+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

EricandLinda

Star Member
Nov 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London - UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Apr-2014
AOR Received.
05-June-2014
File Transfer...
26-June-2014
Med's Done....
07-Mar-2014
Passport Req..
09-Oct-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
29-Nov-2014
Hey guys, quick question :)

We received request for passport photo and immigration photos on Oct 9th to finalize our application. My wife (principal applicant) is currently out of the country. Her current status is visitor. When she gets back on Oct 19th, I assume that the border guys will still assume she's a visitor? Will there be any mix ups since she's been technically approved, but is officially a visitor?

Also, once we get the COPR in the mail... is she automatically a PR? Or will we have to leave the country and re-enter?

Thanks

Chevy23

May 1, 2014
Vancouver Island
EricandLinda said:

We received request for passport photo and immigration photos on Oct 9th to finalize our application. My wife (principal applicant) is currently out of the country. Her current status is visitor. When she gets back on Oct 19th, I assume that the border guys will still assume she's a visitor? Will there be any mix ups since she's been technically approved, but is officially a visitor?

Also, once we get the COPR in the mail... is she automatically a PR? Or will we have to leave the country and re-enter?

Thanks
You are basically not approved until you have your copr in hand

You can say to the boarder guys that you are just waiting for you copr to arrive in the mail, you could maybe print screen your ecas status to show them as proof

So yes she will have to enter as a visitor (there should be no mix up here as long as you explain and show proof) and then when you get the copr, she will then have to leave either by land or air and then re enter the country to activate the copr and become a pr

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
EricandLinda said:

Thanks
you are not officially a PR until the COPR is processed by CBSA at a border. There is a quick "landing interview" where CBSA will stamp and sign the COPR and the applicant "officially" becomes a PR. Even if she has the COPR, and doesn't present it, she is not technically a PR. She will remain a visitor each time she enters canada until she hands CBSA her COPR and they process it. So if she's in canada while she receives the COPR, she must either leave and come back by air or land. If someone doesn't "land" before the COPR expires, then they will need to start the process all over again.

lsh3

Oct 14, 2014
Hello!

First off this forum has been really helpful as my CL partner (British Citizen) and I wait for his visa.

My question is: We lived together for 1.5 years in the UK which qualified us for CL status but while waiting for visa to be approved, my UK visa expired and I have recently had to return to Canada while we continue to wait. I've read conflicting advice about moving apart during the application process. How likely do we think it is that we will fall out of status (considering we are still continuing a [conjugal?] relationship while apart)?

We were initially asked to submit proof of cohabitation and proof that I intend to return to Canada once he has been approved. I am now in Canada so we are no longer living together but they are now asking for proof of cohabitation and proof that we continue to live together - which we aren't.

We sent them a Sat. Dec. of CL Union as requested. Will this help?

Feeling very anxious. Any reassuring words out there?

(You can add us to spreadsheet if you like)
Visa Office: Ottawa
Closest City: Bristol UK
App. Filed: May 7, 2014
Sponsor Approval: July 8, 2014
Additional Documents Req: Aug 2, 2014
Additional Documents Req: Oct 20, 2014
RPRF Req: Oct 10, 2014
Meds Done: Upfront

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
lsh3 said:
Hello!

First off this forum has been really helpful as my CL partner (British Citizen) and I wait for his visa.

My question is: We lived together for 1.5 years in the UK which qualified us for CL status but while waiting for visa to be approved, my UK visa expired and I have recently had to return to Canada while we continue to wait. I've read conflicting advice about moving apart during the application process. How likely do we think it is that we will fall out of status (considering we are still continuing a [conjugal?] relationship while apart)? They have requested additional information about cohabititation twice - the first time asking for evidence (which we sent but they did not receive) and the second time asking for evidence and proof that we continue to live together, which we do not.

Feeling very anxious. Any reassuring words out there?
It could go either way. It would be best if your British partner comes to Canada, even if it's just on a visitors' visa, or if you move back to the UK on a visitor visa, until your PR comes through. IN the meantime, just provide what you can.

The official line is that once you establish common-law you can be apart and it shouldn't be a problem, but as you have worked out, this is something that is argued about regularly on here. (canuck_in_uk and I had a disagreement about it a few pages back, starting about here - http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-london-uk-applications-t49436.0.html;msg3550437#msg3550437).

I'm in the camp that you should NOT risk CIC deeming your common-law application void by living apart. Canuck_in_UK believes that once common-law is established what you do afterwards doesn't matter. We agree to disagree.

So all you can do is provide what you can and see what the result is, because there certainly is not agreement on here about what to do.

My advice is for one of you to get to the other country ASAP.

PS, if you'd like to be added to the spreadsheet, thta would be great - we always appreciate more data on there. The link can be found in my signature. If you want to be added, then provide:
-Date application received in Mississauga
-Whether you applied as Married or Common-Law
-Date of sponsor approval
-Which office is processing Phase 2 of your application (will say on your sponsor approval letter/email)
-Date(s) of any other requests you've had
-Whether or not the principal applicant is non-visa exempt
-Current location of the principal applicant- closest major city is fine if you don't want to be too specific!

lsh3

Oct 14, 2014
Thank you for the speedy reply SchnookoLoly!

