+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips what to do while being PR?

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
Hi, I'm new to the citizenship thread. My partner and I have recently become permanent residents in Canada.

My questions is what would you recommend us to do now so we can get citizenship with no worries? :) We will be eligible to apply at the end of 2019.

I've lived in Canada since 2014 (working holiday - young professional - closed work permit - permanent residency) and she has lived here since 2015.

Do you have any recommendation what to do? So our citizenship application will be smooth...if possible.

For example... should I use credit card instead of debit card for my credit history? Should we write down every single trip outside of Canada? Should we stay living at the same address for as long as possible...etc? ;)

Thank you so much!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi, I'm new to the citizenship thread. My partner and I have recently become permanent residents in Canada.

My questions is what would you recommend us to do now so we can get citizenship with no worries? :) We will be eligible to apply at the end of 2019.

I've lived in Canada since 2014 (working holiday - young professional - closed work permit - permanent residency) and she has lived here since 2015.

Do you have any recommendation what to do? So our citizenship application will be smooth...if possible.

For example... should I use credit card instead of debit card for my credit history? Should we write down every single trip outside of Canada? Should we stay living at the same address for as long as possible...etc? ;)

Thank you so much!
Most important: do NOT lose your COPR. You need it even after becoming a citizen. Do not staple, punch, or laminate it. Keep it safe.
Keep a record of ALL your travels outside Canada including flight tickets and boarding passes.
Record of utility bills, credit card statements etc act as address proofs.
Keep all your lease agreements, and be nice to your landlords if you rent.

All these records will be useful should you get an RQ but are not required to apply.

Avoid crossing borders by land, if possible. Records are not well maintained.

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
Most important: do NOT lose your COPR. You need it even after becoming a citizen. Do not staple, punch, or laminate it. Keep it safe.
Keep a record of ALL your travels outside Canada including flight tickets and boarding passes.
Record of utility bills, credit card statements etc act as address proofs.
Keep all your lease agreements, and be nice to your landlords if you rent.

All these records will be useful should you get an RQ but are not required to apply.

Avoid crossing borders by land, if possible. Records are not well maintained.
Thanks for your reply!!

Wow you really got me with COPR. I definitely have it scanned however I'm not sure I have the original copy still :( Is that a big issue if I don't find it?

wxyz123

Sep 21, 2010

Thank you so much!
you are too jumpy...you have long way to go and no one knows if rules stay the same by that time or changes..sit back and relax and dont commit any crime..

Reactions: elisha79

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
I would second wxyz123. Do not commit any indictable or hybrid crime (or any crime really, but indictable or hybrid crime specifically would complicate your citizenship application).

Understand how a criminal charge or conviction affects your eligibility for citizenship and your admissibility. Understand the difference between summary, hybrid and indictable offenses. If you got into trouble, make sure the lawyer understands the implication of conviction to your immigration status. You may think that you would never get in trouble, but so did every single person that got in trouble. Nobody wakes up in the morning thinking they would get arrested, but some still do. It's better to be prepared (seemingly 'minor' offense like DUI, for example, is a hybrid offense, which can potentially reset your citizenship clock for another four years).

Keep spotless and perfect exit/entry record. CBSA mostly only has entry record, so for every entry that CBSA might see on their system, make sure you have the corresponding exit (say you entered Canada on January 1 2018 and December 1 2017, make sure the trips that correspond to these entries are recorded, and be prepared to defend yourself if challenged).

Canadian citizenship (and PR) residency requirement depends solely on physical presence. You either have the required number of days, or you don't. None of the subjective residency nonsense.

Do not misrepresent. Mistakes can be corrected, but if you willfully misrepresent or lie (say, on the number of days or on criminal record), it will follow you the rest of your life, and your citizenship can be revoked on that basis ALONE at any time.

IMO, the hard part is getting PR. Once you're in, it's just a matter of time and satisfying other 'common sense' requirements for you to become a citizen.

Reactions: wxyz123 and Nki

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

Thank you so much!
It is a common misconception that any of the following are relevant for a citizenship application:
- your credit history/score
- if you are employed or not
- how much money you make
None of these do in any way matter for citizenship.

I concur with what was said above: There are so many unknowns in the citizenship application process that there is no point in trying to "design your life around it". You should of course not base the decision to move or not to move on the question "will this affect my citizenship application". Please move if it's better for you money/location/neighbourhood wise etc. You know, actual reasons :)

This has been said above but just to emphasize again, always keep any documents you used for immigration purposes. Old passports, CoPR, visas and so on.

Not commiting any crimes helps of course but I think that's common sense :)

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
You can do the following:
1. Pray that an eventual conservative government doesn't change the rules
2. Buy a house, have some kids and relax :)

Reactions: wxyz123

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
My questions is what would you recommend us to do now so we can get citizenship with no worries?
Personally, I recommend that you kick back and enjoy the freedoms living here provides. Enjoy your friends and family, have a few parties, go sit by a lake, make a snowman......whatever floats your boat. When it comes time to apply, study up (preferably over a glass of wine).

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
As others alluded on, keep impeccable records on your entries/exits.

I recommend keeping a spreadsheet and update it right after a trip. If you are spreadsheet savvy, you can add macros and formulas where every time you add an entry, it keeps track of your total days in/out of Canada and gives you the date estimate you will be eligible to apply (which of course will keep shifting as you add new absences from Canada)

Reactions: YVR123 and Quiches

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
I strongly second Keesio with the spreadsheet advice!

Here is some of my own:

- A clean and comprehensive Excel spreadsheet every time you exit and enter Canada. Make sure to file the accurate dates even if it is just a day trip across the border. (Super easy to make and make it a habit! Will make your application life infinitely better!)

- Be sure to state the reason for every trip and all the countries visited during one single trip (ex: Europe trip with lots of countries and you don't have stamps for each country) on your spreadsheet; sometimes after five years you just cannot remember.

- If you travel a lot or continue to spend a significant amount of time in your country of origin, either for work or leisure, keep track and calculate your residency days in advance. If you know you need to travel 150+ days next year, make sure to compensate for it by not making any unnecessary trips this year. Plan more days in Canada in a year than residency requirement dictates (~198 days) for future emergency trips and buffer for application/ change of policy.

(Ex: I travel and stay in other countries for work a great amount of time and I have forfeited the first two years of my PR because I was around 50 days short of qualifying)

- Be organized and make sure not to lose important documents: all your PR documents (especially your landing record), birth certificate, marriage records, previous passports, previous PR cards, tax records, employment records, lease records (in the event of a RQ) etc. It will also be beneficial to keep less important documents: flight tickets, vacation records, etc.

Lastly, enjoy Canada and all it has to offer! It is an incredible country and we are all amazingly privileged to call it home.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
In addition to the above:
- pay taxes and file tax returns
- don't get involved into the terrorist activities

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012

Thank you so much!
Permanent Employment with a reputable Company/Employer is the best proof of residence...try to maintain employment for 3 years or more, keep your pay-stubs + your passport stamps + accurate travel records maintained and within reach.

I was asked only 1 question in the citizenship interview "how long have you been with your current employer & describe your job duties? I answered 3+ years, gave an overview of my role/responsibilities..and that was it. The rest was just a casual conversation.

Last edited:

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Its not so bad, i had two land crossings to the US, there were no questions asked...IRCC had all the records in file and it matched what i have declared in the form.
Well, I should've mentioned the US doesn't maintain good records, especially the instantly available i94 records. But good to know, Canada maintains them. Thanks!