+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time to say goodbye

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After 15 months of wait I had the privilege of becoming Canadian citizen last Thursday morning...so it´s time for me to say good bye to the forum.

Thanks to everybody...I hope you guys have your oath ceremony very soon...and remember the Cons in the next federal election in 2015

Goodbye everybody

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !![/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Maverick.Canajun

Jul 6, 2014
Windsor, Canada
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Nomination.....
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
18-12-2014
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
11-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
Interview........
Waived 3rd Line 09-04-2015
Passport Req..
29-05-2015 Decision Made : 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-06-2015 Passport Returned : 12-06-2015
FL1040 said:
After 15 months of wait I gad the privilege of becoming Canadian citizen last Thursday morning...so it´s time for me to say good bye to the forum.

Thanks to everybody...I hope you guys have your oath ceremony very soon...and remember the Cons in the next federal election in 2015

Goodbye everybody

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !! Goodbye !![/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
You should come back sometimes, to help other people in their journey.
Congratulations :p

ilovemma

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FL1040 said:
After 15 months of wait I gad the privilege of becoming Canadian citizen last Thursday morning...so it´s time for me to say good bye to the forum.

Goodbye everybody

Congrats Buddy, I agree with Maverick. Visit the forum sometimes. Inputs from fellas like you gives us the hope that day will come all of us too. :)

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FL1040 said:
After 15 months of wait I had the privilege of becoming Canadian citizen last Thursday morning...so it´s time for me to say good bye to the forum.

Goodbye everybody

Congratulations. The Cons are anti-immigrant. No one should actually vote for them.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
SinghLovCan said:
Congratulations. The Cons are anti-immigrant. No one should actually vote for them.
You will be (or maybe not be) surprised that there are many Canadians who are not pro-immigration.

And maybe even more surprising is that many NEW Canadians who just got citizenship support stricter laws on immigration. Just goes to show that most people only care when the issues apply to them.

Maverick.Canajun

Jul 6, 2014
Windsor, Canada
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Nomination.....
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
18-12-2014
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
11-03-2015
Med's Done....
28-03-2015
Interview........
Waived 3rd Line 09-04-2015
Passport Req..
29-05-2015 Decision Made : 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-06-2015 Passport Returned : 12-06-2015
keesio said:
You will be (or maybe not be) surprised that there are many Canadians who are not pro-immigration.

And maybe even more surprising is that many NEW Canadians who just got citizenship support stricter laws on immigration. Just goes to show that most people only care when the issues apply to them.
Agree! I see it happening in Singapore too.

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
congrats ;D

I attended a job search workshop 2 months after arriving here 4 years ago with about 20 other newcomers (max 1 year in Canada). 2 of them kept saying and really arguing with the instructors that the best thing Canada can do is to stop immigration to enable peoble who are already here to find jobs.

The strongest supporter of this has been in Canada for only 3 months ??? ??? ???

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Jes said:
congrats ;D

I attended a job search workshop 2 months after arriving here 4 years ago with about 20 other newcomers (max 1 year in Canada). 2 of them kept saying and really arguing with the instructors that the best thing Canada can do is to stop immigration to enable peoble who are already here to find jobs.

The strongest supporter of this has been in Canada for only 3 months ??? ??? ???
Yes basically people often want what is best for them. When immigrating, they want easier immigration rules. Once they are done, they don't mind if it is tightened if it will benefit them.

I was talking with a recent new citizen about how immigration is getting harder and harder all the time. He actually said he doesn't mind and actually phrased it as the tougher it gets, the more "valuable" his status is. His parents plan on setting him up with a bride from his home country and his value as a potential mate goes up if a Canadian residency/citizenship is harder to get and it allows for him a better selection (bride). His end goal is to obtain a US green card which increases his value even more as he put it. Using citizenship as an advantage in the dating scene is certainly a new wrinkle..

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
keesio said:
Yes basically people often want what is best for them. When immigrating, they want easier immigration rules. Once they are done, they don't mind if it is tightened if it will benefit them.

