

markusik

Jul 16, 2014
Ann2014 said:
Hi. Why you need to transfer or change your application? Once you are already nominated by the province you can apply for open work permit which all my co workers did. All of them approved for open work permit while they are waiting for their pnp to process. Just an in put....
Hi Ann2014, thanks for the info. I've heard of this, but I've also heard from a consultant that in 2015 the Open Work Permits issued as part of the PNP will stopped, and they'll only be giving out closed ones. I'd like to get my permanent status, as I'm very happy here.

Ann2014

Aug 3, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
noc 0631
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/8/2014
AOR Received.
November 13,2014
Med's Request
Jan. 28,2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 8, 2016
Can u contact / call your pnp officer? Seek advise directly from them which I dont know in your province the same in our province.My co workers are constantly communicating with their officers. The reason by the way I didnt apply for pnp because of settlement fund. But I think PNp is a good way to become a PR here.

markusik

Jul 16, 2014
Ann2014 said:
Can u contact / call your pnp officer? Seek advise directly from them which I dont know in your province the same in our province.My co workers are constantly communicating with their officers. The reason by the way I didnt apply for pnp because of settlement fund. But I think PNp is a good way to become a PR here.
I've gotten in touch with the BC PNP, however, they state that they'll continue my nomination with a new employer. Sounds great right? Catch is, BC PNP processing times are at 9 months, and they can't tell me if the continuation of nomination is subject to that timeframe.

So a possible 9 months just to get back into my current position, which has about 5 or 6 months remaining on it. Bringing my PR status to about 15 months away if I don't consider other avenues. (Not to mention that I am then trusting my new employer, and if things don't work out it's another however long).

I agree with you: PNP is great. However, it very much depends on the employer and the current status of the waiting times in my opinion.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
markusik said:
Thank you very much Cabalen. I looked through that page, and vaguely remember filing that document away. Turns out I have one right here. Thank you for your information, one more piece of this puzzle.

I suppose it doesn't matter that this would have been issued when I had less than a year under my belt as long as I submit my most recent few paychecks right?
That's true. When I submitted my NOA and T4, I have less than 1 year as well. Your employment reference letter should also support this and confirm your current compensation. Please see item 10 in the checklist regarding the Reference Letter. I gave this portion to my employer so that they can properly write the letter.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5610E.pdf