So frustrating waiting and not knowing. If I had known this earlier I would have moved right back to UK on a temp visa instead of trying to establish a life for us here!

I've added our info to my original post.
Thanks again! Fingers crossed!

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Added you in.

Let us know what you decide to do, and how you progress!

lsh3

Oct 14, 2014
SchnookoLoly said:
Added you in.

Let us know what you decide to do, and how you progress!
Thank you.

It's too late to go back now. I imagine they are near making their decision. My partner has moved into shared accommodation in the UK to save up some money so I wouldn't even be able to move back to the same address. He is coming here to visit next month but only for a week.

Do you think there is anything an MP or lawyer could do to help before a decision is made?

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
lsh3 said:
Thank you.

It's too late to go back now. I imagine they are near making their decision. My partner has moved into shared accommodation in the UK to save up some money so I wouldn't even be able to move back to the same address. He is coming here to visit next month but only for a week.

Do you think there is anything an MP or lawyer could do to help before a decision is made?
Don't bother with MP or lawyer.

Basically, provide what you can. Explain the visa ran out and you moved back to start setting up your life in Canada. Provide evidence of what you've done so far. Provide evidence of your partner's plans to MOVE to Canada (not just to visit) - the more concrete the better, like actually having a signed rental agreement, or evidence of him applying for jobs or at least speaking to recruiters for positions, and so on. It will just come down to whether or not CIC deems you still common-law partners or not.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Sibby

Star Member
Oct 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 Nov 2014
Doc's Request.
IMM 5406 27 Jan 2015
AOR Received.
11-02-2015
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Done....
25 Sept 2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
DM - 31 October 2015 - COPR arrived 16 December 2015
LANDED..........
18 December 2015!!!
Hello

I am getting all my paperwork ready to submit hopefully by end of October however I have a few questions to ask. I have recently got a new passport (British) in my married name but I have an observation in my passport stating that I am also known by my maiden name. I have obtained police clearance in the countries that I have previously resided in but they are in my maiden name. I used my foreign passport for these application as my British passport hadn't come out when I made the application for police clearance. Do you think this will cause any problems. I hold dual citizenship, but am applying using my British passport details.

Secondly my husband can't find the dates when he obtained his permanent residency and citizenship in Canada, any idea where he can obtain these dates.

LAst question, does my husband (sponsor) need to complete the Additional Family Form or is it just me.

Sorry for the questions. Am just anxious to get everything right.

Green5

Sep 24, 2014
Hello everyone,

Well some good news (I hope!) on our front. This morning I checked online our application status and it indicated "decision made" !!! I just could not believe it. Apparently our file has started being processes on Oct 10.

I suppose we will now be waiting for the mail man!
For info: our applications was processed via the Ottawa office (we sent our application from the UK) and arrived on June 13th. So it was relatively quick I think.

I really hope that it will go fast also for everyone else waiting. It's not very pleasant to wait!

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Sibby - I THINK you should be ok, just include scans of both the old and new passport and add a note saying it was renewed after police checks were done. Include a copy of your marriage certificate showing both surnames and you should be fine.

Additional Family I believe is only in the section for the sponsored person (principal applicant), so only that person completes that form.

Green5 said:
Hello everyone,

Well some good news (I hope!) on our front. This morning I checked online our application status and it indicated "decision made" !!! I just could not believe it. Apparently our file has started being processes on Oct 10.

I suppose we will now be waiting for the mail man!
For info: our applications was processed via the Ottawa office (we sent our application from the UK) and arrived on June 13th. So it was relatively quick I think.

I really hope that it will go fast also for everyone else waiting. It's not very pleasant to wait!
Fantastic news! Don't forget to let us know when you get COPR in the post. Ottawa and Mississauga certainly seem to be pretty swift in getting things up and running, so that's great news! Congratulations!

dan888

Sep 2, 2014
Please update us, today received request for copy Bio Page from Passport, Updated Information page and photos! Will be sent recorded delivery to London today!

Thanks

hgauhar

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 July 2014
AOR Received.
28 Aug 2014
Med's Request
25 March 2015
Med's Done....
2 Apr 2015
Passport Req..
20 Jul 2015
VISA ISSUED...
12 august 2015
LANDED..........
17 august 2015
Hello
please update my information in spreadsheet:

name: hgauhar
application sent:25-May-2014
Sponsorship approval recieved: 28-August-2014
Medicals recieved:11-July-2014
Processing Office:London
Relationship status: Married

Green5

Sep 24, 2014
SchnookoLoly said:
Fantastic news! Don't forget to let us know when you get COPR in the post. Ottawa and Mississauga certainly seem to be pretty swift in getting things up and running, so that's great news! Congratulations!
Thank you, you've always been really supportive and it's incredibly appreciated. My mom is now in hospital (not going very well) so she'll be quite happy to know that we will soon-ish be on our way.

I will definitely keep on updating you, all this info is so useful to everyone. I suppose that the COPR refers to the confirmation or permanent residence? (So that letter we'll get in the post which according to another person on the forum disappointingly comes in a normal brown enveloppe with no glitter nothing!?)

Thanks for having updated us as well on the spread sheet!