+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

BBG83

Aug 15, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Passport Req..
Exempt
Me again.

Ok so I've definitely started to freak out about this process after reading posts on here. Why must everything be so confusing!?

I've started to look at the application even though we've yet to officially marry (16 days to go!)

I was going to change my name to my soon-to-be husband's surname. But it asks on the application to sponsor for the surname listed on my passport. I'm not really keen on adding more wait time for my new passport to arrive before sending in the application for his spousal visa. Should I not change my surname until after all this kerfuffle has been dealt with?

I've yet to receive an answer to my previous post as well. From my understanding, we're good to get married while he's here on a visitor visa. But to be let into the country without problem, should he be honest and say we're planning on marrying or should he just say he's here to visit family or friends?

Loooooong road ahead of us. It's all worth it in the end, I know, but until then I'm sure it'll be a headache.

Please, I'd like some good news, and my questions answered positively! :) Thanks.

Aperture

Star Member
Oct 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
30-09-2011
Passport Req..
None! Direct to COPR.
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2012
LANDED..........
06-02-2012
BBG83 said:
I was going to change my name to my soon-to-be husband's surname. But it asks on the application to sponsor for the surname listed on my passport. I'm not really keen on adding more wait time for my new passport to arrive before sending in the application for his spousal visa. Should I not change my surname until after all this kerfuffle has been dealt with?
If I were you, I'd wait for all the immigration stuff to be done before you go about legally changing your surname. This could mean a wait of up to a year, but bear in mind that you are allowed to use your new name socially/unofficially without upsetting any government agency. No one needs to know (nor will anyone care) that you haven't yet changed it legally.

Hopefully some others will come around and tell you their experiences (my partner and I aren't changing our names, so this isn't something I have first-hand experience with).

BBG83 said:
I've yet to receive an answer to my previous post as well. From my understanding, we're good to get married while he's here on a visitor visa. But to be let into the country without problem, should he be honest and say we're planning on marrying or should he just say he's here to visit family or friends?
Always be honest. Lying to immigration officials doesn't tend to end well. If you're nervous, call CIC and double-check that you're free to marry in Canada whilst on a visitor visa. Then, when you arrive at border control, you won't be nervous about telling them the truth.

Aperture

Star Member
Oct 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
30-09-2011
Passport Req..
None! Direct to COPR.
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2012
LANDED..........
06-02-2012
And now a question of my very own:

I just checked eCAS and it now (finally!) says my partner's medical results have been received (for what it's worth, he submitted them with his application back in July). Is there any set timeline for how long things take after that shows up?

We're itching to get PPR already!

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Hi!
So he is in England right now? And then planning to come to Canada to get married? How long will he/his family be staying for after you marry?
He can be admitted as a visitor for upto 6 months. I would tell the truth when coming through immigration. He shouldnt have much trouble, especially if all his family are there. They may ask about plans to apply for PR, be honest say he plans to apply outland through London. Since he is visa exempt they should be ok with this. I don't know how long he's planning to stay for after you're wed, but they may ask how he plans to support himself, so be prepared. His family will be fine.
As for changing your name, its up to you. I think you will have to wait a few weeks to get the marriage certificate anyways so you could have time to get a new passport. But it is extra paperwork to worry about and not essential you change your name. You could always write on the photocopy that you intend to get a new passport with a new name.
So more things you need to sort out. Have you ordered your option C printout? You should do that right away if not. And perhaps book your husband to be in for a medical with a DMP. Your fiance should also order his police certificate if he hasnt already.
Good luck! Any more questions let me know and I'll try to help out.

Just to add to the changing name stuff. I was the one being sponsored and am in the process of changing my name. I switched over my UK drivers license in maiden name to an Ontario license with married name with no problems, just showed my marriage license. Then I used that to change over the name on my bank account and OHIP. When I go back to UK next I will change my passport, but so far have had no issues with my dual identity! Once I get the new passport I can get a new PR card, then it'll all be complete! :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aperture said:
And now a question of my very own:

I just checked eCAS and it now (finally!) says my partner's medical results have been received (for what it's worth, he submitted them with his application back in July). Is there any set timeline for how long things take after that shows up?

We're itching to get PPR already!

Only the details on the CIC website. But those numbers are not that reliable.

Maid_Marian

Star Member
May 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/07/2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
JenB said:
Hey guys! So I picked up the parcel this morning and it was my passport with a shiny new visa inside! So it took London three weeks and one day to get it back to me in Canada!! Landing is booked for January 16th after a nice weekend in the States with my oh ;D
Sweet Jen B!!

Can you tell me when your passport arrived in London? Mine got there on the 26th Nov I think, so I'm hoping they're sending it back soon! Have started looking for jobs and found 3 that start in the new year, so I want it back so I can land already!

mittens

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2011
Med's Done....
20-04-2011
still here
still waiting
fed up to the back teeth now

(to whoever asked what additional docs they required...
my son was 17 way back when i completed the application
he has since turned 18 so they wanted a schedule A completing for him

they also weren't satisfied with parental permission form childs father had signed so i managed to get another one, witnessed by solicitor this time...

and still i wait
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPFHHHHHH
feel really low

lillia123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2011
birmingham
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-11
AOR Received.
8-11-11
pinklady said:
Did you get approval via email or letter? If letter, what was it dated?
Thanks, and yo're now added to the spreadsheet :)
hi thanks for adding me.
my husband got the approval via letter in Canada,
but im not 100% sure what it was dated but I think it was 4th November 2011.
thanks

lillia123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2011
birmingham
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-11
AOR Received.
8-11-11
im getting really depressed now coz my ECAS is not changing it still says "APPLICATION RECEIVED".
and we received our approval letter on 8th November 2011...

i just wonder when it will change..........................

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
lillia123 said:
im getting really depressed now coz my ECAS is not changing it still says "APPLICATION RECEIVED".

What date does it say London received your application?
You're probably not likely to hear anything until January at least. Lots of patience is required!!

BBG83

Aug 15, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Passport Req..
Exempt
Thanks for the response, Aperture and Pinklady.

My fiance is in England right now and flies to Canada this Friday, December 9th. He has his return flight booked for January 4th. As suggested, I called CIC this afternoon and confirmed he'd be able to marry me while on a tourist visa. The man I talked to was very friendly and said that yes, being honest at customs that he's coming to Canada for our wedding is the right thing to do. All he needs is his return flight, but I said that for extra measures we'd decided to have his manager write a letter stating what date he is expected back at work. The Call Centre agent thought this was also a great idea to reduce any issues he may have. I'm also going to write a letter stating I called and that's what I was told.

His family (mum, stepdad, brother) arrives December 14th and are staying until December 26th. I will let them know that it should be okay to say they are here for our wedding and to spend Christmas.

I also called Canada Revenue Agency. That's going to be a battle for me. I just moved back to Canada near the end of last year and haven't filed taxes for 2010 (whoops!) I also had no idea I was expected to file taxes in Canada for the 2 years I lived in England so I need to do that. (Yes, I am aware that that makes me look like an idiot.) I'm calling Inland Revenue to get my UK tax forms sent to me so I can do that. Just need to find a good accountant!

I'm going to go ahead and do the name change as it looks like we'll be lucky to get the visa application in by February. By then I should have my new passport I hope.

Are there any biggies we're missing!? I'm feeling like we should've put more research into this whole thing when we first decided to get married back in August. I guess I've been focusing on setting up our pretty little Christmas wedding and not enough on the list of things we need to do to get him in the country after!

I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot from me over the next few months!

Thanks again. 4 more sleeps until he gets here! ♥

Victorfoxtrot

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-11
File Transfer...
04-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-12
LANDED..........
26-02-12
lillia123 said:

Lillia123 I am the same. Our timelines are virtually mirrored. I got a letter on the 9th Nov, dated 4th Nov. My Ecas still says Application Received as well. I'm not expecting to hear anything until January....still doesn't stop me wishfully thinking though!

lillia123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2011
birmingham
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-11
AOR Received.
8-11-11
pinklady said:
What date does it say London received your application?
You're probably not likely to hear anything until January at least. Lots of patience is required!!
my ecas just says "We received ********* application for permanent residence on August 23 2011"
i dont know when it reached London because my sponsorship application reached Mississauga cic office on 23rd August 2011.
and we got the approval letter on the 8th November 2011.

lillia123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2011
birmingham
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-11
AOR Received.
8-11-11
Victorfoxtrot said:
Lillia123 I am the same. Our timelines are virtually mirrored. I got a letter on the 9th Nov, dated 4th Nov. My Ecas still says Application Received as well. I'm not expecting to hear anything until January....still doesn't stop me wishfully thinking though!
thanks for your support Victorfoxtrot.

Victorfoxtrot

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-11
File Transfer...
04-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-12
LANDED..........
26-02-12
lillia123 said:
my ecas just says "We received ********* application for permanent residence on August 23 2011"
i dont know when it reached London because my sponsorship application reached Mississauga cic office on 23rd August 2011.
and we got the approval letter on the 8th November 2011.
Mine too - no mention that it has arrived in London, just the day it was received (Aug 30th) in Missisauga. I shall be watching your progress but in the meantime I am going to busy myself with Christmas and hopefully forget all about it!