I was talking with a recent new citizen about how immigration is getting harder and harder all the time. He actually said he doesn't mind and actually phrased it as the tougher it gets, the more "valuable" his status is. His parents plan on setting him up with a bride from his home country and his value as a potential mate goes up if a Canadian residency/citizenship is harder to get and it allows for him a better selection (bride). His end goal is to obtain a US green card which increases his value even more as he put it. Using citizenship as an advantage in the dating scene is certainly a new wrinkle..
I've known a lot of people like this -- they have a weird ranking of countries, the US always comes out on top which makes me suspect that the hierarchy is based on the ability to kick ass . . . I don't understand it, to me the quality of life in the country, and the policies it has towards social services and workplace dignity/autonomy are far more important.

As to the general observation, I think that immigration is getting harder everywhere. There have always been only a few countries that permit mass immigration, unrelated to employment or marriage, and all of these are tightening up. Canada might be the loosest, but now when it moves to a EOI model next year, that isn't going to be true any more. I don't think I care for this trend too much, of course it's gratifying in a stupid way when you're on top, but a world where people on the bottom can't move is not that great a place.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
on-hold said:
I've known a lot of people like this -- they have a weird ranking of countries, the US always comes out on top which makes me suspect that the hierarchy is based on the ability to kick ass . . . I don't understand it, to me the quality of life in the country, and the policies it has towards social services and workplace dignity/autonomy are far more important.
I understand it. Most immigrate to here for economic reasons. They just want an opportunity economically. That was the deal with my parents to the US. And the US always had a reputation for allowing you to move up the ladder if you work hard. That is a stereotype that is still true but was especially true decades ago. Same with Canada. All the other stuff takes a back seat to the opportunity to economically improve yourself. Once you've "made it" economically, then the other stuff starts to become important (quality of life, etc). But in the beginning, it is all economics. And even now the US still comes out on top despite all its issues. Sure, Japan is a better place to live when you look at other factors but for a new unskilled ethnically non-Japanese immigrant, trying to make it in Japan is not going to be a pleasant experience. Places like that are good if you are in an in-demand profession and you get a job offer to go there.

on-hold said:
As to the general observation, I think that immigration is getting harder everywhere. There have always been only a few countries that permit mass immigration, unrelated to employment or marriage, and all of these are tightening up. Canada might be the loosest, but now when it moves to a EOI model next year, that isn't going to be true any more. I don't think I care for this trend too much, of course it's gratifying in a stupid way when you're on top, but a world where people on the bottom can't move is not that great a place.
Yup, people look for excuses on why their life is not better and immigrants are always an easy target.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
SinghLovCan said:
And we should vote for what exactly? Liberals? No, thank you. I work hard for my money and I already pay too much in taxes. I don't need more of my money taken out of my paycheck.

The liberals will increase my taxes. It's the bread and butter of their platform. It's what they do. And it's not just income taxes. It's all sorts of taxes they introduce: higher sales taxes, higher gasoline taxes, probably more environmental fees for every electronic product you buy. Maybe you don't mind being screwed every which way possible but I have my head in the right place and I do mind.

The cons may be anti-immigrant, yes but why should that concern me?? I'm already in. I'm not affected by that policy.

Yea yea yea, I know what you're about to say: I'm a racist, anti-immigrant, etc, etc. blah blah blah.

Leave my personal feelings on immigration out of this discussion because that's not what this topic is about. Truth is, you can't explain to me why an anti-immigrant policy that does not affect me should make me stay away from the Conservatives.

Jes

Dec 10, 2007
marcus66502 said:
blah blah blah

Yea yea yea, I know what you're about to say: I'm a racist, anti-immigrant, etc, etc. blah blah blah.

Leave my personal feelings on immigration out of this discussion because that's not what this topic is about. Truth is, you can't explain to me why an anti-immigrant policy that does not affect me should make me stay away from the Conservatives.
No you are not a racist. In the bast case you are an ignorant libertarian, in the worst case you are an idiot who believes that a society like the Canadian can function without taxes and that these taxes don't increase.

The second bolded makes me believe you are the latter: it does not affect you (and now me) yet. Show me one conservative government in the world at any time in history who was fiscally responsible without almost destroying the society it was in and leaving, after a brief relief, more damage than it wanted to fix (Thatcher says hi).

And if you define the deference between Cons and any other party here in Canada as just a tax issue, you are beyond help. But hey, we are in a democratic society: Stances like yours make me more happy that although I got me citizenship exactly on the election day June the 12th, I could persuade at least 12 people to not vote cons. I btw voted liberal, and would have done that too if the candidate name was Mr. Much More Taxheimer.