+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TN Visa Education Requirement

Chirag0389

Star Member
Mar 6, 2015
I have a question about TN visa. Me and my spouse both are Canadian citizens and now we want to relocate to the USA.
We both are working in IT and want to pursue that in the USA as well. My question is what are the education requirements to file for TN visa? I have looked online and it says a minimum 4 years of graduation.
Both of us have bachelor’s in computer science (BCA) from India. It was a 3-year program.
I have also done my post-graduation (2 years) in IT from Canada. But my wife has only one degree.
Am I eligible for TN visa with 3-year bachelor's degree and 2-year PG certificate? And what about my wife can she apply for TN in the future?
She can take online courses maybe an online master's or one-year full-time online course in IT from some university. Will she be eligible to apply for TN visa in the future?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a question about TN visa. Me and my spouse both are Canadian citizens and now we want to relocate to the USA.
We both are working in IT and want to pursue that in the USA as well. My question is what are the education requirements to file for TN visa? I have looked online and it says a minimum 4 years of graduation.
Both of us have bachelor’s in computer science (BCA) from India. It was a 3-year program.
I have also done my post-graduation (2 years) in IT from Canada. But my wife has only one degree.
Am I eligible for TN visa with 3-year bachelor's degree and 2-year PG certificate? And what about my wife can she apply for TN in the future?
She can take online courses maybe an online master's or one-year full-time online course in IT from some university. Will she be eligible to apply for TN visa in the future?
What profession does your job offer fit for under TN visa? Are you an Engineer? Graphic Designer?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/international-free-trade-agreements/cusma.html

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am an Engineer and my wife is Software Tester
TN visa is based on the professions list. So if you are an engineer the requirements are in the link. Your degree is not in engineering (software) which may be an issue. You will only know when you go to the border with your job offer. Don’t know where your wife fits on the professions list. May want to hire an immigration lawyer to see if eligible with your job offer.
EngineerBaccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial licence

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am an Engineer and my wife is Software Tester
When you said you an engineer, are you a professional engineer registered with your practicing province. Or are you still under Engineering in Training being supervised by a profession engineer and logging your activities?

Regarding to software enginnering, people use this term pretty loosly and they may just use the title instead of software developer.

There is no clear black and white on how software engineers are part of the TN job and if that' eligible with your job offer. I think you will need to work with your
employer's immigration lawyer to get that figured out. Without an engineering degree, I am not sure if that's considered. (or it may be ok with proper job duties description and have your application prepared properly. ) Another possiblity is under Computer System Analyst but SA do not do coding.

You can do a bit of search online to see. But an experience immigration lawyer from the US company will know. If they have been hiring from across the border.

Software tester does not fit in the TN job list.
This is a relatively recent discussion on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/tnvisa/comments/14k5imr

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl