+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To Leon Question Regarding PR renewal hope to get your reply soon

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They also ask to see your passport when you renew your PR card. Sometimes if they see a lot of stamps, they will just refuse to give you your PR card and send you to residency questionnaire directly.

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I got lots of stamps and I travelled a lot so that means they will send me to the questionnaire what is the questionnaire thing ? is it i have to face an immigration judge ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
turboracer said:
So I got lots of stamps and I travelled a lot so that means they will send me to the questionnaire what is the questionnaire thing ? is it i have to face an immigration judge ?
If you have a lot of stamps, you need to make copies of every page of your passport and a list of all your trips and connect them together so even an idiot could see quickly that you meet the residency requirements and send that with your PR card application and bring it with you as well when you go to pick up your PR card.

If you get a residency questionnaire, it will delay your application because you will have to wait to get an interview with a judge.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
LEON,

Quick question. When you say every page of your passport. Is it all passports SINCE one became PR. Yes ?

ALSO -> Lets say I have two passports covering time I first became PR and landed and then a new one after first one expired. Do I have to copy every 'friggin' page in both those passports and translate ALL visas (not in English) in that passport which are visas issued to me after the
date of my first landing?

But, if some of those visas were issued to me when I did not live here but just visited before moving here to live full time - then those visas are for travel out of US where I lived before - not Canada. I guess when filling out PR renewal, it goes back to exits out of Canada (as the baseline for reference). For example, if I came by air here Apr 15-20, 2006 and then back for a visit Oct 15-25, 2006 and in between lets say had visas from US for a May 2006 and Aug 2006 trip to 2 foreign countries - do I still have to translate those visas ?

WHEREAS, if I took those trips living here then it would have a more formal bearing as I am already here but those 2 examples were before I moved to live here full time but after I became PR.

AM I MAKING SENSE ? :'(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
LEON,

Quick question. When you say every page of your passport. Is it all passports SINCE one became PR. Yes ?
Only the past 5 years because that is all that immigration cares about for your PR renewal and only the pages that have stamps on them. That way, when they say, oh, look at all the stamps you have, you pull out your copies where you have written on the margins the length of each trip corresponding to the stamp. The way I would do this is I would make a list in Excel of all your trips like this

Trip Where to From To Days outside Canada
#1 Chicago, US date1 date2 date2-date1
#2 France and Belgium date3 date4 date4-date3
#3 ...
Total days outside: ??

On each copy of a page of passport, you can write on the margin with an arrow pointing at the stamp "Trip #1, see list, days outside Canada: 13" etc.

Also remember that any part of a day spent in Canada counts within so you can count both your travel days as inside.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks Leon ! OK. Agreed only last 5 years. So, never mind if that trip was taken when still living in US (and was visa issued from US) or a trip later taken from here (Canada)????

I think what I am saying/asking is as follows ===> those trips taken from US BEFORE moving here and that happened between say 2 of my visits to Canada (see my example where foreign trips out of US going overseas are sandwiched between two Canada visits) do not have to be listed in days count. but the corresponding visa photocopy pages still need explanation/translation as they fall in ther 5 yr period ?

HOWEVER, once those same trips were taken AFTER moving up here to live full time of course they impact the "Days Math". So, those foreign trips become part of BOTH the Days math And the Visa photocopies (of course)

Am I making sense ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
Thanks Leon ! OK. Agreed only last 5 years. So, never mind if that trip was taken when still living in US (and was visa issued from US) or a trip later taken from here (Canada)????
With a situation like that, I'd put on the list

#1 (city), USA date1 date2 date2-date1 Living in the US, working/studying

and then I would make another list of trips you took while you were living in the US as in:

Trip Where to Date Date Length
A
B
C

and on those copies of passport pages, I would write "Trip A, taken while living in the US, see #1 in list 1."

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks Leon.

Also, a card may be used to enter anytime before or close to its expiry date. If it says expiry of Oct 15, 2012, then it can be used say Oct 10, 2012 to enter ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
Thanks Leon.

Also, a card may be used to enter anytime before or close to its expiry date. If it says expiry of Oct 15, 2012, then it can be used say Oct 10, 2012 to enter ?
Yes. You will probably even get away with an expired PR card but the problem is unless you are visa exempt to Canada, if your card is fully expired, the airline will probably not let you board.

lotus20

Apr 14, 2012
Hello Leon,
i did read somewhere that it takes upto 10 weeks to get the renewed PR card. If true, this would mean that after 730 days spent, one needs to remain on for next 3 months to receive this card/interview. If so, one will need to fit this extra 2.5 months in the schedule for staying on in Canada.
Is this correct?
Thank you.
PS It appears strange to my own self how, having been 'gifted' this dream PR status, one is counting minimum stay requirements. Ironical......sometimes circumstances and relatives won't loosen their hold over you and won't let you free to follow your heart.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lotus20 said:
Hello Leon,
i did read somewhere that it takes upto 10 weeks to get the renewed PR card. If true, this would mean that after 730 days spent, one needs to remain on for next 3 months to receive this card/interview. If so, one will need to fit this extra 2.5 months in the schedule for staying on in Canada.
Is this correct?
Thank you.
PS It appears strange to my own self how, having been 'gifted' this dream PR status, one is counting minimum stay requirements. Ironical......sometimes circumstances and relatives won't loosen their hold over you and won't let you free to follow your heart.
This is correct. It was taking 74 days last time I checked. For a while there, it was taking much longer, 7-8 months there for a while. Unlike your first PR card which is mailed to you so you can have it mailed to relatives and have them send it to you, the renewal card needs to be picked up by you at the CIC in your town so yeah, you must wait for it.

As for your relatives, as long as they are not keeping you in a cage, I assume you are free to follow your heart and live in Canada if you want to. Maybe the relatives need to hear that you are not a child any more. You should not let yourself be bullied.

lotus20

Apr 14, 2012
Thank you, Leon.......i am not at an age when courage comes naturally. To go against simply everyone, family, spouse and venture into unknown territory, with absolutely no contacts in a strange land and no openings for accomodation despite intense exploration, no job prospects either (i'm a doctor) is not easy. Only for a fire in the heart to live and experience cultures other than what i have known all my life....and what better place than Canada where people are more rooted to their inner true nature than any other country. The difficulties seem unsurmountable. Oh well.....
Please excuse me if i post queries on this forum which may appear rather stupid.

At one time it appeared to me that it may be easier to work and earn in india and spend those funds in Canada rather than work for small monies in Canada. But then i realized that, perhaps, earning in Canada was important to show contribution to the canadian economy and a vital prerequisite for obtaining citizenship. Is that so?

Everywhere, except one place, the COPR is mentioned as IMM 5262B. Mine is IMM 5688....is it ok? Why this difference?

Scotiabank accepts account opening from India and has a branch in New Delhi too. It also has an arrangement with HDFC. The critical part is - Scotiabank accepts deposits in its indian branch only in CAD, USD or Euros! Not indian rupee. Does this mean that i need to convert my indian rupee funds to CAD and then deposit rather than a straight transfer?

Thank you for your time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only requirement to obtaining citizenship is that you have stayed for 1095 days out of a past 4 year period. If you stay in India for 3 months a year or a bit less, you could manage 1095 days in Canada in a 4 year period and then you can apply.

lotus20

Apr 14, 2012
Thank you, Leon, with this calculation for me - i have been ruminating over it.
My query about the COPR.....please do guide.
Thanks a lot.