+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist visa is about to expire. Can I drive to the border..?

wtfrutalkingabout

Oct 17, 2012
I'm not asking here about my work permit, just explain my situation.. my questions are about the tourist visa.
I have a problem, my employer has an open LMO with no name and he wants to apply for me and it takes about 3 weeks to 'put' my name on the LMO.
Now I'm in Canada as a tourist, I know that if I apply for a work permit now it'll take about 2-3 months, I have no problem with waiting I'm just worried about my status.
I've heard that it's possible to get the work permit at the border if u have positive LMO without waiting, now my question is if I do that before my tourist visa expires and the immigration officer won't give me the work permit- will they let me enter Canada again as a tourist (renew my tourist visa) until I get the work permit? I do not have a visa to enter America, is it possible that I'll be stuck between 2 countries?

Thanks.

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
wtfrutalkingabout said:
I'm not asking here about my work permit, just explain my situation.. my questions are about the tourist visa.
I have a problem, my employer has an open LMO with no name and he wants to apply for me and it takes about 3 weeks to 'put' my name on the LMO.
Now I'm in Canada as a tourist, I know that if I apply for a work permit now it'll take about 2-3 months, I have no problem with waiting I'm just worried about my status.
I've heard that it's possible to get the work permit at the border if u have positive LMO without waiting, now my question is if I do that before my tourist visa expires and the immigration officer won't give me the work permit- will they let me enter Canada again as a tourist (renew my tourist visa) until I get the work permit? I do not have a visa to enter America, is it possible that I'll be stuck between 2 countries?

Thanks.
I am not sure about the work permit part. But as for staying in the country you can apply for a visa extension online. Once you submit the application you will have implied status until they either issue the visa or tell you it has been refused.