+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To do list order question when arriving in Canada

USBR

Star Member
Feb 5, 2008
Hello everyone!

Can anyone tell me what should I do first when arriving in Canada? I am talking about for an example:

Should I first apply for SIN# then Driver’s license and then health card?

The reason I ask is because sometimes one thing depends on the other. For an example: For what I understand to apply for the health card you need some proof of address, and if I apply for the Drivers license first, it will show my address on it.

Do I get my sin# at the same date I am applying for or are they going to send in the mail?

Thank you.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
Apply for SIN# first. You will get the number same day when you apply and the card will be mailed to you after 2-3 weeks. After SIN I would recommend you to open a bank account unless you haven't done that already. As you say, to get your Health Card you need a proof of address. You might as well get your license first as you won't (in most provinces) get your Health Card until 90 days anyway (from entry - not applying).

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i totally agree with GK. apply for SIN and then open a bank account. time to get medical card depends on the place you chose to live. it tkaes 3 months in ontario and 0 days in alberta.

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
Yup, apply for SIN first. You may get your number the same day. I applied last month when I landed and unfortunately they were having computer issues that day so I didn't get the number the same day. But the card came in the mail within 2 weeks. So as long as they are not having computer problems, you'll get your number the same day.

Then of course you should open a bank account.

For the health card, I used showed a copy of my lease agreement as proof of address.

I haven't gotten a driver's license yet. The day I went, the lady said she couldn't access the system in the US (another computer issue), so I'd need to get my driving record. I just think the computer issue was the problem. Will go again. Not bothered. Still using my US license... :)

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
SIN is the first thing.. you can't do anything without a SIN.

if you don't have a rental history, some of the renters will ask for your SIN number... DO NOT GIVE IT... don't take that apartment, but don't share your SIN number. I insisted and they agreed to make a lease based on Bank Account number. The point was that in case i did any foul, they would be able to track me down from the Bank account number (which has the SIN embedded).

The lease agreement can be shown as proof of address anywhere, library, DMV office, etc, etc...

DL will generally take some time, except if you have a US license. They take about a month to issue a license against your home county's license.