+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Track your PR card timeline and processing times here

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Thank you sooo much for the note! After I changed my city of birth (actually not city but my province of birth), I found the application!
Such a relief!

We all go through this - Panic > Restlessness > Irritation > Frustration > Boredom > Indifference > Worry > Anger > Panic > Restlessness ...

Cycle - Round and round and round...

Reactions: sherry111

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Hey guys. For health card, we need to provide one address proof. I wanted to ask if my name should be mentioned on the address proof if say, it’s a phone bill that I am submitting ?
Yes, they need a RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS LINKED TO YOUR NAME. It should be linked. If you give a family friend or relative... I don't think it will work... You can call the helpline and ask whether they accept a friend/relative's address as proof but it is very unlikely.

it should be -

Your Name (Mr. ABC)
Address
Street ABC
Pin 123 456

sukh807

Nov 6, 2009
Thank you sooo much for the note! After I changed my city of birth (actually not city but my province of birth), I found the application!
No worries glad I was helpful. I am sure there are people out there trying to link unsuccessfully because of this issue ..

abong

Apr 1, 2020
The online application for sin was down for a long time, i only recently managed to apply for it.

Hey! Thanks for this update. I too tried to apply for the SIN. I was wondering, is there any way around the requirement to have your name printed on the document submitted for the proof of address ? What document did you submit for this ?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I submitted a rental form i signed for where i'm staying that has all the details, and a communication where the lady confirmed my reservation.

All utilities are included, so i don't have any bills in my name.

I'm hoping it's enough, because it has my name and is signed and stamped by them.

What are you submitting as POA? I think it's hard to get around it not having your name on it. Can the landlord give you a letter saying you are staying there?

It's frustrating, because ordinarily this is like a 10 minute process in a Service Canada office.

And there's nothing you can do without a SIN.

Last edited:

abong

Apr 1, 2020
I submitted a rental form i signed for where i'm staying that has all the details, and a communication where the lady confirmed my reservation.

All utilities are included, so i don't have any bills in my name.

I'm hoping it's enough, because it has my name and is signed and stamped by them.

What are you submitting as POA? I think it's hard to get around it not having your name on it. Can the landlord give you a letter saying you are staying there?

It's frustrating, because ordinarily this is like a 10 minute process in a Service Canada office.

And there's nothing you can do without a SIN.
Thanks for the update. Currently I am subletting in a friends apartment (kinda informally) and probably have no means of getting a letter from the landlord - but I could give it a shot , thanks for the idea. In your case - by rental form are you referring to a form you signed for a long term stay in an AirBnB (something along those lines)?

I guess the best course of action would be to hope for the Service Canada office to open. Too many battles to fight - no PR card, no SIN - quite the existential dilemma to be here right now haha

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
What's worse is that i don't think they even usually ask for POA when you apply in person, or even by mail because they know you're in Canada.

It seems the POA is only for online applications.

Yeah, it seems they are slowly opening up, i wouldn't be surprised if some Service Canada offices will start opening up.

I know, a lot of people are doing everything they can to land now, but the truth is it's the worst time to be here, because you can't do anything except eat, sleep, and watch netflix. The highlight of my day was getting a french vanilla at Tim Hortons.

You're here but you can't do anything, not even go out lol.

It's the worst.

Last edited:

Jabya

May 29, 2019
I know, a lot of people are doing everything they can to land now, but the truth is it's the worst time to be here, because you can't do anything except eat, sleep, and watch netflix. The highlight of my day was getting a french vanilla at Tim Hortons.

It's the worst.
+1

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
What's worse is that i don't think they even usually ask for POA when you apply in person, or even by mail because they know you're in Canada.

Yeah, it seems they are slowly opening up, i wouldn't be surprised if some Service Canada offices will start opening up.

It's the worst.
If it is not too private, may I ask how you could rent a place with a contract? People keep asking for credit score, etc. which I am assuming most of the newcomers don't yet have..

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It's short term, so they didn't ask me many questions. The lady did ask me what i was doing, i just said i landed as a new immigrant, and she didn't ask me much more.

I think if it was longer term she'd possibly go more in depth on the other stuff. I had originally asked her about a contract, but she said they only provide that for long term tenants.

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
It's short term, so they didn't ask me many questions. The lady did ask me what i was doing, i just said i landed as a new immigrant, and she didn't ask me much more.

I think if it was longer term she'd possibly go more in depth on the other stuff. I had originally asked her about a contract, but she said they only provide that for long term tenants.
Gotcha! Was this something you found through a website or through word of mouth?

Vivir_Y_Aprender

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019

It's the worst.
Your next highlight should be getting TIMBITS! They are like mini doughnut balls...

Other places you should try - A&W, Dairy Queen, Harvey's, Nandos, Hero Certified Burgers, Little Ceasars, Boston Pizza, Pizza Pizza, Popeyes, SECOND CUP! etc... Other chains like pizza hut, dominos and subway are toooo generic and available globally everywhere.... from small towns to big cities....

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Gotcha! Was this something you found through a website or through word of mouth?
I found it on: www.torontorentals.com

There was another great website that aggregated all the ads from several websites into one place. It was really interesting but i couldn't find it again.

Your next highlight should be getting TIMBITS! They are like mini doughnut balls...

Other places you should try - A&W, Dairy Queen, Harvey's, Nandos, Hero Certified Burgers, Little Ceasars, Boston Pizza, Pizza Pizza, Popeyes, SECOND CUP! etc... Other chains like pizza hut, dominos and subway are toooo generic and available globally everywhere.... from small towns to big cities....
Yeah i've had timbits, :) They're nice especially if you want to have some variety lol.

I've had a lot of the ones you mentioned,when i was self-isolating for 2 weeks, i ordered food every day.

To be honest i'm still ordering food most days now lol.

I've been trying out all the fast food chains that i've found only in Canada as well.

Last edited:

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
I found it on: www.torontorentals.com

There was another great website that aggregated all the ads from several websites into one place. It was really interesting but i couldn't find it again.
Got it! One last question.. :) As I am not familiar with the process, did they ask you to give them a copy of your passport, COPR, etc.? As anyone can make these websites, this would be like someone random asking for your ID information(unless they are somehow verified on the website -- like it is on AirBnb)..

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Honestly, i've heard a lot of horror storries on Airbnb about hosts (not in terms of ID theft, but just false advertising, unreliability, etc), so i'd be careful, because their verification is not that thorough at all.

I got lucky that i rented directly from a property management company, so i didn't feel like it was an issue to give them a copy of my ID. I also had to give a copy of my ID to my first landlord for my first apartment, which i booked on agoda. I was initially hesitant, but they had many reviews from guests so it seemed safe to assume they were legit.

It's pretty standard to provide a copy of your ID to a landlord, but i would always meet them first and try to read whether they seemed trustworthy. I would not give them a copy of my COPR, you don't have an obligation to provide evidence of your immigration status from what i understand. At most if they wanted to see it i could show them, but i would not allow them to make a copy.

I also don't usually give a copy of my passport, i have a national ID from my home county, i prefer to give that because good luck to them trying to do anything with it lol. I know not everyone has one in their country however, so they have to provide their passport.