+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To All 2017 applicants who are still waiting

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
many of us are hitting the 1.5-year mark soon (if not already), what’s your plan ?

We’ve done everything we can with GCMS, MP, what else is there to do? Some have hired lawyers but none of those had reported any success story with lawyers’ involvement

Doesn’t this feel like when you are asking someone out so many times without success you finally have to accept it’s probably not going to happen ? Lol

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
It took me 8 months to get citizenship..so I am in no position to give you any meaningful advise.

Just hang in there and good luck.

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
many of us are hitting the 1.5-year mark soon (if not already), what’s your plan ?

We’ve done everything we can with GCMS, MP, what else is there to do? Some have hired lawyers but none of those had reported any success story with lawyers’ involvement

Doesn’t this feel like when you are asking someone out so many times without success you finally have to accept it’s probably not going to happen ? Lol
I already tried reaching out to lawyers, it doesn't help at this stage. As long as your file is stuck somewhere pending "background check", there is nothing they can offer, especially if the application hasn't been hanging for more than 3 years let's say. Lawyers still consider a citizenship application taking up to 2 or 3 years a normal thing, given that this was the old standard. What you need to remember also is that IRCC does not in any way promise citizenship under one year, they merely mention it as an estimate only. Hence, a writ of mandamus (to demand in Latin) has no value if it doesn't support itself with very solid grounds that state the reason of the request itself.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=031&top=3

IRCC/CSIS can decide at anytime to stop or postpone processing your application for any reason they deem fit, while you sit at home thinking that some agent out there cares about what you feel. THEY DON'T.

This is my tenth year in Canada now, it's a shame after all the time/taxes I spent and I am still not a Canadian Citizen.

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014

justwaiting

Oct 25, 2018
I already tried reaching out to lawyers, it doesn't help at this stage. As long as your file is stuck somewhere pending "background check", there is nothing they can offer, especially if the application hasn't been hanging for more than 3 years let's say. Lawyers still consider a citizenship application taking up to 2 or 3 years a normal thing, given that this was the old standard. What you need to remember also is that IRCC does not in any way promise citizenship under one year, they merely mention it as an estimate only. Hence, a writ of mandamus (to demand in Latin) has no value if it doesn't support itself with very solid grounds that state the reason of the request itself.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=031&top=3

IRCC/CSIS can decide at anytime to stop or postpone processing your application for any reason they deem fit, while you sit at home thinking that some agent out there cares about what you feel. THEY DON'T.

This is my tenth year in Canada now, it's a shame after all the time/taxes I spent and I am still not a Canadian Citizen.
So here's the thing - from what I've been told for months now, my background check should be complete. About 4 months ago, my MP's office informed me that my security is done and IRCC is just verifying my residency. I've backed this up multiple times speaking to call center agents.

The reason I'm considering the mandamus route is that my residency should be complete by now, especially considering that I have not received the RQ at ANY point in the 21 months that my application processing has been ongoing. In fact, an ATIP request for my paper file revealed that the agent who interviewed me after my test (16 months ago) deemed my application to satisfy all the requirements of the Citizenship Act. Sooo.. what now?

I have and for the time being will continue to give IRCC the benefit of the doubt. I just wish there was a bit more transparency in this process. I get that some cases can be complicated, and there are high volumes of cases to process but c'mon man, throw me a bone

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
So here's the thing - from what I've been told for months now, my background check should be complete. About 4 months ago, my MP's office informed me that my security is done and IRCC is just verifying my residency. I've backed this up multiple times speaking to call center agents.

The reason I'm considering the mandamus route is that my residency should be complete by now, especially considering that I have not received the RQ at ANY point in the 21 months that my application processing has been ongoing. In fact, an ATIP request for my paper file revealed that the agent who interviewed me after my test (16 months ago) deemed my application to satisfy all the requirements of the Citizenship Act. Sooo.. what now?

I have and for the time being will continue to give IRCC the benefit of the doubt. I just wish there was a bit more transparency in this process. I get that some cases can be complicated, and there are high volumes of cases to process but c'mon man, throw me a bone
Unfortunately many people were told their applications were complete after the interview yet they are still waiting. As you said, there is a complete lack of transparency, I don't buy what they tell us about what's completed, there could be other checks happening that we are not aware of.

Jayson

Champion Member
Aug 8, 2013
Never heard a pleasant and satisfying response from the contact resources. And I wonder "Why would they want to do this"? I am losing trust in their procedural practice.

Afarp

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
let us plan this , I think we are more than 100 who face delays on this forum from GTA
1 , let us make date and time to meet up and go to media and go to IRCC minster Ahmed hussen office ( which is Toronto west.)
2 , all of us as a group send a cover letter to PMO Justin Trudeau office ottawa.
3 , all of us as a group send cover letter to MPJenny kwan , she is immigration .https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1719958788103989&id=777481999018344
this the only way we can make them to do there job ontime

Reactions: sarafandee

sarafandee

Nov 18, 2014
let us plan this , I think we are more than 100 who face delays on this forum from GTA
1 , let us make date and time to meet up and go to media and go to IRCC minster Ahmed hussen office ( which is Toronto west.)
2 , all of us as a group send a cover letter to PMO Justin Trudeau office ottawa.
3 , all of us as a group send cover letter to MPJenny kwan , she is immigration .https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1719958788103989&id=777481999018344
this the only way we can make them to do there job ontime
Don't forget me in Montreal, I'll come all the way to Toronto if needs be

Reactions: Afarp

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Never heard a pleasant and satisfying response from the contact resources. And I wonder "Why would they want to do this"? I am losing trust in their procedural practice.
Nooooooo!
You?????
You used to be so optimistic and upbeat about it .... see how this process is changing people for the worse ?....

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I called IRCC again ( don’t know why I did that since I already knew it wouldn’t resolve anything lol), but one interesting thing is, when I mentioned my 17+ months of waiting vs the 12 months ‘established timeframe ‘ the agent didn’t say it’s the average or its true for 80% of applications like they always did in the past, instead she said there were too many applicants and it would take longer for many of them, and she didn’t understand why IRCC hasn’t updated the ‘established timeframe ‘.... guess soon they will change it to 24 months just to shut people up