+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transfer from MEng to MASc

Arya68

Nov 1, 2016
I know it is bloody difficult to get into a MASc prog at UWaterloo, Queens, McGill, Concordia etc. as an international student. Like on top of that, professors don't mail you back and since there is practically no chance of finding a supervisor prior to applying, they simply reject your MASc application in the end. I therefore plan to apply as MEng and switch to MASc by taking some time there, maybe a semester or so, identifying and contacting potential supervisors. The issue is, I want to be sure whether this is wise at all. Can anybody honestly say what are my odds if success in this?

For reference my profile is:
9.21 GPA, Civil Engineering (Batch of 2016), TOEFL 109,
work exp: Currently Research asst. in a project.
Publications: 2 posters, 2 accepted papers for international conference, 2 submitted papers in peer reviewed journal.
Please help me out here!

dhaliwal_randhawa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 04, 2016
AOR Received.
May 25, 2016
File Transfer...
July 14, 2016
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
April 14, 2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Dec 12, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 16, 2016
LANDED..........
TBD
Arya68 said:
I know it is bloody difficult to get into a MASc prog at UWaterloo, Queens, McGill, Concordia etc. as an international student. Like on top of that, professors don't mail you back and since there is practically no chance of finding a supervisor prior to applying, they simply reject your MASc application in the end. I therefore plan to apply as MEng and switch to MASc by taking some time there, maybe a semester or so, identifying and contacting potential supervisors. The issue is, I want to be sure whether this is wise at all. Can anybody honestly say what are my odds if success in this?

For reference my profile is:
9.21 GPA, Civil Engineering (Batch of 2016), TOEFL 109,
work exp: Currently Research asst. in a project.
Publications: 2 posters, 2 accepted papers for international conference, 2 submitted papers in peer reviewed journal.
Please help me out here!
From my experience if you are accepted in MEngg, You have an opportunity to transfer to MASc within the same institution cause your potential supervisor can look at your courses and grades which help them to decide if they are willing to accept you.

It is possible to transfer from MEngg to MASc, You have to have a good profile to be accepted by the supervisor.

Thanks

Arya68

Nov 1, 2016
dhaliwal_randhawa said:
From my experience if you are accepted in MEngg, You have an opportunity to transfer to MASc within the same institution cause your potential supervisor can look at your courses and grades which help them to decide if they are willing to accept you.

It is possible to transfer from MEngg to MASc, You have to have a good profile to be accepted by the supervisor.

Thanks
Thanks,that really clears things up a little now. How do you find my profile though? Is it fair enough to hope for a good university like McGill, Waterloo, and Alberta, or do I concentrate on some moderate and safer universities like Concordia ?

faredtsbc

Star Member
Sep 26, 2016
Hi

It is not as hard to get into the thesis option master as you think. Given your research background, I assume you will be welcomed by most of the supervisors. Keep in mind, some universities require that you find a supervisor before you can get accepted into thesis option master, ex: Concordia U. Other Universities assign you a supervisor one they accept you, ex: Carleton U.

Me personally, I was accepted in the thesis option with zero prior research experience. However, I choose Concordia U which require you find a supervisor first which I did by the second semester.

In your case, I would apply for the thesis option directly although it is possible to transfer later if you chose to apply for the course based.

Arya68

Nov 1, 2016
faredtsbc said:
Hi

It is not as hard to get into the thesis option master as you think. Given your research background, I assume you will be welcomed by most of the supervisors. Keep in mind, some universities require that you find a supervisor before you can get accepted into thesis option master, ex: Concordia U. Other Universities assign you a supervisor one they accept you, ex: Carleton U.

Me personally, I was accepted in the thesis option with zero prior research experience. However, I choose Concordia U which require you find a supervisor first which I did by the second semester.

In your case, I would apply for the thesis option directly although it is possible to transfer later if you chose to apply for the course based.
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. So you got into Concordia's thesis masters, without actually finding a supervisor before? I thought they wouldn't accept anyone without contacting/ being accepted by a supervisor. How is it like for others like waterloo and alberta?

Also, would you share your profile if you don't mind?

faredtsbc

Star Member
Sep 26, 2016
Arya68 said:
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. So you got into Concordia's thesis masters, without actually finding a supervisor before? I thought they wouldn't accept anyone without contacting/ being accepted by a supervisor. How is it like for others like waterloo and alberta?

Also, would you share your profile if you don't mind?
No, Concordia U require finding a supervisor prior to admission into the thesis master. However, most other high-end Universities do assign you a supervisor upon acceptance. You can go to the program webpage and see how their process work and follow it.
For me, I was granted a supervisor at Carleton U upon acceptance. However, I chose Concordia U and I had to find a supervisor myself.

My profile:
Bachelor of Information Technology 83%
IELTS: 7 over all (S7.5, W6, L7, R6.5)